PDA

View Full Version : Why lever guns

Mr_Flintstone
04-19-2020, 01:21 PM
Like many here, I own different types of guns; but always find myself coming back to a lever action as my overall favorite to use/shoot. The sheer longevity of the lever action says that I’m not the only one. What is it about the lever action rifle that makes it still so popular in the age of ARs, AKs, and poly-pistols? What do you like about the lever action?

Wheelguns 1961
04-19-2020, 01:28 PM
I think it is the same reason single action revolvers are still popular. They are just cool!

Elroy
04-19-2020, 02:18 PM
I can't figure out how the lever guns ,being so complex,and expensive to manufacture precede the simple,and more inexpensive to manufacture bolt gun..I do like the old lever actions from the old west,but I bet they cost a man a huge percent of his income back then.

Win94ae
04-19-2020, 02:19 PM
I bought my first one because it was cheap.
I bought my second one because I thought it would be better than my revolver for deer hunting, I was wrong.

dverna
04-19-2020, 02:29 PM
If I had to have only one gun, it would be the AR15. And the main reason is if the SHTF. Fun to shoot, accurate, can take deer if need be and plenty of firepower if things go south.

My most used rifles are .38/.357 lever actions rifles. I have three!!! I shoot mainly targets and plink, so they get used the most. Cheap to load, long case life, no case preparation except for cleaning, and I can load hundreds per hour on a progressive.

I have nine lever action guns (after downsizing), so I must like them a bit. LOL

Shawlerbrook
04-19-2020, 02:31 PM
Like said above, they are just so cooooool !!!

MT Gianni
04-19-2020, 02:34 PM
The spare parts list for a lever gun is a new set of springs and a firing pin every 50 years. I don't know what the spare set of parts for an AR is but more than an SKS. I got into them as I liked being able to have a second shot with out removing the gun from my cheek. Then I found I didn't need a second shot.
They do fit a scabbard nicer than anything else does, horse or 4 wheeler.

Der Gebirgsjager
04-19-2020, 02:38 PM
I think that, besides the lever action itself, it has something to do with their shape. The carbine style is short, handy, and all of them are narrow. Most of them are a lighter weight than a bolt action, although the latest generation of bolt actions is getting pretty light also. I'll never forget the time (about 25 years ago!) that a hunting partner and I topped a steep hill. I was breathing hard, and he seemed hardly fazed. He was carrying a Win. '94 and I was carrying a sporterized '06, probably a 2-3 lb. difference. Next trip I also had a '94. There's something just right about them. They seem to jump to the shoulder and the sights are right there.

M-Tecs
04-19-2020, 02:54 PM
Bolt actions have been around longer, are generally more reliable and accurate. That being said levers are easier to carry by hand or on a horse in a scabbard. Levers have old west romance appeal.

As to reliability I have have three lever guns go down one me due to broken parts with maybe 10,000 rounds fired. Shot boltguns more and never had one go down one me for a broken part.

Between competition, prairie dog shooting and general shooting I have well over 100,000 rounds thru AR's and I have not had one go down for a broken part. I do replace the three piece gas rings with McFarland One Piece Gas Rings.

dragon813gt
04-19-2020, 03:13 PM
Why? Because they are accurate fun to shoot rifles that will serve any practical purpose outside of military operations and extreme long range shooting.

downzero
04-19-2020, 03:26 PM
I can't figure out how the lever guns ,being so complex,and expensive to manufacture precede the simple,and more inexpensive to manufacture bolt gun..I do like the old lever actions from the old west,but I bet they cost a man a huge percent of his income back then.

Labor was cheap then.

Tar Heel
04-19-2020, 03:30 PM
Love them.

375supermag
04-19-2020, 03:35 PM
Hi...
Hard for me to make a judgement here...
I just bought a new Marlin 1894 in .44Magnum to go with my Cimarron 1873 in .45Colt and plan to buy a Henry in .357Magnum later this spring/summer.
Also own and shoot several different bolt action rifles with Sako being my favorite. Often found at the range with some AR-15 and SKS rifles as well.

Could be I just like rifles and don't want to pick a favorite design.
Pretty much have the same problem with handguns...own a bunch of different designs in all different styles, finishes and calibers.

I think I just like guns and enjoy shooting them.

