PDA

View Full Version : 3 D printing questions

Gunslinger1911
04-17-2020, 05:38 PM
We seem to have a wealth of knowledge here, not just guns and boolets.

Did some searching, but my search foo needs work ,

Anybody have an opinion of what would be the "printer to get"

Looking for less than $500, don't mind putting it together.

Not a nerd, but not a luddite either.

I see so many useful things that can be made with one of these things.

So far, the Anet 8 seems to be a winner.

What say you to help a buddy out ?

dbosman
04-17-2020, 08:54 PM
Prussa make very printers. They take about six hours to assemble. We have two at the library I work in that are running as close to 24/7 as we can restart after they print two face shield frames. Currently we're using PETG as it is cleanable. PLA is the simplest filament to use, but it won't stand up to sterilizing chemicals.

For people who like to tinker (us) the Anet or Ender printers are under $200. They take two to six hours to assemble. They print PLA easily. I've made powder tricklers, bushings for MEC charge bars and most recently Lee Micro Disks. Prussa Cura is one of the better slicers. I've edited this to add a picture of a few of what I've made this week.

Files for shooting related items can only increase as more of us contribute.260882

Mr_Sheesh
04-17-2020, 11:20 PM
The folks researching 3d printing of frames. etc. who I've talked with suggest the Creatify 3D Ender 3 printer, 250-350 range.

Rcmaveric
04-18-2020, 12:49 AM
I have the Creality Ender 3. I enjoy it it came highly recommended by a few friends of mine that are due hard 3D printing nerds. The Pro model isn't worth the extra money.

I would recommend that one and they have an updated model they are releasing.

I run Linux on my computer and use Cura to slice.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Mr_Sheesh
04-18-2020, 04:19 AM
Creality, right. Brain here's messed up. Insomnia sux.

You can buy Prusa kits for $100 off evilbay etc., I've heard, if you don't know how to build them that can be a long time getting them going; Enders are 2-3 hours to 'good to go'

Rcmaveric
04-18-2020, 06:43 AM
Ender 3 instructions are very lacking. But there are a lot of YouTube videos from fans and Creality that will help you.

What ever you get, also order the Auto Bed Leveling kit a couple spools of plastic. Leveling the bed is a pain and that will help you a lot. Most printers don't come with plastic and trust me you will use it all printing upgrades lol.

MrWolf
04-18-2020, 07:05 AM
I would check out the YouTube videos on 3d printers. There are a lot of them and the various modifications available. I had thought about getting one but just to much to do around here first. Good luck.

franklin_m
04-18-2020, 07:26 AM
I have an Anet A8 for going on three years now. You have to tinker with it for a while to get reliable prints, but once you figure out common issues and how to fix them, it's actually quite reliable. After three years, the biggest recommendations I'd add up front are a glass plate for the bed (note 1), a supply of extra nozzles and feed tubes (note 2), a Raspberry Pi3+ (note 3), and couple tools (note 4). After you get it built, recommend anchoring it to a thick piece of plywood using any number of the hold-down parts you can 3D print.

Feel free to PM me if you want more details!

Note 1: My aluminum bed worked great for a while, but it has warped a bit over time due I think to belt tension. You don't need one right away though.

Note 2: I'm sure some guys are better at changing filaments than I am, but occasionally they get clogged / broken at feed, etc. They're not that expensive and I try to have a few on hand to make it easy to change if needed.

Note 3: I use a Raspberry Pi3+ running OctoPrint to control the printer. I can connect to OctoPrint via my network, upload a file, tell it to print, and then let the Raspberry Pi do the work. Not strictly mandatory, you can do the slicing on your home PC, dump the file to a micro SD card, and upload that way. I find the Pi waaaayyyyy more convenient - though there is some setup and configuration required. I even 3D printed a custom case that mounts to the Anet behind the display. I added a camera so I can watch it -- mine does not have the thermal runaway firmware installed, so this allows me to check it (there are other ways to do it though).

