PDA

View Full Version : Anyone who has attempted a long shot off hand can appreciate this!

Traffer
04-17-2020, 08:08 PM
I have posted some other videos of this shooter in the past. I still can't get over how good he is. People who don't shoot have no idea how hard this is but the folks here will appreciate it:

https://youtu.be/5vO8ElKNvoA

MrHarmless
04-17-2020, 08:16 PM
Yeesh. That's just madness. Pretty terrifying what a squad of dudes could do with 1873's and volley sights.

nagantguy
04-17-2020, 08:24 PM
Pretty good off hand shooting and she’s a great spotter!

Silvercreek Farmer
04-17-2020, 08:25 PM
Fun times! I need to train my wife to spot! Makes more sense than the ridiculous pop shots people take on game on youtube.

turtlezx
04-17-2020, 08:39 PM
bow to the king

cwtebay
04-17-2020, 11:23 PM
Wow!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Tatume
04-18-2020, 09:53 AM
One day at the end of the MCB Quantico 200 - 1000 yard high power match I asked the RO if I could take one shot offhand at 1000 yards with my M1 Garand. He keyed his mic and told the pit "one shot coming on #7." I fired, the target went down, came back up scored 9, and the Marine RO walked away muttering "Well I'll be." I was pleased.

northmn
04-18-2020, 10:37 AM
When I shot muzzle loader competition I did all my shooting off hand and even sighted in offhand and got pretty fair at it. I remember some guys were shooting some Remington Rolling blocks at a gong at a BP shoot and I was interested in them so one offered to let me shoot his. I shouldered it and rang the gong and he commented that they were shooting sitting or prone to do that. The most humorous example I saw was a fellow shooter and his wife who walked up to some shooters plinking at silhouettes with single shot pistols. One offered to let him shoot and he knocked over a silhouette shooting it like a target pistol, his wife thought that was interesting and she shot the same way and knocked over another target. They handed them back to the owner who was rather put out as he was not hitting so well shooting off the ground:D It is a discipline that takes a bit of practice. I used to hear a lot of guys brag about how tight of groups and how well their rifles shot but who later washed out in competition because all they shot was bench rest.

I am 70 years old now and not so steady but I still like to go out with a 32-20,357 or my 22 mag and do some offhand plinking while in the woods. A stump against a hill or other targets makes life interesting and combines a little range estimation with the practice.

DEP

alfadan
04-18-2020, 11:26 PM
I don't think i could even see that plate at half the distance!

Traffer
04-18-2020, 11:55 PM
I don't think i could even see that plate at half the distance!

I'd have trouble seeing it at 200 yards and we are talking a mile and a half here.

northmn
04-19-2020, 08:26 AM
Kind of sums up what was said about Quigley in the movie. You can keep his rifle but give me his eyesight.

DEP

Doolin-Dalton
05-05-2020, 11:22 PM
Makes me think of my favourite scene in the movie Lonesome Dove - Gus with his ladder sight on the Henry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmYug0g1s2I

Drm50
05-06-2020, 07:44 AM
I’m way past that shooting and eye sight required. One thing that sticks in my mind about long range shooting is what a DI told us in basic training. He said if you were in the dark and only the target was lit, how would you know if it was a golf ball or GI can lid? In other words other than the range, if you can see it you can aim at it. If you can see bullet strike you can compensate. It’s like walking in artillery with a FO.

northmn
05-06-2020, 09:38 AM
Paul Matthews did a lot of long range shooting with the 45-70. He claimed that as long as you know the distance you can se the sights for it. Biggest problem is the wind.

DEP

koger
05-06-2020, 10:00 AM
I shoot offhand a lot, mostly at 200yds in, by my house and barn. I shot ML's in offhand competition for several years, and it requires a little bit more follow thru than a centerfire or rimfire. My offhand shooting was 3x better than it was, about a year into it. I can still hit a 5x5" plate hanging at 130 yds, 70% of the time, with a wide variety of guns. I shoot every day, except Sunday, and that has something to do with it.

popper
05-06-2020, 10:06 AM
Reminds me of the guy that shot steel buffalo @ 1200 with 30/30 long time ago.

indian joe
05-06-2020, 09:08 PM
This guy is really good .......but his spotter is equally as talented !