TNsailorman
04-19-2020, 03:39 PM
I saw a demonstration of a lever savy man shooting a 30-30 on a timed run of 5 targets at 100 yards(1 gallon water jugs). He was shooting a Marlin 336 that was stock, no gunsmithing or other enhancements. I don't think a AR would have taken down those targets any faster. The rifle never left his shoulder and he shooting as soon as the rifle came out of recoil. Very impressive and he made a great statement for the lever action as a defensive arm. I have watch a lot of "experts" on Lee Armey's show that compared bolt rifles to semi autos and it was plain to see that they did not know how to properly operate a bolt rifle. All would pull the rifle part-way or all the way off their shoulder to operate the bolt and then some would have a balky reload(working the action for a new shell). I was taught by old timers that when the stuff hits the fan, the rifle does not leave the shoulder. And they stressed the importance of doing this when on the range or in the field. It takes a little practice but it is the way to go when speed might count. I think that might be one reason that the European countries stayed so long with the cock on closing feature. It works better on the shoulder fire than the cock on opening system. At least this has been my experience for nearly 70 years.

M-Tecs
04-19-2020, 03:57 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1BwUJ4--Qw

Bazoo
04-19-2020, 05:40 PM
Why do leveractions have such an appeal? Part of it is balance. They combine the perfect balance between compactness, style, firepower, and the ability to be brought into action quickly and swiftly.

I think romance of the west plays some part for people, but not everyone. Example, I don't really care for colts peacemaker, but I love Ruger Blackhawks. So why then do I favor leverguns? I've been trying to figure that out myself for nearly 20 years.

I keep both a levergun and a boltgun on shoulder when cycling the action.

dragon813gt
04-19-2020, 05:43 PM
Having a rifle and a reviver chambered in the same cartridge is certainly handy. Forgot to mention this in my first post. I know having loads tailored to an individual firearm yields the best results. But you can certainly get by w/ one loading for both that will yield accurate results on target.

dverna
04-19-2020, 06:18 PM
My CAS lever actions were tuned...when I was training every week I could fire 10 rounds in 6-8 seconds and that was NOT fast. I have seen guys do it in half the time. Of course these are mouse phart loads in .38 Spl's.

The .30/30 has been named the Appalachian Assault Rifle for good reason. One of the reasons I kept the .30/30's is in case AR's are ever banned. A tube full of .38's in a Marlin 1894 loaded to near .357 levels are not too shabby for a close in defensive platform either.

indian joe
04-19-2020, 11:43 PM

good argument when you look at the later lever guns - not so much comparing a toggle link - much simpler action, and the mechanism was already proved functional before the self contained metal cartridge - lever gun beats all as a carry gun - plus the cool factor.................

444ttd
04-20-2020, 01:33 AM
cuz they are kewl!!!!!!

the first rifle was given to me by my pappy. it is a win m94(1973) in 30-30. i can't remember how many deer i shot with it. the 30-30 is an ok cartridge, but i wanted something more. the '06 in a rem m700 mountain rifle was the first rifle i ever bought. its gone, but i had/have many bolts and single actions galore. this past year, i got the m94 out of the safe and i gave to JES Reboring to make a 35/30-30 out of her. jesse does a GREAT job!!!!!! i load 200gr fn gc with 20.0gr of 2400/dacron and it goes 1726fps. also i bought a williams fp peep sight cuz my eyes don't line up on three things(back sight, front sight and the target) anymore. i killed my doe last season with the 35/30 and i was impressed. the 35/30 is more than i ever need or want. if i could back, i would give it to my gunsmith(RIP) and make the m94 into a 35/30 and then i wouldn't buy anything else.

shooting the m94 in

Bad Ass Wallace
04-20-2020, 04:35 AM
Because it can be used right or left handed and because I don't feel undergunned with my 8 shot 45/70 when hunting sabre-toothed field mice! :kidding:

https://i.imgur.com/Uqbe3sJl.jpg

brass410
04-20-2020, 06:24 AM
the same reason, no1 rugers, and other singles. Cool, elegant, good lines, very functional and dependable. A besides that they're levers.

Bad Ass Wallace
04-20-2020, 08:44 AM
I guess a single shot lever gun isn't out of place

https://i.imgur.com/a8ibhKXl.jpg

popper
04-20-2020, 09:33 AM
You can chamber the next shot while on horseback. Plus they are Kool.