Note 4: I got tired of running to my garage for the hand tools you'll need fairly often, so I bought inexpensive set to keep in a small plastic case (Staples school hard plastic case). Metric hex drivers ( 3.0, 2.5, 1.5, and 1.0). Box wrenches 10mm, 8mm, and 6mm. 8inch adjustable wrench. 5.5mm nut driver. Paint scraper. I use the 3.0mm and 2.5mm anytime I have to change nozzles. I think I used the 1.5 and 1.0 somewhere on the build, but don't remember for sure. I build RC helos too, and had an extra set of hex drivers, so I just threw them all in the box. Adjustable wrench is to hold the heated head block while you change nozzles. My original nozzle was 8mm (box wrench) but my new ones are 6mm (another box wrench). I used the 10mm somewhere, but can't remember where though. The 5.5mm nut driver is for hardware nuts (convenience). Paint scraper is to remove tough sticking builds from bed.

wrinkles
04-18-2020, 02:25 PM
I have a mini select wanted to upgrade to an anet 8 or something similar but with the covid19 scar prices have gone up to double what they were a couple of weeks ago.

dbosman
04-22-2020, 10:39 PM
The Ender 3 is sold out a lot of places. Amazon is the recommended seller due to them stocking some. I got ours from Walmart for $188.95.
Walmart still had some last week but they don't show any today.
For a smooth printing surface, on an Ender 3, buy a package of mirror tiles. Usually five or six for $12.-$20. Skip all the "recommended upgrades" as you won't make good uses of them until after you master the Ender 3,

Drm50
04-22-2020, 11:01 PM
I just bought one but I am a Luddite. My boy bought it and is going to put it together. He going to run it, I just paid for it. Right around $500. Bought basically to make fishing lures but will make a few gun parts.

Gunslinger1911
04-28-2020, 07:11 PM
I'm liking the vids of the Ender 3. May have a winner ! Thanks folks !

firefly1957
05-07-2020, 07:45 PM
I was wonering the other day if these things could turn out a decent sabot and how long it would take for each one in say 44 caliber to hold a 38 bullet ?

Mr_Sheesh
05-08-2020, 08:38 AM
3d printing's best for prototyping, it is a smidge slow for "production"; depends on your printer & settings how slow or fast it is. IMO the best thing to do some times is to make a prototype with 3d printing and then cast it in urethane or the like for mass production; BUT making 2-3 to test isn't mass production! Just pointing out the landscape here, the timing would depend on the specifics of the sabot design & your printers' settings...

dbosman
05-08-2020, 09:03 PM
I've got a file for a .22 bullet in a 9mm cartridge. As soon as my son readjusts the printer I'm make, and time some.

lksmith
05-03-2021, 10:12 AM
We seem to have a wealth of knowledge here, not just guns and boolets.

Did some searching, but my search foo needs work ,

Anybody have an opinion of what would be the "printer to get"

Looking for less than $500, don't mind putting it together.

Not a nerd, but not a luddite either.

I see so many useful things that can be made with one of these things.

So far, the Anet 8 seems to be a winner.

What say you to help a buddy out ?

IF you go with an A8, get the metal frame. I have an A8, but not had a ton of luck with it. The heated bed wouldn't shut off and i kept having layer shifts.
it is a popular model, and if you have the time and desire to tinker, you may like it

lksmith
05-03-2021, 10:14 AM
Right now, I am looking at a BIBO touch. Dual extruder and laser engraver. Has good reviews, and for the price looks to be a bargain since it is an enclosed printer that has a lot of upgrades included. But runs $700-800

HATCH
05-03-2021, 10:45 AM
I have a anet a8
Its a good basic model
I added a on/off switch to the right of the 5 button keypad. This way I could cut the machine off without having to unplug it.
I printed a couple mods for it.

Fan spacer - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1798669
anti-z wobble - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2436455

Purchased a micro-sd extension cable (this is a example, not the one I got) - https://www.amazon.com/LANMU-Extension-MicroSDHC-Monoprice-Raspberry/dp/B07WWVBK8V/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=memory+card+extender&qid=1620052777&sr=8-4

I used double sided tape and taped it to the top of the printer. Allows easy access.

