PDA

View Full Version : Burned out RCBS Tumbler Motor

Shiloh
04-19-2020, 10:12 AM
have an old RCBS tumbler. Had it for 30 years, and it has served me well. it is 2nd hand to me.
In that time, I have replaced the motor 3 times. All motors came from RCBS.
RCBS is the gold standard of customer service. RCBS however, no longer has motors for it.
Bathroom fan motors look similar, but the mounting is different. The mounting on this is 1 .75 " apart, by 1".
Any help will be appreciated. Can anyone recommend a motor and/or a resource??
I'll keep looking for a motor. The RCBS motors were free of I sent the tumbler in. I told them I was happy to pay just to have it.
Settled for reduced shipping charges.

Thanks in advance.

Shiloh

CastingFool
04-19-2020, 10:16 AM
Do a search for a replacement motor, using the model number shown on your old motor. My daughter had a bathroom exhaust fan that the motor died and the exact replacement was no longer available. I found an universal replacement motor that worked just fine, and price was reasonable.

AZ Pete
04-19-2020, 10:43 AM
is there a reason that you cannot drill new mount holes to accommodate the fan motor?

lightman
04-19-2020, 10:45 AM
The motor should have a name plate on it that gives the motor size, electrical information and maybe frame size/class. Look at the id plate and google that info.

Granger has a large selection of motors and I have often found what I was looking for there.

Shiloh
04-19-2020, 12:14 PM
is there a reason that you cannot drill new mount holes to accommodate the fan motor?

I don't know!!

Seams reasonable to me. would it affect the field or something??? I would have a fellow shooter in the maintenance shop do it for me.
Looking at a $20 motor. They go several years or more. This will be the fourth motor I replace.

Shiloh

Shiloh
04-19-2020, 12:15 PM
Do a search for a replacement motor, using the model number shown on your old motor. My daughter had a bathroom exhaust fan that the motor died and the exact replacement was no longer available. I found an universal replacement motor that worked just fine, and price was reasonable.

That particular motor doesn't exist. The number comes up, just no longer a motor with it.

Shiloh

Kenstone
04-19-2020, 12:38 PM
You might find something similar here:
Is there a fan blade on the motor shaft, or just a weight?
After 30+ years it might be time to update to wet tumbling :!:
;-)
Edit: I MacGyvered a box fan motor onto a Lyman tumbler, it ran great with the added horsepower.

Calamity Jake
04-19-2020, 03:15 PM
Grangers is a good place to find replacement electric motors like your needing, might give them a shot, they should have something
that will work.

country gent
04-19-2020, 03:21 PM
Graingers is very good and if you cant find for sure on line what you want/need call them they have knowledgeable people waiting to help find the correct one for you.

abunaitoo
04-19-2020, 07:22 PM
I had the motor die on a old midway tumbler.
It's lifetime warranty.
I emailed them about it, and was told to mail it back for replacement.
With the threaded rod sticking up, it wouldn't fit into the flat rate box.
Asked them if I could cut off the rod.
The said NO.
No warranty if it's cut off.
Asked if they were going to rebuild it.
They said NO, we'll send you a new one.
Back then it was before they had Frankford Arsenal.
Don't remember the name of the company, but their gone now.
Shipping back to them was more than a new one from them.
I still have it.
Hoping to find a motor, that I salvaged, that would work.
Nothing yet.
Either to big or to small.

wv109323
04-20-2020, 01:42 AM
I had the motor on a Thumblers Tumbler vibrating tumbler go out. It was propriorty to Thumblers Tumbler. I had to get the replacement from them. There are several companies that make small motors so there may be a cross reference.
The big problem with the these motors is they use bushings on the armature. The motor is mounted vertical and the bushings can not stand thrust and wear until the armature hits the fields. Some motors have bearings and will last longer. You may want to consider bearings if you can cross reference.

NyFirefighter357
04-20-2020, 07:17 AM
Grainger should have a motor to replace it. You may have to have the motor in hand to figure out the frame size. You also need to figure out the RPM's & shaft size/type. We match motors all the time at work, sometimes the shafts are longer and just need to be cut to size. Which with a little more research should be able to be found. What model is the tumbler? As long as the RPM are similar you'll be OK. This seems like it's a common motor. You might even try a good electrical supply company locally.

https://www.ecmweb.com/content/article/20893402/the-key-to-figuring-the-right-frame-size

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/nema-electrical-motor-frame-dimensions-d_1504.html

Uncle Grinch
04-20-2020, 07:30 AM
I had the motor die on a old midway tumbler.
It's lifetime warranty.
I emailed them about it, and was told to mail it back for replacement.
With the threaded rod sticking up, it wouldn't fit into the flat rate box.
Asked them if I could cut off the rod.
The said NO.
No warranty if it's cut off.
Asked if they were going to rebuild it.
They said NO, we'll send you a new one.
Back then it was before they had Frankford Arsenal.
Don't remember the name of the company, but their gone now.
Shipping back to them was more than a new one from them.
I still have it.
Hoping to find a motor, that I salvaged, that would work.
Nothing yet.
Either to big or to small.

Midway replaced mine also. I didn’t ship the old one back and have been looking for a replacement motor or it too.

remy3424
04-20-2020, 07:46 AM
My FA tumbler had quite a few miles on it when it quit working. A friend had told me once that his motor on his woodburner blower was going out and he put a drop of oil on the main shaft and it keeps going. I gave him heck about oiling an electric motor! Well, I thought it can't do any harm to the tumble motor now, so I opened it up, put a drop on the shaft, spun the shaft, plugged it in and it has been running like new ever since...maybe 20-30 hours on it since then. I have a timer on it and only run 2 hour cycles, no overnights. I am assuming, this is not recommended, but it might help you.