Drm50
04-20-2020, 09:38 AM
I have several levers over 100yrs old. Still ticking and taking a licking and killing deer. Yea, a spring could fail or firing pin break, like anything else. Bolt guns are more accurate on the average. Levers are nicer to carry in woods and have adequate accuracy for woods hunting. I don’t buy arguments that Levers have breakage problems. That doesn’t include the stuff being put out the last 20+ years, it’s all junk compared to the older milled guns.

Baltimoreed
04-20-2020, 10:07 AM
I’ve always liked the idea of using the same ammo for my lever rifle and revolver. My shtf go to. I’ve carried the same thing over to a more modern concept with an AR pcc in .45acp and a 1911 or moon clip loaded 625 revolver. But I’m an old school kind of guy who has a lot more steel [or brass] and walnut in his safe than plastic and aluminum.

dragon813gt
04-20-2020, 12:48 PM
What they were designed for [emoji2]

https://live.staticflickr.com/4379/36458863492_bc5acdc0df_b.jpg

Texas by God
04-20-2020, 03:36 PM
What they were designed for [emoji2]

https://live.staticflickr.com/4379/36458863492_bc5acdc0df_b.jpgThat's where mine gets used. Well, not exactly there- but walking the woods and creek bottoms around the Cross Timbers Region.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

No_1
04-20-2020, 03:54 PM
I like having both pistol and rifle chambered the same and long tube lever loaded with 38 special sure seems to hold a lot of rounds.

Robert

samari46
04-21-2020, 12:50 AM
I think there is a little cowboy inside each of us. Some try to ignore it others embrace it.At one time in up New York State that is what the average hunter used. Frank

444ttd
04-21-2020, 05:25 AM
I think there is a little cowboy inside each of us. Some try to ignore it others embrace it.At one time in up New York State that is what the average hunter used. Frank

in the western half of PA it was either a lever or rem m760 pump back in the early days. when i first started to hunt a win m94 in 30-30 was given to me. my dad and my grandpap had rem m760 in '06. i soon noticed that guys were trading their pumps and lever for a bolt. it was either a '06 or a 270. the 7 mag and the 300 win mag phase was few and far between. then came the weatherby mags but it was a flash in pan. then there a 7mm STW and lazzaroni cartridges, but it was short lived. then there was a wsm and rem ultra mags, they were short lived too. then hornady and nosler "magnums" and God knows what else!!!

in the end, i choose my win m94(1973) that is chambered for the unique 35/30-30 and williams fp sight. i can't find fault with that!!!!

Petrol & Powder
04-21-2020, 07:45 AM
For starters, the lever action is an American thing. The first truly successful repeating rifles were lever actions of American design and American use. So there's some nostalgia there.
Second, I think dragon813gt hit on another key element - East coast hunting is very often in the woods at shorter ranges. While the lever action is often associated with the old west, it lived on because of its usefulness in the east.
There is the flat profile of the rifles, the magazine capacity, the ease they are carried, the simplicity of the operation and other factors but in the end I think their appeal is mostly driven by nostalgia and their short range usefulness.

northmn
04-21-2020, 09:51 AM
What I find interesting as one that likes the lever actions is that Advances have mostly flopped. People like the tubular magazine classic lever action with a 20" barrel. The Savage 99 was a success but it went by the wayside. The Winchester 88 also. Even the Winchester 95, which was a great old rifle. Browning and Henry make a decent lever with box magazines which make a lot more sense than the tubular magazines, but they do not make up the majority of sales. Then look at the Winchester Big Bores and the Marlin line of more powerful cartridges, which also failed. People that buy lever rifles seem to go for either the 30-30 or pistol cartridges. The 45-70 does have a following also. The guide gun by Marlin has a lot going for it as it is a compact powerful package capable of quick repeat shots. I have seen the 30-30 used by more than one woman and younger hunter due to its mild nature. In addition as one that cuts up his own venison, I also like the 30-30.

So looking at the pictures, we see that the lever rifle that seems to last is the tube magazine design from the 1800's. Personally I would prefer the Henry with the box magazine but not enough to buy one at the going price. Another reason is that I am also a lefty and they take no modification nor are a special offering.

260800 This is the way I most commonly pose pictures of my rifles.

DEP

robg
04-22-2020, 04:43 PM
revolvers and leverguns just fit and feel right.if you a lefty like me they beat bolt guns hands down unless you can find a lh one on every gun shop rack.

