PDA

View Full Version : Unknown gunwriter

smithnframe
04-18-2020, 07:05 AM
I'm looking for a reprint of an article from a gun magazine from the early-mid 60's about a Remington rolling block in 45/70 . I can still see the pictures in my mind but I can't remember the name of the writer. I thought his name was Jack Ward and I've done an internet search and have found some articles by a Jack Ward but not the one I'm looking for. It was probably in a Guns or a Gun World magazine. Any help is appreciated!

dbosman
04-22-2020, 10:50 PM
Guns magazine is the easiest to check, but manually. Here is the link to
https://gunsmagazine.com/classic-issues/classic-guns-magazine-editions/
You can download PDF files of the issues from the period.

smithnframe
05-01-2020, 06:40 PM
I've checked many years of Guns magazine online!

Gregorious
05-01-2020, 08:31 PM
dbosman,

Thanks for the link!

skeettx
05-03-2020, 09:19 PM
Jack Lewis. Francis E. Sell ??

smithnframe
05-06-2020, 07:40 AM
Jack Lewis. Francis E. Sell ??

I'm familiar with both of these guys. I'm sure his last name was Ward. I remember he was handloading 330 or 405 gr bullets and shooting at water filled 5 gallon metal cans! The bullets didn't penetrate but they flattened out to over an inch on the inside wall!

Nueces
05-06-2020, 10:29 AM
I'm familiar with both of these guys. I'm sure his last name was Ward. I remember he was handloading 330 or 405 gr bullets and shooting at water filled 5 gallon metal cans! The bullets didn't penetrate but they flattened out to over an inch on the inside wall!

That lower bullet weight and performance put me in mind of the Lyman Ideal Gould bullet, later called the 457122. A lovely shape with a deep hollow point. It was the first one I tried in 45-70 in the early 70s and what you recall of the reported performance in water cans, I found in jackrabbits. Maybe expand your search to include Gould and 457122?

smithnframe
05-09-2020, 05:39 PM
That lower bullet weight and performance put me in mind of the Lyman Ideal Gould bullet, later called the 457122. A lovely shape with a deep hollow point. It was the first one I tried in 45-70 in the early 70s and what you recall of the reported performance in water cans, I found in jackrabbits. Maybe expand your search to include Gould and 457122?

I'm not looking for the bullet.......I'm looking for the article!

Nueces
05-10-2020, 10:55 AM
I'm not looking for the bullet.......I'm looking for the article!

Yeah. But, if you search for the bullet (and your author had used it), then you might get a hit, or maybe find another article that mentions the one you're looking for.

smithnframe
05-11-2020, 04:23 PM
Yeah. But, if you search for the bullet (and your author had used it), then you might get a hit, or maybe find another article that mentions the one you're looking for.

If that's the case then I could just look up Remington rolling block articles!

Eddie Southgate
05-19-2020, 01:51 AM
Hits on the lookup for the Gould bullet will be a lot fewer even if you get a hit from everything ever written about them . The number of hits for Remington Rolling Block articles would be astronomical .

skeettx
05-19-2020, 09:30 AM
Found Jack Ward in GUNS magazine
https://gunsmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/G0866.pdf

What picture are you remembering??

3006guns
05-20-2020, 10:16 PM
Hey..........check out the article on page 32, regarding the "new wildcat" 7.62x38mm! Sure death on jack rabbits it says, and formed from a Savage or .308 round if I read correctly. Sounds like someone was predicting the sks/ak round in America a few years in advance!

Old gun magazines are a treasure of historical lore. Be sure to check the prices in some of the old ads........then have a drink and go to bed.

smithnframe
05-21-2020, 07:25 AM
Hey..........check out the article on page 32, regarding the "new wildcat" 7.62x38mm! Sure death on jack rabbits it says, and formed from a Savage or .308 round if I read correctly. Sounds like someone was predicting the sks/ak round in America a few years in advance!

Old gun magazines are a treasure of historical lore. Be sure to check the prices in some of the old ads........then have a drink and go to bed.
I've seen this article and I'm positive it's the right guy but I can't find the article I'm looking for! The title may have been.......It booms and bucks and churns up the foot pounds!

GONRA
05-25-2020, 10:42 PM
GONRA sez 7.62x38mm Berdan primed brass and separate FMJ bullets
were sold to cartridge collectors back in 1960's, probably much earlier.
Veeery close to the modern 7.62x39mm Soviet cartridge.
(Am SURE one could load 'em and shoot in Soviet arms!)

Supposedly imported from Switzerland in boxes of 100.
(Somebody loaded a few and marketed as a complete cartridge to unknowing collectors.)

Remember that Europeans tried all sort of experimental automatic rifles / carbines / SMG's / etc.
with strange modified blowback actions whilst preparing for WW II.
This one probably was an experimental assault rifle cartridge. (???)

No reason Soviets couldn't get some too....
(Early Soviet 7.62x39mm ammo made by NWM in the Netherlands was head stamped 7.62x38 .)

Crazy historical/technical stuff like this makes cartridge collecting fascinating....