PDA

View Full Version : Slugging barrel help

Bantou
04-18-2020, 08:30 PM
I tried slugging my Nagant barrel this evening and things did not turn out well. Long story short, I now have a lead plug in my muzzle. I was using 1/4 dowel cut to about 12” lengths until 3 of them shattered. I upgraded to a brass cleaning rod which promptly bent. The barrel was clean and had a residual coat of oil still in it from cleaning. I used 1/4 oz egg sinkers and a rubber mallet. Anybody have an idea what I did wrong and what I could do to fix it?

Thanks,
B

Bantou
04-18-2020, 08:31 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200419/e7c1a898f05c44b3d78f35f085ad2f04.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bantou
04-18-2020, 08:31 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200419/a78f15f757dcccf2ea18ff91e52c01a3.jpg

Bantou
04-18-2020, 08:32 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200419/b6b93f628c4a31da79501b499e73bd5c.jpg

fa38
04-18-2020, 09:04 PM
I used some lead sinkers once for a bore cast and sent them to Veral Smith. He sent me some o his lead things with the little tail and told me to redo the bore cast pound cast as the sinkers were not pure lead and way too hard.

tazman
04-18-2020, 09:50 PM
Spray some Kroil into the barrel from the chamber side and let it set overnight, then see if the slug will move easier.

M-Tecs
04-18-2020, 10:04 PM
Normally when using egg sinkers you start with one that is smaller than the bore. Use a vise or a loading press to bump it up to just over the bore size.

PJEagle
04-18-2020, 10:10 PM
Use a of cold rolled steel rod from the chamber end and hit it hard with a 2 lb. hammer. Soft blows spread the slug instead of pushing it on through. That's the same advice Veral Smith gives to remove a squib bullet that is stuck in a barrel. Don't ask me how I know.

You need to use pure lead for slugs so they are soft enough. Round balls for a muzzle loader will work. Veral's slugs will work with a brass cleaning rod.

44Blam
04-18-2020, 10:17 PM
Spray some Kroil into the barrel from the chamber side and let it set overnight, then see if the slug will move easier.

Might also just try taking the bolt out and pushing it back out of the barrel - you might be able to use the cleaning rod they include with the gun. Or maybe a longer wooden dowel?

I like using this stuff:
https://www.rotometals.com/chamber-casting-alloy-ingot-aka-low-158-190f/

Tripplebeards
04-18-2020, 10:30 PM
Do you have an aluminum or fiberglass fish arrow? Ive done the same and used a large Phillips Driver and a metal hammer with a couple of good cracks to get it started far enough down to shear off the outside lead ring. I just made sure to keep my Phillips head in the middle of the slug so I would not scratch or damage the crown or rifling . I sweated my rear end off doing it but got it in and out with zero damage and learned my lesson. I now melt split in an empty case of a larger diameter straight wall pistol casing and tap it out with my bullet puller abs use it for a slug. Those egg sinkers must not be pure soft lead.

...or just pound it out from the breach and start over with soft lead.

Bantou
04-18-2020, 11:27 PM
Might also just try taking the bolt out and pushing it back out of the barrel - you might be able to use the cleaning rod they include with the gun. Or maybe a longer wooden dowel?

I like using this stuff:
https://www.rotometals.com/chamber-casting-alloy-ingot-aka-low-158-190f/

I tried that. The problem is that the barrel and action are so long that a normal cleaning rod won’t clear the muzzle with enough room to hammer on from the breach. I’ll look into the rotometal stuff for the next gun.

M-Tecs
04-18-2020, 11:36 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kuwv2UUzRFM

Bantou
04-18-2020, 11:45 PM
The only thing he did that I didn’t was grease the weight. I don’t remember them saying to do that in the article I read but I’ll have to go back and double check. His weight also looked to be a size smaller than mine so that could have something to do with it.

M-Tecs
04-18-2020, 11:51 PM
His weight also looked to be a size smaller than mine so that could have something to do with it.

He sized his egg sinker properly as in only a few thousands over. Your egg sinker was way oversized based on the extra lead at the muzzle.

Bad Ass Wallace
04-19-2020, 02:07 AM
An LPG torch will melt the offending slug without damaging the bluing!

mehavey
04-19-2020, 02:53 AM
Quite fooling around with wooden, aluminum, or brass rod . . . period.

Kroil it from breech end.
Let it sit.
While sitting, go get some hardened steel drill rod at a metal/welding supply store (it comes in various lengths)
Run that drill rod from the breech and smack it with heavy hammer -- hard -- until plug move out of muzzle.
It will come out.

onelight
04-19-2020, 06:25 AM
You could try a brass rod as close to bore size as I can with a 4' cut a foot or 6" off to use as a short starter , and the longer section section to finish .
The slug should be soft , as close to pure lead a you can get , be it ball or sinker you should be able to mark it with a finger nail. I get mine flush with a block of hard wood and a steel hammer. If the brass won't work in a small bore size you may have to use steel with tape to protect the bore . But a short section of rod to get it started to reduce the chance of bending the rod. You can get rod on amazon https://www.amazon.com/Unpolished-Finish-Temper-Diameter-Length/dp/B000H9JIQQ/ref=sr_1_36?dchild=1&keywords=brass+rod+1%2F4+inch&qid=1587290625&sr=8-36&swrs=EC168AC43DE686450C92DA78F0CD103D

JSnover
04-19-2020, 07:50 AM
The last time I slugged a bore I used a steel cleaning rod with a fired 22WMR case on the end and a 4lb hammer. Kroil the bore first.
Steel rod comes in 4' lengths at the hardware store, it's cheap enough and doesn't bother you so much if it gets damaged.

onelight
04-19-2020, 08:13 AM
The last time I slugged a bore I used a steel cleaning rod with a fired 22WMR case on the end and a 4lb hammer. Kroil the bore first.
Steel rod comes in 4' lengths at the hardware store, it's cheap enough and doesn't bother you so much if it gets damaged.
The case on the end is a great idea !

leadhead
04-19-2020, 08:31 AM
What ever you do.... DO NOT USE THAT SECTIONAL ROD I see on your bench.
The threaded sections will deform into each other and spread out into your
bore, and you will NEVER get it out. I destroyed a M1 barrel doing the same
thing. Do what the others say and get a steel rod and drive out from the breech
end. Then use a smaller diameter slug.
Denny

DAFzipper
04-19-2020, 03:22 PM
I went to chamber casting with garden sulfur. Read a post about it long ago on Cast Boolits forum. Bought bag at garden store. Life time supply.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Bantou
04-25-2020, 10:29 AM
Update: went to the local ACE and bought a 3ft 1/4 inch brass rod and was able to remove the offending weight. I slugged the barrel again using a smaller weight and grease and had no issues. It’s amazing how much better things work when you reread the direction right before doing a project instead of relying on a 3 month old memory lol