Kev18
04-22-2020, 10:31 PM
Lever guns are so useful and rugged. Also look awesome. Pretty hard to break, even the beat up ones fire. Some might say they aren't super accurate but they do the job just fine. I really don't need to shoot tits off a fly at 2000 yards.
https://i.imgur.com/O5dOTs4.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/CuSxGWd.jpg

OverMax
04-23-2020, 12:20 AM
Just another's opinion.
In today's market there so many crossover products that don't truly measure up to their intended secondary purpose. In my opinion ARs_AK clones & some High Point products fall into that category.
Sportsman. Some prefer a more traditional weapon for their hunting purpose. Tired of bolt action's that the manufactures continually push upon all. What other L gun reliable receiver is there? ~~ Lever.
As for me. I like the warmness and feel of wood and a sight plane directly over the barrel. Anything other? No thanks a good well used lever gun suits me just fine.

bikerbeans
04-23-2020, 12:42 AM
I like my marlin levers because I can't forget and leave the magazine in the truck. Also, i will take blue metal and stained wood over black metal and plastic any day.

BB

northmn
04-23-2020, 10:09 AM
The lever action is a derivative of early single shots. Technically the Sharps, Ballard and Martini as shown are lever actions. The falling block system was then incorporated into a repeater. Lever actions as we use them today are still very flat and compact systems. I carry mine on a carrier on the 4 wheeler. Bolt actions are bulkier and you have a bolt sticking out more. On horse back the lever actions were more compact. Also like others I just like them.

I remember a comment from the cast bullet guru Frank Marshall concerning accuracy. "Sometime you have to decide whether you need to hit a deer or pick off cockroaches at 100 yards" After a certain group size, shrinking it does nothing to make one more successful.

DEP

clum553946
04-23-2020, 04:29 PM

That’s why I got into Cowboy Action plus the cool factor, not to mention that Cowboy & Cowgirl shooters are some of the nicest people in the world!

Bazoo
04-23-2020, 04:30 PM
One of the things that attract me to leveractions is the cartridges they are chambered for. Pistol caliber cartridges are all cast friendly, but so is the 30-30 and most others chambered in leveractions. Sure you can load anything with cast, but with a 30-30 class cartridges, you can load to full power with cast.

Another thing, that maybe others don't consider is aesthetics. A rimmed cartridge like the 30-30 and the 348 look right to my eye. As does the guns that chamber them. Rimless rounds and bolt guns not so much.

megasupermagnum
04-23-2020, 07:35 PM

The better question is, why are bolt actions still so popular today? Sure they can be made cheap, but they are bulky, ugly, and only marginally faster than a break action single shot. Sure, you can learn to run a bolt action well, but put that same time into a lever, or pump, or just about anything else, and you will be running circles around a bolt. About the only legitimate advantage a bolt still holds is that they are easy to make a one piece stock for, and can be made fantastically accurate.

Reliability? I don't know what bolts you guys have used, but generally I find bolt actions to be about the LEAST reliable guns out there. Especially the dirt cheap ones. Sure a Winchester model 70 is well proven, but there is a whole heap of bolt actions that are not. And bolt action shotguns? They are the worst of the worst.

Rant over.

Jedman
04-23-2020, 08:37 PM
I find most all guns to my liking. I think a pump action is probably better if you think you may need extra shots BUT, did you ever see a cowboy or anyone in a western movie with a pump action rifle ? I like single shots the best overall because there are so many ways to make a gun fire once,
Just fascinating to me how many different actions have been designed for single shots.

Getting back to lever actions, I like them because they look good, shoot good, handle good, and that's what the Rifleman had when I was a kid. There are a lot of lever actions designs also, did I say I find that fascinating?

Some people say guns are just tools, If you asked my grand kids about me they would tell you I have every tool ever invented and there not speaking about my guns.

Jedman

Texas by God
04-24-2020, 11:32 PM
Academy Sports sells a non catalog Marlin 336Y 30-30 with short stock and 16" barrel. Talk about handy! What I'd want to do is to ditch the laminate wood and use walnut and do a straight grip conversion like a Winchester Trapper.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

pietro
04-29-2020, 04:32 AM

I like leverguns because they generally aren't issued with plastic/fantastic parts - especially the stocks...…… :)

rintinglen
05-01-2020, 02:11 PM
My favorite rifle is my Savage 1899 in 303 savage. Thanks to Graf and Sons and Privi Partisan I expect that I will be shooting it for the rest of my life. It balances well, is easily minute of deer off-hand at 100 yards, is reasonably light weight. and it fits me well.

