PDA

View Full Version : Different Lyman 450 lubesizer

abunaitoo
04-16-2020, 11:13 PM
Rebuilding a Lyman 450 lubesizer.
I already have one, but this one has a different handle.
The one I use has a curved handle, this one has a straight handle.
Body is a little different to.
Both marked 450
I'm thinking one is an older model.
One with the straight handle looks stronger.
So...........Which is older, and which is better??????

Valley-Shooter
04-16-2020, 11:44 PM
The one with the curved red handle is the old one. Lyman sells an update kit to upgrade it.
I have and used both styles.

EDG
04-17-2020, 05:51 AM
The old model with the curved sheet metal handle works ok and the ram is a much better fit in the casting bore.

The newer model with the straight handle and solid linkage has a very sloppy fit between the ram and the casting. Why the ram is sloppy I have no idea but it is sloppy.

BTW I have 2 of the grey models with the bent sheet metal handle and 2 of the orange ones with the straight handle and sloppy rams.

NoZombies
04-17-2020, 10:14 AM
I've had a number of both, and even "upgraded" one of the older models to the newer ram and handle.

Then I switched it back. I prefer the older style handle, as has been said, the ram is a better fit. I've never had an issue with the strength of either.

gwpercle
04-19-2020, 11:43 AM
I bought a older , curved red handle , Lyman 450 about a week after casting my first boolits . Almost
near 50 years ago...nothing has broken , I like it but when I saw up grade kit available I bought one...it has a ball handle and slightly different linkage ... you know how just about the time you need a part...they are all gone .
Decided to save new upgrade parts until I need them. The straight ball handle does look stronger to me also but I can't prove it . I try not to put a lot of heavy forces on my curved red handle unit ... I want it to last and the handle and linkage are the weak points .
I would buy the red handled one if it's in good shape and buy a conversion kit to keep in the wings .

NoZombie... I also prefer the older style red handle , Thanks for the Heads Up , I wont be in any hurry to change it over to the upgrade solid ball upgrade unit , since you've tried it both ways ...I'll just take your advice and leave well enough alone .
Gary

17nut
04-19-2020, 11:55 AM
I have a 450 with curved linkage and black handle. I will upgrade if anyone ships me (Denmark) a new handle so they can downgrade. Shoot me a PM if interested.

abunaitoo
04-19-2020, 06:53 PM
Thanks guys