PDA

View Full Version : 3D Printing - What do you want to make / have made?

Mr_Sheesh
04-19-2020, 06:49 AM
I have a few ideas here (organizational i.e. holders for trimmer pilots, tool holders, etc. so far)

Thought I'd see what ideas other folks had come up with though.

I have 2 cats, love them, but when kitty gets bored and fishes out all 12 $6 trimmer pilots I have, ACK!!

Cheaper to print something than find a zippered container...

Rcmaveric
04-19-2020, 11:22 AM
Still working on bullet collator. Have the files for a case feeder.

I have mostly made organizational things for my aquaponics and upgrades for my printer.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Earlwb
04-19-2020, 12:03 PM
Well I think being able to make a lot of things for when you need something would be pretty neat. I remember thinking about that when I needed a set of offset front and rear sights for a AR carbine. Beats having to look online and order a set and then hope the mail system or delivery system actually delivers it. Taller or shorter scope mounts would be nice to make too. For when you try a set of scope mounts and the mounts are too short or too long for your purpose. 3D printing a ladder tang sight or rear sight for a vintage gun would be cool. Maybe 3d printing a scope mount rail would be good.

Basically, when you are looking to do something for your gun and you decide you need to buy something that you don't already have on hand for it, would be a good candidate for 3D printing.

metricmonkeywrench
04-19-2020, 12:26 PM
How about a front cover for a 10-10 scale?

Mr_Sheesh
04-19-2020, 08:14 PM
The other neat tool I own, but have no place to put (so it's at a friends') is an old laser cutter / engraver. You can cut plexiglass or SAR plastic into shapes easily to make containers, dust covers, etc.; I need to get using that :)

RU shooter
04-20-2020, 06:32 AM
Seems there a good many black rifle parts that are and could be made

Mr_Sheesh
04-20-2020, 07:08 AM
Very true.

remy3424
04-20-2020, 07:23 AM
I was hoping to see someone printed a single shot follower for a Savage Model 25 in 17 Hornet...they are terrible feeding from the detactable magazine. Please print 2 if you print one!

Racefiets
04-20-2020, 07:30 AM
Wanted to make a bullet collator but i was to late to download the files.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-20-2020, 12:40 PM
I believe I have only bought one item that was 3-d printed, that was a Magazine speed loader for 45acp Ruger American. It arrived and was a bit small, so I heated it up, and 'stretched' it over a factory Mag.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?350490-Tacshots-Universal-Large-Mag-loader-3-d-printer-plastic&highlight=

Scrounge
04-20-2020, 12:48 PM
I've made some change gears for an HF 7x10 mini-lathe, but haven't actually tested them. They do mesh with the original gears, but my shop needs a lot more organization to make an actual test possible. I've also failed miserably at learning how to use SolidWorks to design stuff to be 3D printed, so far. Just retired recently, working on the shop organization now (when I'm not hanging out on CB or some of my metalworking fora) and hope to be able to print similar gears for my Atlas TH42. However, "Hope is not a strategy." I need to get back to work.

Bulldogger
04-20-2020, 12:54 PM
I've made some change gears for an HF 7x10 mini-lathe, but haven't actually tested them. They do mesh with the original gears, but my shop needs a lot more organization to make an actual test possible. I've also failed miserably at learning how to use SolidWorks to design stuff to be 3D printed, so far. Just retired recently, working on the shop organization now (when I'm not hanging out on CB or some of my metalworking fora) and hope to be able to print similar gears for my Atlas TH42. However, "Hope is not a strategy." I need to get back to work.

With what original Atlas gears cost on theBay, if you got a file together that printed the gears well you could have a nice little side business among that fan base.

BDGR

MrHarmless
04-20-2020, 01:04 PM
Solidworks is a pretty decent program to learn on. Youtube has a fair number of tutorials. A lot of them will be for older versions, but with a little "translation" work between the corresponding versions it's not bad. I wanna say I've read their customer support is decent/

If you're interested in coding based design, OpenScad is incredibly powerful, but tough to learn.

My college used NX, which I'm now comfortable using, but it's got the depth and breadth of an ocean (like they design nuclear subs with it), and it's not as user friendly as Solidworks.

MrWolf
04-20-2020, 08:31 PM
Would the plastic be strong enough to print the housing for magazines? Curious about the strength on the common filaments.

ACC
04-20-2020, 11:31 PM
I believe I have only bought one item that was 3-d printed, that was a Magazine speed loader for 45acp Ruger American. It arrived and was a bit small, so I heated it up, and 'stretched' it over a factory Mag.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?350490-Tacshots-Universal-Large-Mag-loader-3-d-printer-plastic&highlight=

yea, I got a couple of those for my Model 59 and my SD 40VE.