45-70 Chevroner
05-02-2020, 07:36 PM
cuz they are kewl!!!!!!

the first rifle was given to me by my pappy. it is a win m94(1973) in 30-30. i can't remember how many deer i shot with it. the 30-30 is an ok cartridge, but i wanted something more. the '06 in a rem m700 mountain rifle was the first rifle i ever bought. its gone, but i had/have many bolts and single actions galore. this past year, i got the m94 out of the safe and i gave to JES Reboring to make a 35/30-30 out of her. jesse does a GREAT job!!!!!! i load 200gr fn gc with 20.0gr of 2400/dacron and it goes 1726fps. also i bought a williams fp peep sight cuz my eyes don't line up on three things(back sight, front sight and the target) anymore. i killed my doe last season with the 35/30 and i was impressed. the 35/30 is more than i ever need or want. if i could back, i would give it to my gunsmith(RIP) and make the m94 into a 35/30 and then i wouldn't buy anything else.

shooting the m94 in

Hear hear! For all you lever lovers. I have four. I haven't owned a bolt gun for about 20 years now. I sold it two my son, well actually almost gave it to him. I shoot my lever guns more than anything I have. I have given 20 or more of my guns to my kids and grandkids and still have two safes full. Because of health problems for over a year now (thats what getting old will do for you) I haven't been out shooting. But I can still read about it and day dream about it. Love this web sight, and appreaciate all the things written on here.

hpdrifter
05-02-2020, 08:23 PM
To spin a commercial these days;

The question is, why NOT a lever?

fordwannabe
05-08-2020, 12:37 PM
I am left handed and “back when” a levergun was more comfortable than a right handed bolt. It is the first deer rifle my Grandfather handed me. They are historic. It was good enough for John Wayne, Chuck Conners, Clint Walker, and “the boys” from the Big Valley to the Ponderosa. PLUS I like being the old fart at the range with “those old timey rifles.” Most of the guys at the range have never heard of a 38-55, 32-20, 40-82, or 33WCF. I like to show them that these old guns can still make meat, but ya gotta hunt with them not shoot three times at a half mile. The big drawback for me is the iron sights seem to have grown some kinda fuzz on them as THEY get older. Can’t seem to wipe that fuzz off either. When they are up close I don’t see the fuzz but when I shoulder it dang it there it is again 😉 Those are the reasons I do leverguns, and yes I have semi autos and bolt actions but they are tools, my leverguns are art.

Win94ae
05-08-2020, 03:04 PM
I am left handed and “back when” a levergun was more comfortable than a right handed bolt.

I like my lever guns also for the ambidexterity... unfortunately the Marlin's cross-bolt safety almost caused me to miss this years 10 point. Somehow it was on safe, and I had to do a lot of left-handed fumbling to disengage it! That's when your heart starts racing!

I have the fuzzy sight syndrome too. :/

uscra112
05-08-2020, 03:21 PM
Fuzzy sights easily solved by mounting a ghost ring tang sight.

MT Chambers
05-08-2020, 03:55 PM
Bolt actions have been around longer, are generally more reliable and accurate. That being said levers are easier to carry by hand or on a horse in a scabbard. Levers have old west romance appeal.

As to reliability I have have three lever guns go down one me due to broken parts with maybe 10,000 rounds fired. Shot boltguns more and never had one go down one me for a broken part.

Between competition, prairie dog shooting and general shooting I have well over 100,000 rounds thru AR's and I have not had one go down for a broken part. I do replace the three piece gas rings with McFarland One Piece Gas Rings.

Yup, bolt actions predated the '66 and the Henry/Volcanic, I was there!

fordwannabe
05-08-2020, 07:33 PM
Oh and I forgot! put the sense of accomplishment you get from shooting a doe with a leupold scoped, Remington 700 in ‘06, with Walmart bought Core-lokt vs the sense I got this year using my cast bullets, in a Winchester 1886 in 45-70 with a DOM of 1892. Nuther reason I do leverguns.

mickbr
05-15-2020, 09:40 AM
In Australia its difficult to own semi's, but all the other action types are unrestricted. For the large amounts of feral game here without bag limits or seasons, levers have the same benefits they always did. Decently fast repeat firepower, slimline, can be carried all day and drawn quickly from scabbards, on bikes, boats, or behind vehicle seats. They are not the fastest action, but are probably the fastest gun type to get into action. The historic cases with moderate capacity and especially pistol cartridges are not overly blasty on the ears either, even if we can wear hearing protection, the hunting dogs cant.

