PDA

View Full Version : "Talking" to God

dverna
04-19-2020, 12:44 PM
With what is happening I find myself "talking to God" more. It got me to wondering what that really means.

I do not believe God guides every aspect of our lives or intercedes in our lives very much. He has given us instincts, bestowed on all animals, and choice; but more importantly a soul. When I look at the phrase "Created in His image", my thoughts are that the soul is our gateway to His image.

He gave us a bit of His power within our soul, and it is up to us to tap into it. That power combines intellect, rationale thought, choice, love for others, sacrifice, goodness, and a search for knowledge. We can never attain the level of God in any of these attributes, but He expects us to try. The Bible is our guide to reaching His expectations.

When I "talk to God" I do not sense I am talking to Him directly, but rather through the window of my soul. There is no feeling of divine revelation or inspiration. My thoughts are shaped by my experiences, discussion with others, and what the Bible shows me to be relevant. My window is small and I am unable to see the whole picture. My mind is too small to comprehend it all...God knows that and gives me as much He thinks I can handle.

God puts a soul into all His children. I see it as His window from us to Him. Some are afraid to open the curtain to the window. Some look, and walk away because they want a bigger window...they want to understand more than their pay grade. For me, there is a bit of fog on the window. Others can see through it clearly.

dtknowles
04-19-2020, 02:20 PM
Humans changed to be more "Created in His image," anthropologists call those Humans Homo Sapiens Sapiens vs. Homo Sapiens. The change was mostly cultural/social, at that point Humans became more Man than Animal. We started to recognize the larger world and think about things like God and why the lights in the sky moved. It was the next step beyond tool making. Animals can make tools and smarter animals make better tools but if any of the other animals think about God we don't know. Could be Whales think about God. Who can say.

I hope the fog on your window clears. For some it comes with an Epiphany others the fogs gradually lessens.

Tim

Blackwater
04-21-2020, 04:41 PM
Don, you're one who searches for the REAL and in depth answers to your questions, and I applaud you for that. You have a long life ahead of you, hopefully, of questions that will lead you to a higher understanding of scripture and of Christ. The more you know about what he said means, the more you know about Him, and that's always a good thing. When it comes to the perplexing nature of some questions that arise, within your own self or outside by others, please don't be stymied by this. It's what every true seeker goes through in his quest to understand anything bigger than himself. Think of the scientists who have discovered so many principles of modern physics. All physicists do, other than teaching others what they know, is sit around and think very deep thoughts. Not all avenues produce results. But when they discover a really good and valid answer, the whole world is sometimes shaken. Reading and considering theology is not unlike that which the physicists go through - a lot of searching and thinking and calculating, and a little real and tremendously welcome satisfaction. And while we're studying, it keeps us out of trouble that we can easily fall into if we're not really, really careful.

When it comes to talking to God, which I do regularly, and have for many years, as I have aged and come to understand more, my manner of speaking with Him has changed. I've always been pretty casual whenever I spoke with Him, and always, always, always respectful. Nowadays, because I now realize just how many wondrous blessings He has bestowed on me, I am very thankful, mostly. I still ask for additional blessings, especially when it comes to my or anyone else's health, but I'm a lot more humble than I truly was in my earlier life. And my voice, I believe, goes directly to him, without any intervenig "filters" of any kind.

Since you're a recent convert, pleas do not be angry with me if I suggest that maybe you're not yet fully and completely within His grasp. You're working your way there, and for Heaven's sake, don't give up the efforts to know Him more closely. You'll get there. It's as though we have to EARN it by continued and unrelentingly seeking these answers. I've had some questions that have taken me most all of my life to find the answers to, such as why and when the Lord "punishes" us. The answer I've found is that He simply DOESN'T punish us. Any ill effects we suffer are merely the inevitable result of sin in our lives, and of giving in to our own wills rather than adhering to His. God is Love. He does not punish. He merely allows the natural results of sin to come to us when we fail to follow Him and His directions and advice sufficiently. And that's really all there is to it. I was looking for a much more complex and outlineable answer. But the answer I got was exceedingly simple, and really, it fits the Lord much moreso than what I was sort of expecting.

The Bible promises "seek and ye shall find," but it doesn't say we'll find it easily or quickly all the time. And it also doesn't say that if we go seeking a specific answer, that we won't find just that answer, or at least convince ourselves that the answer we wanted fits. But when we go looking for specific answers, or answers on our own terms, we often don't find much, UNTIL we change our perspective and "angle of attack" on the question. Sometimes, when we find the right angle of approach, the answers reveal themselves, and we are left wondering how in the world we ever failed to see it.

I am so proud of you, and the questions you ask. Keep it up. You're doing exceedingly well, but you'll get much better with some time and experience and a few revelations. I believe you'll wind up one of our most devout disciples of the Lord.

GhostHawk
04-22-2020, 08:12 AM
I have come to the conclusion that it is "mostly" the Holy Spirit that I communicate with. But as part of the Trinity, it knows what they know.

If all is well it is incredibly easy. Close my eyes, praise the lord, ask a question and get an answer.

If I am off the path, not listening well, being stubborn, chances are I hear nothing. It would be a mistake to think that means everything is ok.

Devrna Like Blackwater I am incredibly proud of the progress you have shown this last year.

Lord I humbly ask that you help Dverna cleanse his heart, send him the Holy Spirit. Him help get in contact with it. Let it guide him through the coming days. May it be a joy to him, and a source of that peace which surpasseth all understanding, peace like a river flowing down over him. Help him as much as you can Lord. As always, not my will, but THINE be done, on earth as it is in heaven. In Jesus's name I ask this for my brother. That he might be a shining light for many others. Amen

ioon44
04-22-2020, 11:39 AM
Once a man was asked, 'What did you gain by regularly praying to God?'

The man replied, 'Nothing... but let me tell you what I lost: Anger,

ego, greed, depression, insecurity, and fear of death.'

Sometimes, the answer to our prayers is not gaining but losing;

which ultimately is the gain.

gon2shoot
04-22-2020, 04:03 PM
A wise man once told me "ya gotta stay on speakin terms with the Lord". I believe he was right.