PDA

View Full Version : Bore Cleaner

Mr Peabody
04-17-2020, 08:36 AM
Anybody using RB-17? Sure looks user friendly.

04-17-2020, 10:57 AM
Went to the website and read what it is supposed to do. Miracle juice. Can do everything but whiten your teeth. I'd love to hear any reliable review, myself.

Mr Peabody
04-17-2020, 11:24 AM
I asked a friend in Canada what he uses and RB-17 was his answer. He shoots smokeless and black. I ordered some from an outfit in Texas, we'll see how it works. I'd sure like to be able to take a breath when I'm cleaning a rifle.

04-17-2020, 04:00 PM
Interested to hear your results.

webfoot10
04-17-2020, 04:10 PM
Just use Ed's Red. Why try to reinvent it. Works well for all bore cleaning. For black
powder use water first then Ed's Red.

Mr Peabody
04-17-2020, 04:38 PM
I don't want to mix things up, just buy something that works.

smithnframe
04-17-2020, 04:41 PM
I still have 4 quarts of the old Hoppes in my stash.......so no!

AlaskaMike
04-19-2020, 01:10 AM
I wasn't really crazy about mixing up some concoction either, but I found that a 50/50 mix of kerosene and ATF, basically a simplified version of Ed's Red, worked great and better than a lot of other solvents. For oil I took the same approach and use a 50/50 mix of ATF and synthetic 5w40 oil.

With either one I don't have to measure anything, and I don't feel like I'm having to blend up some mystery concoction. I have no doubt true Ed's Red probably works a little better, but simple is also good.

Hawks Feather
04-19-2020, 09:06 AM
RB-17, now that is something that I have not heard in years. I used it many years ago and like the fact that it was not as harsh on hands, environment, etc. It worked pretty good, not perfect, but then came newer products. I currently like Slip 2000, but also have some other products as well.

1hole
04-20-2020, 09:48 PM
I don't want to mix things up, just buy something that works.

Then get some Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) and use it straight.

Mr Peabody
04-22-2020, 08:50 AM
So it came in the mail yesterday. I used it on my .270. It's pleasant to use, easy on your hands, even my wife didn't comment on the odor. It's slower than Montana Extreme but faster then Hoppe's. A 4oz bottle will last quite awhile.

gwpercle
05-01-2020, 04:31 PM
Just use Ed's Red. Why try to reinvent it. Works well for all bore cleaning. For black
I've always given the latest , greatest new miracle cleaner that comes along a good try but have always came back to good old Ed's Red Bore Cleaner and it's spin off Ed's Red CLP .
No Miracle products have been invented ... $20.00 still buys the 4 products that make up a gallon of Ed's Red and nothing gets the job done any better .
Gary

05-01-2020, 07:44 PM
Thanks, Mr. Peabody

richhodg66
05-01-2020, 09:25 PM
I've always given the latest , greatest new miracle cleaner that comes along a good try but have always came back to good old Ed's Red Bore Cleaner and it's spin off Ed's Red CLP .
No Miracle products have been invented ... $20.00 still buys the 4 products that make up a gallon of Ed's Red and nothing gets the job done any better .
Gary

This. When you look at what one of the little four ounce bottles of commercial cleaners cost and figure you can buy the stuff to make a gallon of Ed's Red, which works as well as anything and better than most. About the only thing it doesn't do better is copper fouling, but I don't shoot many jacketed bullets anyway.

Mr Peabody
05-02-2020, 09:03 AM
I haven't sworn off jacketed, my .270 is a mainstay for general season hunts. So I'd like one cleaner for everything. RB-17 comes in a front runner. I tried it in a couple muzzle loaders too. I used it after the usual water flush, it will clean them quickly. In fact you better be on top of things or rust gets started. Too bad it's not carried in the LGS so people can buy it more easily.

richhodg66
05-02-2020, 11:31 AM
Ed's Red works on muzzle loaders too after the water flush. I use it to clean after jacketed too, I know it won't cut copper, but unless you're shooting a .220 Swift or you have a bad barrel, copper fouling shouldn't be a problem for quite a while anyway.

I just can't believe what a tiny quantity of commercial stuff costs, they muut think it's molten gold or something. I can make enough Ed's Red to keep a container of it for soaking parts if need be too.

444ttd
05-02-2020, 01:36 PM
i use gunslicks foaming bore cleaner for copper fouling or for when i buy the gun. i use shooters choice (i have 10+ oz) to take the cast lead out. i have shot my 444 marlin and 30-40 krag, using cast boolits, about 3000X each and they're still waiting for the shooters choice. accuracy wise, the guns don't need it. i'll use ballistol (the outside of the gun) for everytime i shot it. then once or twice a year, i'll use g96 gun treatment(outside/bore).

Hossfly
05-02-2020, 01:43 PM
Ed’s Red the best just buy ingredients and mix, very simple and cheap to do. If you don’t like acetone leave it out.

richhodg66
05-02-2020, 01:58 PM
Ed’s Red the best just buy ingredients and mix, very simple and cheap to do. If you don’t like acetone leave it out.

I have always used the acetone, but I think you're right, probably unnecessary. I think he had that because if you shoot shotguns, it cuts plastic fouling from the wads. Next batch, I may leave it out.

toallmy
05-02-2020, 06:52 PM
If I remember correctly isn't ammonia added to Ex's red to remove copper fouling ?

Jniedbalski
05-02-2020, 11:20 PM
There is a version on this site of Ed’s red being mixed up for copper fouling using ammonia. Haven’t seen it for a few month’s now.

abunaitoo
05-05-2020, 08:57 PM
Ed's Red works great.
But I now use Wipe Out foam.
So much easier, and it will remove copper.

FLINTNFIRE
05-05-2020, 10:22 PM
I have some copper cleaners , but for most I use ed's red , mostly shooting cast . In the semi auto rifles with jacketed I use ed's red and only go to the copper removers like Sweets or old bottle of Hoppes when I feel accuracy has dropped off or to clean a new/used purchase .

ACC
05-05-2020, 10:27 PM

My uncle would make Ed's Red by the gallon and that was when I was eight. I still make it the same way and have no complaints. Cheap too.

ACC

ole_270
05-14-2020, 08:36 AM
Still using on a gallon of Ed's Red I made up years ago. Even on my heaviest copper foulers, they get Ed's Red first to get out most of the carbon before I attack the copper. I always hit them with Ed's Red after the copper removers before they go back in the safe.

derek45
05-14-2020, 09:30 AM
BROWNELLS sells ED’S RED but I haven’t tried it

I still use hoppes 9 for rifle/copper and ballistol for general cleaning

gypsyman
05-29-2020, 09:57 PM
Considering the buffalo hunters use to pee down their barrels to clean them, just about any kind mild solvent or acid will do the job. I spray a little AeroKroil down the barrel before I even leave the range. I call it my pre-clean, Barrel is still warm, so anything in the barrel hasn't cooled off. By the time I get home, everything in the barrel has been getting loosened up by the Kroil. Not sure, but maybe PD Blaster would do the same. Just about any solvent will get the rest out.