Drm50
05-15-2020, 11:01 AM
I thinned my collection way down. I sold off all my big game magnum Bolt Actions and most of my BA varmit rifles. I’m down to 42 cf rifles and only 5 are bolt actions. I do have a couple pumps and auto loaders, early milled 8 & 14 series Rems. The rest all Levers or Single Shots, ( got 43 rifles, forgot a 219 Sav Hornet that needs repairs ) Any hunting that I may do will be eastern deer and black bear. My 1895 Winchester 30/06 will take care of anything and if it dont my 1895 Marin 45/70 will. Those are my biggest hitters I have left. Win m70fw 308 is biggest BA.

robg
05-20-2020, 03:04 PM
tried a ghost ring on mine ,front sight was crisp in good light but went fuzzy when not bright .put a scope on mine.<shock horror>but now i can shoot so much better.

Gunslinger1911
05-22-2020, 08:02 PM
John Wayne.

Nuff said

Cosmic_Charlie
05-22-2020, 09:52 PM
tried a ghost ring on mine ,front sight was crisp in good light but went fuzzy when not bright .put a scope on mine.<shock horror>but now i can shoot so much better.

Using an XS Sight Systems mount I equipped my early 70's Glenfield with a Burris Scout Scope. Sits nice and low and leaves the hammer free. Scopes help my shooting as well.

303Guy
05-23-2020, 02:49 AM
I like lever actions but I don't have one and likely never will. But I like them.

A friend had a Rossi 357 magnum. Great little rifle. I loaded up for it and shot some pretty good groups with it. I always looked at it with envy when we went out together. I carried my equally handy mini 14 for which he mocked me for, calling it my mickey mouse 14. It was more accurate with its scope and had more range than his 357 but I still liked his 357.

I wouldn't mind having a Savage 99 in 250 Savage or similar.

Savvy Jack
05-24-2020, 10:42 AM
I like them because "boys" can't seem to hit the back-side of a barn with them!

The Late John Kort 300 meters 44-40 Black Powder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbxvlQUkQfU

"Chip Mate", blackpowder 44-40 wins Arizona State Championship March 2012.

Randy Bohannon
05-24-2020, 12:40 PM
No flies on the venerable 44-40 WCF , better than it was designed for that’s why it’s still around. I remember seeing my first piece of 44-40 WCF brass asked the older gun guy about it, he had nothing good to say about it. He was and has been wrong many times.

Prodigal Son
05-24-2020, 01:04 PM
262643 me and my Westernfield 740 in 405 Jess 300 gr cast boolit opening morning! Love lever guns!

centershot
05-24-2020, 01:41 PM
I like them because "boys" can't seem to hit the back-side of a barn with them!

The Late John Kort 300 meters 44-40 Black Powder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbxvlQUkQfU

"Chip Mate", blackpowder 44-40 wins Arizona State Championship March 2012.

Savvy Jack, John Kort died? I am so sorry to here that! I shot with him at McKean County Rifle Club and at his Lever Action Jubilee at Ridgeway Rifle Club in years past. He was a very knowledgeable gentleman, he will be missed!

1hole
05-26-2020, 04:23 PM
Hunting rifles for men means a lever gun in a Marlin 336/.35 Rem or Winchester 94/.30-30 Win. with peep and square post irons or a compact 1.5-4x scope for aiming. Any hunter thinking he needs greater range or magnification should get closer.

hpdrifter
05-26-2020, 04:55 PM
To me, a lever gun is a blend of art and mechanics. Mechanical art! Form AND function. A truly enjoyable device. Sometimes, I just like to work that action.

Very few bolts have had that blend to me. A few have. I recall the first MarkX I handled(I think) back in the 70's??, sort of captured form/function meld and a Mossberg 308. Forget the model of the Mossberg, but it had a T shaped safety on the tang and was rather short and handy. Both of them had fixed sights. To me, a bolt or any rifle has to have fixed sights to "look" complete to me. Just old fashioned I suppose.

sharps4590
05-26-2020, 08:10 PM
Why lever rifles? Boy, I bet several books could be written on that topic.

