PDA

View Full Version : Best BHN Hardness for Hunting with ML's

edmehlig
04-17-2020, 04:29 PM
I'm fairly new to casting and was wondering if 40-1 lead is soft enough for hunting with a ML if you keep your velocity under 1400fps? The reason why I'm asking is there have been times when I cast bullets with pure lead the bullets moved off the charge while walking around the woods. A friend of mine gave me some 40-1 lead bullets that I sized with the same sizing die and I can feel the bullet having more resistance all the way down so I'm sure the bullet won't move off the charge while stalking. Your thoughts are appreciated.

M-Tecs
04-17-2020, 06:00 PM
Pure lead bullets won't move if they are of the proper size. What bullet are you using and why are you sizing them?

As to hardness 16-1 has killed a lot of game.

John McCorkle
04-17-2020, 11:44 PM
These bullets conicals I presume? Roundballs shouldn't move at all....the patch and ball size should be tight as you can possibly get without deforming the ball and as is best proven by accuracy.

I would test the diameter of your bore by slugging to see if it's maybe a few thou larger than you expected?

I've used the Lee REAL with super success (not everyone has...it's a love/hate) and they are snug to start but stay in place well.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

megasupermagnum
04-18-2020, 12:07 AM
Sure, 40-1 alloy can work just fine, as can 30-1, 20-1, or even harder. Blackpowder is extremely forgiving. Either way, I would be sizing .001" larger than you are now. Pure lead conicals will not move if they are a snug fit. Even the Lee REAL's, which practically fall down a barrel, do not move.

M-Tecs
04-18-2020, 12:53 AM
For muzzleloading with round ball pure lead is recommend since it grips the patch best. Some have had good results with harder. I have a good supply of pure so for RB that is all I use. For conicals without a sabot max hardness is determined by loading effort. As a kid in the early 70's I tried straight wheel weights for Maxi-balls. They were to hard to load.

I am still curious why you are sizing conicals for use in a muzzleloader?

Most conical lead bullet ML hunters use Lee Real Bullets or TC Maxi-Ball's. Neither one is normally sized before loading and in the case of the TC Maxi-Ball the base is a smaller diameter than the center and the top is the largest for easier loading. I do have a couple of molds that the center driving band is smaller than the base but the top driving band should be the largest.

Never used the Lee minie bullets so no comment.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?67772-How-to-use-a-maxi-ball

megasupermagnum
04-18-2020, 04:31 PM
I'm just guessing here, but there are conical bullets that are sized to your bore size. No Excuses bullets sells this style of muzzleloader conical. If they are only a slip fit in the bore, the fix is to size .001" larger, not cast them harder. Unless of course you wanted a harder bullet anyway. They bump up to fill the grooves when fired.

M-Tecs
04-18-2020, 06:43 PM
Cast bullet Obturation can get to be a very heated discussion. I really am not looking to open that can of worms other than in 52 years of casting I have yet to see optimum results with undersize bullets of any type with smokeless, BP subs and real BP with flat base bullets in any type of firearm. I have had some good results with some undersize hollow base designs.

Per No Excuses bullets the claim https://www.muzzleloading-bullets.com/frequently-asked-questions-faqs/

They load surprisingly easy. Is that a problem? They were designed to load easy and not be deformed during the loading process. They are cast from pure lead and because of that, they obturate (belly out) when fired engaging the riflings on the way out. There is a danger, however if the bullet is too loose. It is important that the bullet always stays firmly seated on the powder charge. If it migrates off that powder during normal hunting or travel, then your particular bore may not be suited to utilize No Excuses in the ordered sized diameter. We offer all of the 50 caliber bullets in .500, .501, .502, .503 and .504. Unsure what size you need? Generally speaking .503 fits nearly all 50 caliber rifles with the exception of Gonics which require a .500. If you are one of “those people” that need to know exactly we offer a “Sizing Pack” that takes all the guess work out of it. Check your particular manufacturers recommendations for suitability. (Fouling the bore will often aid in securing the bullet over the powder charge).

Can No Excuses be used in conjunction with pellet charges? They can be, but several customers have had difficulty getting them to group well with pellets. If you are having difficulties with accuracy, try some loose powder and see if accuracy improves. It is not a problem with the bullet design but an issue with the amount of applied pressure to the bullet onto the pellets during seating. One or all of the pellets get crushed during the loading and causes inconsistencies in the burn rate from shot to shot. (at least that’s my belief).

I have never shot one of their bullets and have zero interest in testing them. The question is how much does being undersize effect accuracy and does it make a difference to the shooter? For some 2MOA is marginal and for others 4 MOA is great.

In the case of 22LR/22MAG convertible cylinders I have yet to find one the shoots 22LR and well as 22Mag. The pre convertible Ruger single Six shot very well with their .222 barrels. After they started making convertibles the switched to .224 barrels.