Chuck Perry
05-07-2020, 06:31 AM
Love the long delay between firing and the bullet strike.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Hickory
05-07-2020, 07:01 AM
This is kinda like shooting at prairie dogs 6-700 yards away with a 223 Remington in a 20 mile per hour cross wind.

akajun
05-07-2020, 11:26 AM
Im just gonna say this, I have my doubts about this video. Im a pretty good offhand shooter, Im no Brandon Green but Im usually over 96-7 with a few x's and have cleaned the offhand stage a few times. I don't see how thy are even reaching the target at that distance with that gun and load ( yes I have one) or with those sights. Any hits they are making are pure luck or the video is straight BS.
Just my professional opinion.

Bubba w/a 45/70
05-08-2020, 08:06 AM
No BS.

This would have been something very doable 15+ years ago when I was shooting alot of buffalo rifle and 308 bolt rifle with open sights. I was able to see the sights, targets, and could shoot very good when everything came together for me on that day. Some days were better than others, but normally things were good for me.

The 45/70 made the 308 seem like shooting a laser that didn't need elevation.

They were just using a radio/mike on the steel, just like we used to to verify hits. The video just helps make things see-able for us.

dverna
05-08-2020, 09:02 AM
Im just gonna say this, I have my doubts about this video. Im a pretty good offhand shooter, Im no Brandon Green but Im usually over 96-7 with a few x's and have cleaned the offhand stage a few times. I don't see how thy are even reaching the target at that distance with that gun and load ( yes I have one) or with those sights. Any hits they are making are pure luck or the video is straight BS.

Agree. It would be an achievement to hit a 24" target off a rest with that rifle/load. Add in a bit of wind?????

Mr_Sheesh
05-11-2020, 03:52 AM
If you want to try that - Practice, Practice, Practice. I wish I could do now, what I was taking for granted when 10-12 :)

indian joe
05-11-2020, 08:16 AM

So you are shooting 2inch group at 100yards? (3 inches wont get you 97) This guy is shooting at a two foot plate? at 1960 yards - same MOA hold as your target will put him on with about half his shots - his spotter is brilliant - and have a look (a close look not just ahh thats BS) at his target setup hes got two big gate posts sticking up right behind the plate target gives him a real nice holdover aiming mark. He was quite open about the fact that the one hit in the video was a fluke hit on his flagpole a couple of feet above the plate - "just having some fun at the end of our season" -----really dont know what your problem is with this -- there are a few aussies can shoot a long gun as good as you guys .

akajun
05-11-2020, 03:00 PM
10 ring on the 200yd target is 6" so no. Its soooo easy to hit inside 6" at 200 right? that's why people always shoot cleans in offhand.
Look Im telling you I have shot offhand in Highpower, smallbore, and airgun since 1989 and there is a whole hell of a lot more to shooting offhand than group size. Try shooting air rifle outdoors offhand past 25 yds if you want a quick lesson in Follow Through and wind. Plus when you start shooting at long range a minor change of direction will blow him off a target at that distance with a 30 cal magnum round, much less a 45/70 travelling 1/3 of that speed.
If that guy is as good as his video, then he should have no problem winning the international Hunter Silhouette, BPCR, and or F Palma.
You can believe what you want, but IMHO its a highly edited or BS video.
and Nobody said the Aussies cant shoot, them and the Kiwis put a whoopin on good ole Team USA recently, but that guy wasn't on the team and it was not with that rifle.

Cosmic_Charlie
05-11-2020, 08:45 PM
You can have a whole lotta fun taking long shots across canyons or up distant hillsides at conspicuous boulders and such. We have shot across remote lakes at weed clumps. Once you get things doped ii is easier than you think to drop your shots right in there. And don't leave the big bore revolvers in the trunk either. 1,900 yards is way far though.

largom
05-11-2020, 09:31 PM
Watch the recoil in the video and tell me that's a 45-70 full power shot.

megasupermagnum
05-11-2020, 10:22 PM

From the military Sandy Hook tests of 1879.