ACC

MrHarmless
04-21-2020, 12:52 AM
Would the plastic be strong enough to print the housing for magazines? Curious about the strength on the common filaments.

A lot of people have experimented with this, as well as printing receivers of various firearms with filaments ranging from PLA (Standard), to ABS (Also standard, but stronger), up to nylon (Less standard and pretty strong, but stringy when printing).

Unfortunately because of the laminate nature of FDM 3D printing, there hasn't been much success. If printed vertically, the layers aren't very strong and warp pretty easily, and if printed horizontally, there are a plethora of dimensional and overhand issues to overcome. You end up having to design them almost unusably bulky.

If you look at early plastic lower receiver designs for the AR-15, what you'll see is that early on, with injection molded plastic, there wasn't a whole lot of success because the lower receiver was designed with aluminum in mind to handle the stresses, and they wore out pretty quick. This is especially true with 3D printed lowers. Newer designs have the same control layout as your bog standard AR-15, but are designed to handle those stresses with plastic, so they end up being bulked up in various places, and having metal bushings/inserts for the wear areas like the FCG pins.

A few guys on reddit have made some glock mags for ghost firearms they've designed and released to the public, but their longevity from wear is less than 500 rounds if I recall correctly. Which I guess isn't bad for a disposable part like the body of a magazine.

Long story short, you can, but you can't make them 1:1 to a metal or injection molded mag because the strength isn't there.

Omega
04-21-2020, 01:09 AM
There are tons of things on this site, for reloading, plus a bunch of just nice to have items. I need to get me a printer, I'd like to make some Lee turret storage units, to start with.
https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=Reloading&type=things&sort=relevant

Mr_Sheesh
04-21-2020, 07:02 AM
remy3424 if you had accurate dimensions someone good with CAD could probably design up a part in a few hours...

Designing a mag holder dealie to carry, hold extra mags in a way that makes them more conveniently set up.

MrWolf
04-21-2020, 08:12 AM
Thanks. I have a Charles Daly 410 magazine for an Ar15 upper. Feels like it is a hard plastic and wasn't sure how advanced printing has gotten.

Bulldogger
04-21-2020, 11:22 AM

I'll second MrHarmless' answers as "not common filaments, no", but I'll add that someone with an upgraded printer that can handle reinforced filament might enjoy better success. If I get my hands on a better printer later this year (as planned) I will experiment with reinforced filaments that might stand up better. It's ballpark $10,000-8,000 for one of these printers, so it's not a trivial expense. However, I'd want to put it to work, to help pay for its care and feeding, so I'll consider making things to sell.
Bulldogger

BigEyeBob
04-22-2020, 06:45 AM
Dead primer catcher for a Bair C frame press is what Im wanting.

Scrounge
04-22-2020, 06:51 AM
With what original Atlas gears cost on theBay, if you got a file together that printed the gears well you could have a nice little side business among that fan base.

BDGR

Thingiverse has the files. You need a printer that will print at least 9" across. Mine will do up to 12", but it's going to take a couple of days to print. And I want to use ABS, which means it needs an enclosure. And I really want to be able to design stuff myself, instead of just using other people's designs. It's going to take some time to get where I want to be.

Scrounge
04-22-2020, 07:00 AM
Solidworks is a pretty decent program to learn on. Youtube has a fair number of tutorials. A lot of them will be for older versions, but with a little "translation" work between the corresponding versions it's not bad. I wanna say I've read their customer support is decent/

If you're interested in coding based design, OpenScad is incredibly powerful, but tough to learn.

My college used NX, which I'm now comfortable using, but it's got the depth and breadth of an ocean (like they design nuclear subs with it), and it's not as user friendly as Solidworks.

I've never been a capable programmer. I've been able to hack some BASIC and Pascal programs, back in the day, to do what I wanted if they were close, but never managed to successfully write a complete and complex program. My brain doesn't work well that way. I have a copy of OpenSCAD, but haven't managed to use it for anything but getting frustrated. Solidworks has a program for veterans where a 1-year license for the educational version is $20. I've sprung for it twice, but not spent enough time to actually learn anything on it so far. Partially, that's because I'm also learning to be a machinist. Took a class in high school something like 46 years ago, and wasn't bright enough to take another class until SWMBO said I should late in 2014. Started full-time in February 2015, and after a couple of months switched to part time, and been doing it since then. Also have a bunch of health issues in my family, and was working full time. I'm now retired, and working on dealing with some of the other challenges to spending time on the things I want to do.

