PDA

View Full Version : Wildey,Automag and Desert Eagle

wonderwolf
11-22-2008, 11:02 PM
Understanding the Desert eagle shoots the .44 Mag and the other 2 shoot the 44 AMP. What are the pros and cons of these 3...Understanding the DE can't shoot cast boolits. I'm just kinda curious on the wildey and the Automag as I have a good friend who owns A DE that we've shot extensively...

MtGun44
11-23-2008, 01:38 AM
I had an Automag in .44AMP years ago, very accurate. I could shoot 4" groups
at 100 yds most days with the stock open sights - my eyes were about 26 yrs old
in those days! Huge handful, but I liked it. Mine was reliable, too.

Bill

leadeye
11-23-2008, 12:05 PM
I can't comment on the Wildey other than to say like the old Automag the grips are big. I have two Automags that I shot back in the early 80s that like me are retired now. Like Bill said, they are nail drivers for accuracy but are so expensive now that I am scared to shoot them. I bought one of the first Desert Eagles when they came out in .357 and really loved it. I could reload it just about any way I wanted and it performed, still have it and still shoot it, and wish it would take cast. I bought one of the first 44s when they arrived and was dissapointed with the functioning and so sold it after a few years, but they may have improved over time. The 357 shot both regular .358 bulllets and .355 surplus bullets. The 9mm on top of a compressed load of Blue Dot would go through 1/2" C channel at 25 yards.

scb
11-23-2008, 12:18 PM
I had an El Monte built 44AMP back in the mid 70's Accuracy was very good. I could not how ever get it to function. After a couple years of frustration and sending it to several folks that said they could fix if, I sold it. I personally think that it's the best looking of the 3, but looks don't matter if it don't work. I've never fired a Wildey, but have more than a couple DE's and I've always found them very reliable. The Wildey maybe a good gun but with the company's past financial problems (as I understand it) I'd have to think long and hard about getting one.

wonderwolf
11-26-2008, 02:09 AM
I'm thinking a desert eagle in .44 magnum would be a nice addition to the collection if I can swing it before the year ends. In comparing ballistics between the two cartridges in the long and realistic run the .44 rem mag DE would be a lot better choice than the other two. Components being more readily available and if I get a newer mod DE I can "upscale" to 50AE if I feel the need.

Kuato
11-26-2008, 02:22 AM
I have a DE in 50. I just love the darn thing. I reload using Reinier 335gr "plated" bullets & havent had an issue yet. The bullets are not that expensive, they load easy & hit where I want em to, everytime. I've handled the Wildey. Didn't care much for it. Seemed too blocky for me. They do shoot good though.

I settled on the DE cuz parts & accessories are plentyful, & I couldn't pass up the deal I was given. Can't comment on the AMT. Seem if you want one, you're gonna have to shell out enough $$$ to buy 2 DE base model pistols. That coupled with the fact that the AMT Automag has a reputation for jamming. Got around 500 rounds through the 50 & never had a problem.

just my $0.02..

MakeMineA10mm
11-28-2008, 02:35 AM
Another factor that would push me towards the DE is that 44AMP brass has only been available again recently thanks to Star-Line (and who knows how long that situation will remain??). For about 35 years, we had to cut-down 308 Win brass, trim it, and ream it to depth. I found that annealing the case gave us several more reloads out of it before it split, but with the AutoMag only functioning with near-max loads, making brass was a constant chore... Thankfully, I was a teen-ager and thought it was FUN!!! ( :o ) My friend who had the AutoMag and I got disconnected. I wonder what happened to that thing???

I believe the current incarnation of the Wildey is available in 44AMP, but it's caliber that is the most interesting is the 475 Wildey. Made by cutting down 284 Win. brass (IIRC) and loading with 475" boolits. Just something mild to shoot on Sunday afternoons.....

Mohillbilly
11-30-2008, 04:59 PM
I have a.475,and 44AMP barrels for my Wildey, and would say hold off on that one.It shoots good after fool'n around with settings/loads, and the double action sucks.When it was new it was long'n hard.Now its long and loose and I don't know if it strikes hard enough to get the job done......I have a 44AMP,.357AMP,.45 Win.mag.,and 41 JMP barrels for my solid bolt Auto Mag ,and I'd say if you got money to burn ok, other wise hold off on that one too.The other guys are right on that one too(full power and full metal patched).I don't have a DE but have shot and played with a few they are ok(full power and full metal patched)........I do like my L.A.R. Grizzly.(think 45 auto on steroids) They are out of production now and gett'n pricey.still I like the Mark I and the Mark V. I have convertions for both. the Mark I came in .45 Win.mag(balistic .44 mag double) and I have convertions for 10mm(a puppy) and a propriatary (nearly identical to automag) .357/45win.griz. mag.(a puppy also).The Mark V came in .50AE like the D.E. and I "found" a very rare convertion in .44 Rem.mag .All the grizzlys shoot well and fit my hand, and carry well....Did I mention I shoot cast in them, at about 3/4 power loadings.......Can you say "Power Plink'n" Also a lot of regular 45 auto parts can/will fit the Mark I

Kuato
11-30-2008, 08:16 PM
Always liked the LARs. Until I saw one that had the hammer ride the slide! Sounded like a 20MM cannon! Boo boo boo booom! The shooter shat himself, & put the gun away. Saw him a month after that & he told me he had the gun repaired & sold it. I seen that in 1911s too but I can handle a 45acp slamming better than 45 win mag.

After all that the LARs fell out of favor with me..

Mohillbilly
12-07-2008, 06:30 PM
Kuato I've heard of 1911s doing that if hammer/sear was wornout, or if someone fooled with it that didn't what they were doing.With millions of that type of pistols out there I suppose that will happen. Yes a grizzly emptying it's self would have done just the oppsite to me.My butt would have been too tight for a greased needle. D.E.s are great guns and shoot good too.I like my L.A.R.s and keep them in shape,and they are less bulky,and have very good triggers right out of the box.Better than D.E.s used to be.