Back in the late 70's I was all about lever rifles and Hawken rifles. I went through the new '94 Marlins in 357 Mag and 44 Mag. with revolvers to match. Then came a '95 for a while. I'd had a '94 in 30-30 in the early 70's. None of them were "right". THEN...I discovered '92's and 86's, the real ones. They were right. So was the old '73 in 38-40 but it didn't live with me very long. I still lust for an old Marlin in 38-55 or some other cartridge in that class but, interest has waned a bit in levers. But, none of the above addresses "why".

They're cool, that has been well established. They carry easy, they're handy, I've never owned one thsat wasn't "accurate enough" and some really accurate, given the way the plastic, stainless steel and sewer pipe sized scope crowd talks about them. History has been mentioned and for me that is probably the biggest "why." I like old things...historical things....and old cartridges that still work regardless of what the previously mentioned crowd tries to sell everyone. They're interesting...to me...and as one poster mentioned, few today have heard of a 40-82...which is what my '86 is chambered for...and I killed my first hog with...a long time ago. I'll take the 32-20 over the 38 Spl. any day, every day, revolver or rifle. Is it better? I don't know, but it puts a lot bigger smile on my face than the 38 Spl.

Having said all that, I wouldn't think of getting rid of my Mannlicher/Schoenauer's, pre WWI and WWII Mausers, drillings, double rifles, single shots or combination guns...but I didn't get rid of my '86, '92 or '73 clone either. Matter of fact, over the last two weeks I worked up a surprisingly very accurate BP load for my '73 Clone in 44-40, (no 45 Colt in a lever for me. It lives in it's proper home of a Colt SAA). If I had anything on the AR platform....I'd sell or trade it. I wasn't impressed in basic training in 1972 and my opinion hasn't changed.

Why lever rifles? It isn't that they "still work", it's that they never stopped working.

rking22
05-26-2020, 08:51 PM
Well, for me it is the light and handy with enough power and accuracy. Winchester 94 and 92 fit me and to be honest I could get by just fine with my BB94 375. But, big but, I like pump guns and single shots just as well, maybe better depending on the use. I like the mechanical interactions to feed from the magazine and the straight forward hammer trigger mechanism. I have no more interest in the new levers with the extra safety than I have in the current infatuation with plastic bolt and autoloaders. I like old working guns, practical usefulness but designed and built with care.

FergusonTO35
05-27-2020, 03:25 PM
Alot of the appeal for me is the cartridges. Most lever actions are chambered in cartridges that are easy to shoot and cast boolit friendly. Especially, the .30 WCF my favorite of all. Bolt actions and autos, not so much.

Four-Sixty
05-27-2020, 06:51 PM
I'm very fond of Marlin's tried and true 336 in 30-30. When it comes to my shoulder the sights are just "right where they're supposed to be - ready for action".

Racking the lever rapidly is satisfying on its own. I can chamber a round without taking my eyes off the sight's picture. You can also top it off when you want which is cool on its own.

popper
05-28-2020, 01:22 PM
Why levergun and specifically why 30/30 leverguns have lasted so long. Look at automotive advancements, or any successful product. Cost, performance, reliability, use, appearance. Consumer evaluates those and makes a purchase. 3006 bolt action, mostly availability/cost. 30/30 does about all needed by most, Evol ammo increase performance. 308W actually does most of 06 with less cost. Amused in a big Houston LGS years ago. Racks of new leverguns (45/70) and racks of same used. Few 30/30, in Texas! Why? probably few 45/70 sales!
Same analysis for AR15s. They work, do the job and are somewhat cheap. 32/20 levergun (very popular in olden days) probably being replaced by AAC BO (or variant) for small case rifle case.