dragon813gt
04-22-2020, 09:25 AM
I need to make an adapter for a round Lee primer tray to fill Dillon tubes. Those trays orient very primer correctly and I have a bunch of extras. Plus I hate filing primer tubes.

cameron.meeks
04-28-2020, 02:12 AM
If there is a print media that would burn out clean you can print a reciever and sand cast it still would need a lot of clean up nut you shoulf be able to cut way down on machine time

Sent from my HP Chromebook x360 11 G1 EE using Tapatalk

Bulldogger
04-28-2020, 07:47 AM
Thingiverse has the files. You need a printer that will print at least 9" across. Mine will do up to 12", but it's going to take a couple of days to print. And I want to use ABS, which means it needs an enclosure. And I really want to be able to design stuff myself, instead of just using other people's designs. It's going to take some time to get where I want to be.

My printer dies last week, but I've ordered a new one that can print 12" square. I'll fab an enclosure on receipt so I can resume printing ABS, Nylon and PETG carbon fiber.

We'll get there!

BDGR

sparky45
04-28-2020, 10:02 AM
Anybody like to make one of these for me? Let me know how much. Not directly tied to reloading/ but it aids in milling my bullet molds (removing the GC ring).
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2350108

dbosman
04-28-2020, 07:58 PM
Wanted to make a bullet collator but i was to late to download the files.

In the US, I just did a search for "Open Source Bullet Feeder" and found all hits one could ask for.

dbosman
04-28-2020, 08:09 PM
Anybody like to make one of these for me? Let me know how much. Not directly tied to reloading/ but it aids in milling my bullet molds (removing the GC ring).

I'm still an amateur with Cura, so I've written my son to see if he can setup the g-code file with the 80% infill. Don't hold your breath, he's still in the early stage of his first girl friend, relationship. ;-) If he can slice it, I'll print it for you.

deltaenterprizes
04-28-2020, 10:25 PM
I was hoping to see someone printed a single shot follower for a Savage Model 25 in 17 Hornet...they are terrible feeding from the detactable magazine. Please print 2 if you print one!

I would like to have one too for my 22 Hornet!

RedlegEd
04-28-2020, 10:49 PM

I'm still an amateur with Cura, so I've written my son to see if he can setup the g-code file with the 80% infill. Don't hold your breath, he's still in the early stage of his first girl friend, relationship. ;-) If he can slice it, I'll print it for you.

Hi,
If dbosman can’t do it for you, I can.
Ed

dbosman
04-29-2020, 01:39 PM
Hi,
If dbosman can’t do it for you, I can.
Ed

It should be finished this evening. My son surprised me early this morning with the file.

RedlegEd
04-29-2020, 02:17 PM
It should be finished this evening. My son surprised me early this morning with the file.

Hi dbosman,
That's great. I wasn't trying to get into your business, just offering an alternative. Glad you got it. If you have any questions on how to set up the infill in Cura, please shoot me a PM.
Ed

sparky45
04-29-2020, 05:44 PM
Great, let me know what I owe. Thanks a million fellas.

dbosman
04-29-2020, 08:23 PM
Filament is cheap. We already paid for the printer. It runs unattended. I'm happy to help where I can.
Someone will need something you can do or make, some day.

Please PM me your address.
I even get used bubble mailers free for the recycling. .

deltaenterprizes
04-30-2020, 11:24 PM
A Savage Model 25 22 Hornet magazine with more room inside so I can seat longer bullets out to proper length!

sparky45
05-08-2020, 05:44 PM
Many thanks to dbosman (and son) for the tooling made for my Mill. Received the device today. That will save many a chipped or broken pieces of tooling.

HollowPoint
05-08-2020, 09:46 PM
I've made all kinds of useful stuff since buying my first 3D printer. There was a slight learning curve but once I got the hang of it that 3D printer came in real handy.

Here's my short list of just some of the stuff I've been able to make with my printer. To describe it all would take me to long to write and far to long to read for that matter.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-qJ7Eah3yZ/ Suppressor

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9YCvmChQtT/ Scope Mount

https://www.instagram.com/p/B82IX8oJxP6/ Magazine

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6CTemLhozk/ Gimble

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4qK8arhoOE/ Brass Catcher

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2IjsXHhNuJ/ Fishing Lures

Thanks to the Trump Stimulus check I just recently bought a new Epax X1 3D resin printer. With resin prints I now have the ability to print with much tighter tolerances so I'll probably be revisiting some of my previous 3D filament printed models.

I've already started with the fishing lures I'd printed before with my FDM filament printer. I think that whatever model of 3D printer you decide to go with will be your first step toward nurturing your creative side.

