PDA

View Full Version : Push Feed with a Mauser Bolt

fourclicks
04-17-2020, 09:50 AM
I have a large ring mauser which I re-barreled from 8mm to 7mm-08, feeding bullets can be a pain sometimes using the controlled feed method. I want to know if the bolt on this rifle can be modified for Push-Feed. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Elroy
04-17-2020, 09:57 AM
I wouldn't do it personally,but you could probably work the extractor down a very little bit,and get something akin to a Ruger 77's feed/extraction.I don't really know what your issue is with controlled feed of a Mauser.The only draw back that I can think of is loading it to mag +1..

Der Gebirgsjager
04-17-2020, 11:03 AM
Could it be done? Probably. How practical is it? It might turn out to be more complicated and require more effort than you'd desire. The classic example are the Winchester Model 70s, where both kinds of feed, controlled and push, exist. If you examine both you'll see that a different type of extractor will be required. If your replacement barrel is already cut for the standard controlled feed extractor you might be into removing the barrel and modifying the breech. As suggested by Elroy, careful modification of your existing extractor might be the answer. Perhaps if you explain in detail a bit about what the actual problem is when you attempt to feed a cartridge, supplemented with a couple of photos, we can better advise how to proceed.

waksupi
04-17-2020, 11:37 AM
There was another recent thread like this. Try different followers. Any .308 based case is a bugger to get feeding properly. Don't start whittling on the receiver.

country gent
04-17-2020, 01:11 PM
Having worked with controlled round feeds ( pre 64 model 70 s, various mausers, garands and M1A/M14 ). They can easily be single loaded simply by pushing the round down into the mag on the follower. This allows the round to slide up under the extractor as it is meant to.

Converting to push feed would require some machining to accomplish. The extractor collar not only holds the extractor but the bolt stop as well. The fixed ejector may need to be converted to a plunger style. and the barrel tennon may need some mods to work around. I have seen the sako and AR style extractor conversion done on rem 700s but that is staying push feed just a different extractor.

Texas by God
04-17-2020, 05:54 PM
M1 Garand and M14 are push feed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

M-Tecs
04-17-2020, 06:04 PM
Normally the bolt is not modified. The extractor face/body is modified to snap over the rim.

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/snapping-mauser-style-claw-extractor-over-the-rim.53976/

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?133896-Altering-a-Mauser-extractor

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/closing-bolt-on-round-mauser-extractor.706755/

Texas by God
04-17-2020, 09:21 PM
You can close the bolt on a loose round if you push in on the side of the extractor while closing the bolt handle. Two handed style. Not practical at all. On beveling the face of the extractor, the side may also have to be thinned a bit to let it flex outward in the right side lug raceway.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

405grain
04-17-2020, 11:45 PM
After a great deal of time, effort and expense you would be able to convert your Mauser from controlled feed to push feed. Then you would discover that it still would have difficulty feeding 7mm-08 because the feeding method isn't the problem. Cartridges based on the 308 case are both wider at the shoulder and shorter than the Mauser cartridges that the action was designed to feed. The conversion to cartridges like the 243 Win., 7mm-08, 308 Win., and 358 Win. require the shorter cartridge to rotate into alignment with the bore axis more quickly while feeding, and to ride up between the feed rails, which may be too narrow for their shoulder, in order to feed into the chamber and snap into position with the bolt face/extractor. Sometimes a Mauser action can feed these cartridges without any problem. Other times it will require a qualified gunsmith (who knows what they are doing) to modify the magazine, follower, or feed rails, to facilitate better feeding.

fourclicks
04-18-2020, 12:58 AM
Thanks for the replies, let me explain as best I can on what going on. I am feeding the rounds 1 at a time, as I place a round into the magazine well I am pushing down on the rear of the round while pushing the bolt forward. If I push the round too far into the well the cartridge and the extractor engages, the round sometimes develops a very steep upward angle. If I don't notice this and move the bolts forward the round jams in the receiver and since I am shooting cast, I don't have a neck crimp and this affects the OAL of my cartridges. It's nothing that is insurmountable but during a match, when the wind dies down there is a need to take advantage of current conditions and try to get as many rounds on the target as possible.

flounderman
04-18-2020, 10:09 AM
commercial mauser extractors will close on a round in the chamber. The bevel on the face of the extractor has to be changed on a military to make it work. It needs to be done right and would advise against doing it yourself, but it can be done. By commercial, I mean a commercial sporter, and not a replacement military. You can look at one and compare it to your extractor and see the difference. I have seen where the gap behind the extractor hook was too tight to allow the rim to slide up, but for what you are trying to do, the bevel on the face is all that needs altering.

Elroy
04-18-2020, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the replies, let me explain as best I can on what going on. I am feeding the rounds 1 at a time, as I place a round into the magazine well I am pushing down on the rear of the round while pushing the bolt forward. If I push the round too far into the well the cartridge and the extractor engages, the round sometimes develops a very steep upward angle. If I don't notice this and move the bolts forward the round jams in the receiver and since I am shooting cast, I don't have a neck crimp and this affects the OAL of my cartridges. It's nothing that is insurmountable but during a match, when the wind dies down there is a need to take advantage of current conditions and try to get as many rounds on the target as possible.

If you are actually loading a shell completely in the mag the bolt on your Mauser is supposed to shove it forward a little,and then all at once when the rear of the shell clears the mag your spring pressure pushes it up onto the bolt face,and extractor claw.If you are pushing down on the round as you state then you are not allowing proper operation of your bolt. I may have misread your post,but that's how it seems to me.
I am editing this post because I just noticed that it is now in 7mm08. I think it has more to do with overall length of your shell.405 Grain's post a few above this one mentioned the "feeding rails",which I think is your issue .Your shell is popping up correctly,but prematurely due to the lips of your mag being shaped for the longer 8x57. I figure this is common for rebarreled rifles,and there is probably an easy fix.

405grain
04-18-2020, 01:18 PM
From what you describe, you've got a feeding problem, not a bolt problem. You could convert to a push feed system and single load rounds into the chamber, but you'd still have a feeding problem. You could have the magazine well, follower & feeding rails modified for the 7mm-08 cartridge and keep the existing bolt. Either of these modifications would be expensive. You might try switching to an extractor that is more springy so that you can attempt to single load it, but if you do that you'll still be fumbling with the rifle trying to get it to load. Your not going to like my next suggestion: The easiest and best solution to your problem is get rid of the 7mm-08 barrel, and to rebarrel the rifle in 7x57 Mauser. Unfortunately the shoulder on the 7mm-08 is too large for the chamber to clean up with a 7x57 chambering reamer, so this would require a new barrel. The 7x57 conversion will correct ALL of your problems with no other modifications to your rifle.

john.k
04-18-2020, 09:51 PM
Some say the Mauser extractor will eventually break if pushed over rims...me too......however ,the local range has a couple of sported Israeli 308s for hire rifles ,and I think they must have fire many thousands of rounds every one springing the extractor,and they say it aint broke yet.......Incidentally ,good investment?...cutdown 308 ,cheap scope ,recoil pad from a old tire?,cheek piece held on with tape.....hires out at $20/hr,ammo at $40 a box ....near always being used by newbies ....Real good advert for a 223 .