Only issues I have are the following

1) Leveling the bed. Its a pain in the butt to do it
2) Parts not sticking to bed on startup - this is mainly due to improper level. I level it twice, use blue masking tape and then a glue stick
3) The filament breaking off if I let it sit unused.
4) Feeding the filament into the nozzle

MrWolf
05-03-2021, 08:23 PM
I ended up with a Creality cr 6-se 3d printer that I got for $299. It has a self leveling bed and pretty easy to change out filaments. I did the firmware upgrade and can make adjustments on the fly now. Got PLA down and trying PETG which is being a pain trying to find the right settings. Adhesion is my problem. Been useful in getting organized with battery storage and tool storage primarily. Printing does take more time than you would think.
Ron

HATCH
05-07-2021, 08:54 AM
One note I can mention is that it REALLY sucks being 5 hours in on a 8 hour print job and the power flickers.

Mr_Sheesh
05-08-2021, 01:19 AM
No doubt! This is why a good UPS is on my list to power the printers, even tho the one I got supposedly handles power glitches well, better yet to have zero power dropouts!

MrWolf
05-08-2021, 09:25 AM
One note I can mention is that it REALLY sucks being 5 hours in on a 8 hour print job and the power flickers.

Bingo. Had it happen as we get a lot of short power outages here. Luckily I had a spare power supply. Saved my butt a few times already.

KCcactus
05-23-2021, 10:32 PM
I got my son an XYZ Crazy3dPrint for Christmas 2019. He had problems with random layer shifts. With help from their support, he figured out the problem was the travel and print speeds he was using were too fast. Prints much better now. I haven't played with it much, but did make some inserts for the Lyman 17A front sights on my lever rifles.

PNW_Steve
05-23-2021, 10:40 PM
I have the Creality Ender 3. I enjoy it it came highly recommended by a few friends of mine that are due hard 3D printing nerds. The Pro model isn't worth the extra money.

I would recommend that one and they have an updated model they are releasing.

I run Linux on my computer and use Cura to slice.

+1

After much research I bought my first 3D printer a few months ago. I am very happy with my choice of the Ender 3Dv2.

Mr_Sheesh
05-24-2021, 12:14 AM
I have a 3V2 as well, eventually I will get the 2nd Z plane motor and etc. upgrade, and a direct filament drive upgrade. Should let me print faster :) First I need to get it put together though LOL

Swampy75
05-24-2021, 02:54 PM
3V2 is what I am running as well. Just upgraded the hot end to allow use of nylon. Pretty simple to set up and operate.

Mr_Sheesh
05-24-2021, 06:25 PM
Nylon would be good, I need to see how to do that hot end upgrade some day :)

Swampy75
05-25-2021, 10:32 AM
There are a couple of options to do the upgrade. All metal Micro Swiss runs about $63 on Amazon or the cheapo off brand for $12. I went cheap lol. Basically the kits replace the plastic tube in the hot end between the heat sink and extruder head with a metal tube so it wont melt at the higher temp. I have not tried it with the nylon yet. I've been running it with PLA to ensure I didn't screw something up on the install. According to my research online, I may need to re-calibrate the temp sensor for the higher temps but I am really hoping to avoid that lol.

Handloader109
05-27-2021, 09:56 AM
If you guys have the money, don't really want to tinker but print once the printer is built, buy a Prusa Mk3s+ . Kit is $750, Have to add a magnetic sheet or two depending on what you want to print with so roughly $850 total. Yes, not cheap, but once you get printer built, and then spend a couple of hours getting it set up for PLA and or PETG, it just prints. I bought one last year and it just works. I can turn it on, select the model off the card and press go. It heats, calibrates and just prints. NO tinkering.

GregLaROCHE
05-27-2021, 12:48 PM

I’m new to 3D printing, but am worried about power outages that occur often where I live. Many years ago I had a backup battery/inverter when using a computer with a generator. So far my projects don’t take that long. Is even a one second cut in power enough to ruin a print?

MrWolf
05-27-2021, 12:59 PM
I’m new to 3D printing, but am worried about power outages that occur often where I live. Many years ago I had a backup battery/inverter when using a computer with a generator. So far my projects don’t take that long. Is even a one second cut in power enough to ruin a print?

Not sure. I know my generator does not kick in until 5 seconds so I use the backup. Why take a chance as battery backups are not that expensive especially if a print has been running for over 24 hours.