It seems that lots of folks buy 3D printers to print little trinkets and such. I don't have a problem with that but I've never been one to print stuff that I can't get specific usage out of. I like designing and printing stuff I can put to good use.

HollowPoint

dragon813gt
05-08-2020, 10:06 PM
Could have used one over the weekend. I modified the kids power wheels to run off Bosch 18v batteries. I bought battery adapters that were 3D printed on eBay. And then had to mount everything together including the motor speed controller. If I had a 3D printer I could have printed one piece that would have included the adapter for the batteries and mounting holes for the motor speed controller. I really need to buy a printer.

MrWolf
05-08-2020, 11:16 PM
There is a kickstart running on the Crealty CR-6 SE now. Think can get it for around $320 if that phase is still open. I really thought about it but I have to many other projects going.

mattw
07-17-2020, 11:09 AM
I do not have a 3D printer, thinking really hard about the Creality Ender 3 V2. I am afraid that I will not understand the processes or the software and it will only get used to print canned items. I am mainly interested in making reloading things for the APP and RCBS and interested in making peg board things and bench accessories.

HollowPoint
07-20-2020, 04:02 PM
I do not have a 3D printer, thinking really hard about the Creality Ender 3 V2. I am afraid that I will not understand the processes or the software and it will only get used to print canned items. I am mainly interested in making reloading things for the APP and RCBS and interested in making peg board things and bench accessories.

Once you get the hang of it I guarantee you'll be wanting to expand your horizons and start printing stuff you never thought you'd print. I just recently printed up a set of injection molds for soft-plastic baits. I have yet to test them. I'm waiting on some Plastisol to arrive but I'm confident it will work. I'll never have to buy soft-plastic baits again.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCoaFgPhrQ6/

Just about everyone starts out printing other people's ideas or designs. Once their confidence grows they move on to bigger and better things.

HollowPoint

Texas Gun
09-30-2020, 01:02 PM
I’d like to have a very nice set of reload trays that are stackable that don’t stack on the shells but I actually have like legs that will lock so you can stack them

crandall crank
10-07-2020, 09:27 AM
I don't have a 3D printer....but the machine department at work does. I've had them print/make up some primer catch trays that fit MEC shotshell reloaders.

1eyedjack
03-10-2024, 08:02 PM
An adapter for the Lee APP bullet sizer die catch bottle. I like to use Gatorade or ice tea bottles to catch sized bullets but the threads are 30mm . The Lee bottles are too small and powder bottles are opaque. I modified the the part that holds the changeable dies in place by attaching a lid with a 5/8" hole in the center to the bottom of the die holder .

MrWolf
03-11-2024, 05:39 AM
I just got a Bambu X1 Carbon with the AMS. Wow, what a difference over that *** Creality garbage. Everything has printed great so far with no adjustments or animal sacrifices. Can even set the AMS (unit holds four spools) to use another spool if your current runs out or to print in multiple colors, etc.. I will be learning one of the cad programs during my rehab after surgery which is why I got the printer. Decent size bed and fast. Highly recommended so far and I did a bunch of research before buying. I would never buy another Creality machine after my lousy experience with them and their out right lies and lousy customer service.

flemdoug
03-11-2024, 05:49 PM
I've spent a lot of the winter working on this design. https://youtu.be/W9kQ49Q6KIw

KenH
03-12-2024, 09:39 PM
That's a very good design and very useful. Congrats.

flemdoug
03-12-2024, 11:14 PM
Thanks. Learning 3D design really elevates the level of enjoyment of 3D printing. 90% of my applications relate back to my shooting hobby.

flemdoug
03-13-2024, 11:23 AM
Also, I'm willing to share the design to anyone interested. For best results, I recommend a router and table saw. The table saw is required in order to rip the 'sliding' wood pieces to 1.75" width. Cross vsticks at 1.5" work fine, but ripping a 2.5" (1x3") to 2" is also necessary if you prefer 2" vs 1.5" cross sticks. Feel free to pm me so we can discuss the 3D printing requirements and how you would like the design files (.stl, .3mf, .step, or even the entire Fusion 360 .f3d file). The design includes router setup templates to use on a router table that position the bit to the exact distance from the fence and height of the bit. Also, templates to position the exact locations of all the holes that need to be drilled. I plan to do another video on the exact steps from raw wood to finished sticks to demonstrate the process to build these in the order that achieves the best results. There is a lot of printing involved -- ~15-20 hours depending on the printer.

KenH
03-14-2024, 09:33 AM
@flemdoug: I'd love to take you up on the offer but since the city moved city limits to adjoining my property and built a subdivision adjoining my property I don't get much shooting in. Totally ruined my shooting range.

So, I'll regretfully pass on the offer. It does sound like a fun project.