"For 3,500 yards distance, angles of elevation ran from 27 degrees to 29 degrees. This varied drastically from day to day due to the effects of head and tail winds. The quicker-twist rifles required less elevation than the others at the same range. The greatest distance obtained with the .45-caliber long range, 1-in-18 twist Springfield rifle was 3,680 yards. Angle of elevation didn't exceed 32 degrees on a day when an angle of about 25 degrees placed bullets all around the target at 3,500 yards range.
While these tests may be considered mere oddities today, they proved extremely useful at the time. The fact that the 500-grain bullet penetrated through the three-plank target and eight inches into sand meant that it could kill or wound enemy troops at extreme distances, even if they were partially protected and that was significant military information in a period when it was quite usual for large masses of troops to form up within view of defenders...."

Dumb luck hit for sure, I don't know how anyone can argue that you can become good enough to off hand shoot anything smaller than a barn at 2000 yards. But the round itself is capable of traveling well over 2000 yards.

Win94ae
05-11-2020, 11:05 PM

It really isn't that unbelievable... especially since he didn't even hit the target!

...and at the least, you could have watched the video before you besmirched them.

cwtebay
05-12-2020, 12:41 AM

"For 3,500 yards distance, angles of elevation ran from 27 degrees to 29 degrees. This varied drastically from day to day due to the effects of head and tail winds. The quicker-twist rifles required less elevation than the others at the same range. The greatest distance obtained with the .45-caliber long range, 1-in-18 twist Springfield rifle was 3,680 yards. Angle of elevation didn't exceed 32 degrees on a day when an angle of about 25 degrees placed bullets all around the target at 3,500 yards range.
While these tests may be considered mere oddities today, they proved extremely useful at the time. The fact that the 500-grain bullet penetrated through the three-plank target and eight inches into sand meant that it could kill or wound enemy troops at extreme distances, even if they were partially protected and that was significant military information in a period when it was quite usual for large masses of troops to form up within view of defenders...."

Dumb luck hit for sure, I don't know how anyone can argue that you can become good enough to off hand shoot anything smaller than a barn at 2000 yards. But the round itself is capable of traveling well over 2000 yards.Thank you! I was trying to locate that paper since this thread became a bit divisive. Amazing what lengths (no pun intended) were gone to during those trials!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

indian joe
05-12-2020, 09:36 AM
10 ring on the 200yd target is 6" so no. Its soooo easy to hit inside 6" at 200 right? that's why people always shoot cleans in offhand.
Look Im telling you I have shot offhand in Highpower, smallbore, and airgun since 1989 and there is a whole hell of a lot more to shooting offhand than group size. Try shooting air rifle outdoors offhand past 25 yds if you want a quick lesson in Follow Through and wind. Plus when you start shooting at long range a minor change of direction will blow him off a target at that distance with a 30 cal magnum round, much less a 45/70 travelling 1/3 of that speed.
If that guy is as good as his video, then he should have no problem winning the international Hunter Silhouette, BPCR, and or F Palma.
You can believe what you want, but IMHO its a highly edited or BS video.
and Nobody said the Aussies cant shoot, them and the Kiwis put a whoopin on good ole Team USA recently, but that guy wasn't on the team and it was not with that rifle.

why you so keen on rubbishing this bloke ? just havin some fun he said - he walked his shots in, quit when he thought he made a hit, showed us the fluke hit on the flagpole, wheres the BS ????

akajun
05-12-2020, 03:10 PM

Dumb luck hit for sure, I don't know how anyone can argue that you can become good enough to off hand shoot anything smaller than a barn at 2000 yards. But the round itself is capable of traveling well over 2000 yards.
Those tests were with long barreled guns to get the velocity up, not a 20" barrel.

indian joe
05-12-2020, 10:03 PM
Those tests were with long barreled guns to get the velocity up, not a 20" barrel.

This bloke is shooting modern smokeless handloads - hornady 325 plastic pointy nose over ADI powder clocked at 2280FPS -- would assume his chronograph is reasonably accurate ? or do they not work properly south of the equator either ? --- Sandy Hook test was blackpowder - of course they couldnt get that velocity with BP

- jeez guys you are inventing arguments to disprove something the bloke himself never claimed to do --- go back and view the video again and look at his fall of shot - he's done pretty good - put em into a target about the size of an F250 truck - good effort but he didnt blow the front wheel off it

Drm50
05-13-2020, 07:33 AM
I live in SE Ohio, the Appalachian region our county is called the Switzerland of Ohio. About only long shots we get are varmit hunting and even then you don’t see bullet strike. It’s a whole different ball game shooting on deserts or over big water. Off hand you may not hit a guy but you will make him seek cover.