Shiloh
04-20-2020, 07:48 AM
Grainger should have a motor to replace it. You may have to have the motor in hand to figure out the frame size. You also need to figure out the RPM's & shaft size/type. We match motors all the time at work, sometimes the shafts are longer and just need to be cut to size. Which with a little more research should be able to be found. What model is the tumbler? As long as the RPM are similar you'll be OK. This seems like it's a common motor. You might even try a good electrical supply company locally.

https://www.ecmweb.com/content/article/20893402/the-key-to-figuring-the-right-frame-size

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/nema-electrical-motor-frame-dimensions-d_1504.html

The current burned out motor has four anchor points. Not sure if only two as pictured would anchor solidly.
What happens if I drill through the frame?? It's just metal plates right??

Shiloh

Land Owner
04-20-2020, 08:44 AM
Perhaps MacGyver a 2nd thin but stiff plate, with the same screw hole configuration as the original, in which you tap new holes for the larger footprint? Nut & bolt maybe? If screw through into plastic tumbler body, then one or more of the original holes might be made to stay the same? Can't tell without looking...

Convenient and "clean" way to hold pliers in your picture #1.

Baltimoreed
04-20-2020, 08:56 AM
I would look for a similar motor and drill some new holes into the plate the motor mounts to. There are probably reenforcement/spacer bosses moulded into the plastic so go between them and use stacks of washers for spacers. Just a thought. Did that on my old Midway unit years ago and got some more life out of it until I found a used orange machine that’s hanging in there. Got a new one in the box under my bench just in case.

1hole
04-20-2020, 04:30 PM
By all means, put an occasional few drops of oil in the bronze bushings of all small electric motors! Maybe once a year or so.

Oil is a liquid and liquids evaporate. When oil evaporates it turns into a varnish-like goo. That goo eventually stops small electric motor shafts and causes them to burn out. A fine gun or sewing machine oil works okay for small motors but any Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) is really great ... and it's cheep too!

I often use WD-40 as a spray cleaner on motor bearings to wash away the previous oil goo before adding a few drops of clean ATF.

NOTE: Not ever, no way should anyone use WD-40 as a lube for moving parts for more than a few weeks! It works fine at first but it's one of the worst "oils" to dry quickly and goo moving things up.

remy3424
04-20-2020, 04:35 PM
I had avoided oil and electric motors....until that moment. So no surprise that it helped!

Shiloh
04-20-2020, 04:56 PM
I would look for a similar motor and drill some new holes into the plate the motor mounts to. There are probably reenforcement/spacer bosses moulded into the plastic so go between them and use stacks of washers for spacers. Just a thought. Did that on my old Midway unit years ago and got some more life out of it until I found a used orange machine that’s hanging in there. Got a new one in the box under my bench just in case.

I can take the bosses off the old motor. If I drill through the plates/frame, does that mess with the field or anything?? I can't hardly thing so but I'm not savvy on this type of thing. Some of the motores have extra holed drilled for extra anchors.

SHiloh

1hole
04-20-2020, 06:38 PM
1. Again, you need not be concerned about any "fields."

2. A tumbler only "needs" two motor mounting bolts, the ones nearest the motor shaft. Anything more is gravy.

country gent
04-20-2020, 07:46 PM
What you do need to watch is the change in weight added or subtracted when modifying it. We had a lot of vibratory feeders at work for small parts repairing one and adding weight or lightening would stop them from feeding and move them out of the adjustment range. You vibratory polisher needs the right harmonics to polish efficiently.

Shiloh
04-21-2020, 04:52 PM
Most of the motors are in the .35 to .65 amp rating. Can you tell from the picture of the motor at the beginning of the thread, what amperage it is and does it make a difference??
Is higher ampweage better, worse, no difference??
I'm to the point of getting s motor, getting it running again.

I have a backup Lyman 600.

Shiloh

1hole
04-22-2020, 11:31 AM
Most of the motors are in the .35 to .65 amp rating. ... Is higher ampweage better, worse, no difference

More amps mean more horse power; more hp is always better. BUT, vib tumblers put very little loading on their motors so hp hardly makes a difference; use what you can find. And then remember to oil the bearings from time to time ... like annually, IF you use a good oil like ATF.

trebor44
04-22-2020, 01:49 PM
Computer fan motor, just need the right out put etc. Do a google for the motor and the rating as suggested. I would drill new holes for mounting to the tumbler base BUT not into the motor!

shaune509
04-22-2020, 09:02 PM
My take. 1] use real oil not a CLP like WD-40, blow out all dirt/lint when you oil.
2] the main mount point is the bearing frames ie 2 bolts. a 3rd or 4th is just extra anti fatigue.mod the mount not the motor if needed.
3] do not dril; the stack, it is welded only on the outer edges, drilling can spread the plates and that will affect running temp.
4] ball bearings with end thrust washers give better life.
5] do not get a motor with a smaller stack thickness as it will have less power.
6] always use a motor with a cooling fan.
7] the counter weight does the work but also is what kills the motor.
Shaune509

Shiloh
04-23-2020, 04:25 PM
My take. 1] use real oil not a CLP like WD-40, blow out all dirt/lint when you oil.
2] the main mount point is the bearing frames ie 2 bolts. a 3rd or 4th is just extra anti fatigue.mod the mount not the motor if needed.
3] do not dril; the stack, it is welded only on the outer edges, drilling can spread the plates and that will affect running temp.
4] ball bearings with end thrust washers give better life.
5] do not get a motor with a smaller stack thickness as it will have less power.
6] always use a motor with a cooling fan.
7] the counter weight does the work but also is what kills the motor.
Shaune509

THANKS!!

Shiloh