PDA

View Full Version : Mares Leg Stock For A Mossberg 500

jonp
04-17-2020, 03:05 PM
Friend of mine has a Shockwave and wants to change out the pistol grip for a Mares Leg style for some reason.
He doesn't do woodworking so cutting and fitting a regular stock is out.
Anyone know where one could be bought? That $1200 Trump Money is burning a hole on his pocket

jaguarxk120
04-17-2020, 03:09 PM
He has to be carful about changing the overall length of the gun.
If the length becomes shorter than 26 inches then it becomes a different class of gun
in the eyes of the ATF.

jonp
04-17-2020, 03:12 PM
He has to be carful about changing the overall length of the gun.
If the length becomes shorter than 26 inches then it becomes a different class of gun
in the eyes of the ATF.

Yup, I warned him but I think the Mares leg would be the same length or a little longer than the pistol grip

Texas by God
04-17-2020, 11:55 PM
I would imagine the straight grip would allow the trigger guard to slam into one’s middle finger fast enough to launch cuss words out of one’s mouth instantly. I vote “ bad idea”.....but I said the same thing about the Shockwave itself. Someone can carve one out of a regular field buttstock easily enough.

Baltimoreed
04-18-2020, 12:33 AM
I built this out of a Marlin pump shotgun a few years ago. Saw an 1897 Winchester cut down with the stock cut this way and thought it looked cool.

jonp
04-18-2020, 07:36 AM
I would imagine the straight grip would allow the trigger guard to slam into one’s middle finger fast enough to launch cuss words out of one’s mouth instantly. I vote “ bad idea”.....but I said the same thing about the Shockwave itself. Someone can carve one out of a regular field buttstock easily enough.

I vote "bad idea" myself for the reasons you mentioned but youth is what it is. Other than a possible broken finger I don't think it's dangerous so after a "are you sure you want to do that" comment I've got nothing else to say on it. He wants to buy one not carve one himself as I also suggested.

Hickory
04-18-2020, 07:56 AM
I would not venture into the no-mans-land of unknown legal interpretation of the law. The learning experience could be quite costly.

Baltimoreed
04-18-2020, 02:54 PM
Here’s the NFA deal on a cut down shotgun. Barrel has to be longer than 18 inches and an OAL of no less than 26 inches. Where you run into trouble is using a pistol grip style buttstock which tend to be a lot shorter than a Shockwave grip or what I made. The shorter the grip the longer the bbl has to be to keep the 26 in oal. As far as shooting one I’ve used mine in a couple of Zoot matches and its very comfortable as you’re shooting your sg from a high waist position not from the shoulder or holding it eye level like a handgun. I also was using my #9 cas loads which are hotter than W-W feather-lights but not as hot as field loads. I wouldn’t run buck through my old Marlin.