Drm50
05-28-2020, 03:48 PM
I don’t want anything new that I can think of. I can’t think of one American company that is not putting out mostly second rate junk. The days of milled guns are over. I’m no more interested in a synthetic stocked BA than a new Marlin lever. It won’t be long before you will see these bubble packed and hanging in Walmart. New stuff has the character of a joint of Chinese pipe.

rking22
05-28-2020, 04:27 PM
Was running channels yesterday before work, raining so lazy. Anyway they had the new marlin 45-70 with the black plastic and pickinny (or whatever) stuff. Just can’t see it, if that’s what you want just buy an AR. Talk about a pig with purple lipstick, well maybe it has good bones but the exterior designer was high on something. Obviously not targeted to my tastes. At least they aren’t wasting good walnut, I guess.

hpdrifter
05-28-2020, 05:04 PM
Was running channels yesterday before work, raining so lazy. Anyway they had the new marlin 45-70 with the black plastic and pickinny (or whatever) stuff. Just can’t see it, if that’s what you want just buy an AR. Talk about a pig with purple lipstick, well maybe it has good bones but the exterior designer was high on something. Obviously not targeted to my tastes. At least they aren’t wasting good walnut, I guess.

I am about resigned to the fact that I'm gonna HAVE TO go with Henry's edition of it. They won't come out with a loading gate 45 Colt in normal dress, so this might be my alternative. Gonna wait em out a couple more months tho. I don't care for Marlins 38 twist. It'd probably work for me, but..........................

Yrmff!!
05-28-2020, 05:51 PM
Well... It is a feeeling called LOVE!
Just look at her, my "plumpy Jane!!"
Hard hitting! (or mouse fart if i want to)
Easy to reload! (when i got the grip of it)
Cast frendly!
A little oddball! (just like mee ;) ) here in Sweden
Due to swedish weaponlaws a shtf alternative
And....
And....
It puts a big grin on my face!!! :lol:

I also have a win94 .30-30 WCF
and before i have had.
.44 marlin 1894
.303 Savage 99b
.243 Blr
So i seem to have a need for leverguns.
I still would have had theese rifles if the swedish gunlaws had been more moderate but they are hard on weaponowners, and we are restricted to six rifles for hunting... :(

I also have

Swedish mauser M38 6,5x55
Husqvarna Nr25 32-20wcf
A Swedish Rolling Block 8x58RD
Remington 870 12 Gauge.

I Cast, load and hunt with all of them

Best regards Heikki

(sorry for the bad spelling! but im´a Swede! :) )

caffe
05-28-2020, 05:59 PM
The autoloaders are cheaper to make than bolts, or levers. People in states that have laws vs autoloaders should move, out of those states and stop funding our enemies with their tax monies.

megasupermagnum
05-29-2020, 10:14 PM
The autoloaders are cheaper to make than bolts, or levers. People in states that have laws vs autoloaders should move, out of those states and stop funding our enemies with their tax monies.

You can walk out the door with a Savage Axis for $200. What semi auto out there sells for under $200?

303Guy
05-30-2020, 04:07 AM
Welcome aboard, Yrmff!!

The 30/30 Winchester is a very efficient cartridge and seems to be perfect for cast boolits. It takes a near full case of several slower powders and burns them at rather low pressures, ideal for cast. Ideal for lever actions.

Bazoo
05-30-2020, 04:16 AM
Yrmff. Welcome to the forum. Thanks for sharing.

Yrmff!!
05-30-2020, 07:49 AM
My first .30-30 was a 1976 years production It shoot well from 113grain up to 200grain cast and jacketed! but was terrible in the action and never got smooth whatever i tryed to do, so i traded it of to by my .444 Marlin in 2012 i believe.
Then a couple of years ago i ran into an early 94AE that is wery well made and that i scooped because of my seeing isn´t what it used to bee!
That one i load and shoot a lot with and always with a smile on my face! ::
Thanx for the welcome! 303Guy and Bazoo :)
I have been reading on the forum for many years and learned a lot fron u guys! but never posted before!
Y

tmanbuckhunter
05-30-2020, 11:32 AM
I guess because they're just flat out fun and take me back to another time and place. New guns and bolt action sporting rifles don't interest me at all. Don't get me wrong, I have a few, including an AR, and I like them, but they're like appliances. I don't need 6 microwaves, just one good one. Leverguns, and vintage rifles are like cups. A man needs many different cups for many different purposes.

FergusonTO35
06-21-2020, 10:58 AM
I know it's a Remlin, but I would buy one of these right now if I had the cash or a spare organ or two:

snowwolfe
06-21-2020, 12:44 PM
There is a little cowboy in all of us. Many of us grew up watching the cowboys and Indians fight it out. The progression went from BB guns to rimfire and centerfires.