PDA

View Full Version : Feeding problem

Battis
04-16-2020, 05:50 PM
Not mine. It's the Mauser .32 ACP that used to smell bad but now smells great.
I load for three .32ACPs and the Mauser is the only one with a problem. I use cast bullets (71+ grs), and I even sized the bullets down for the Mauser (.309". The other two take .311"). I tried two different powders - Unique and Tightgroup. I tried moderate and higher loads, with an OAL change/adjustment. The 1st round chambers perfectly, but the 2nd, sometimes 3rd round hangs up. Once they chamber they shoot and eject fine.
So, I'm thinking mag spring or the mag itself. The recoil spring is fine.
Is there a #1 reason for rounds not to quite make it into the chamber?

Greg S
04-16-2020, 06:10 PM
Do a plunk test first. Next see if you can take a pick of the stopage. Is it hanginger up on feed ramp, riding up the breech face and catching under the extractor or is it just slightly out of battery.

Battis
04-16-2020, 06:39 PM
The nose of the bullet is catching just above the chamber. If I push down on the bullet, it will enter the chamber.

Tokarev
04-16-2020, 06:52 PM
Did you try factory RN ammo in them? This is the first thing that you want to try before you spend more $$ on repairs.
If the factory ammo does not feed either, then it is probably the magazine problem with the lips, follower, or spring. Could you try to swap mags and compare them visually?

Battis
04-16-2020, 07:17 PM
Trying factory ammo makes sense. I also might look for another mag, just to have it.

wow, mags are pricey.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Early-Type-1-Mauser-Pocket-pistol-magazine-mod-1910-1914-1934-capacity-8-rounds/223971565160?hash=item3425bede68:g:5FIAAOSwWNZePjt u

Outpost75
04-16-2020, 07:35 PM
Also examine the chamber entrance of the barrel from 10:00 to 2:00. If there is a sharp edge bulllet noses may snag instead of bouncing off the barrel hood into the chamber opening. If this is the case, break the sharp edge slightly with a 3/8" ball chamfer tool. This is a 1935 Beretta barrel which feeds everything now.

Other things to check are the shape of the magazine lips. Older WW1-era magazine lips were tapered from back to front. They often spring open with hard use so they no longer fit the case body and so will release rounds too early in the feed cycle. Same problem occurs with GI M1911 .45 mags and they are fixed by heating, reshaping by peening to conform to a die inserted into the magazine box, then quenching in oil.

WW2-era Mauser, Beretta and Walther mag lips shaped similarly, the lips being straight, conforming tightly to the case wall and the lips are a bit shorter, having a stepped contour which retains rounds positively against the pressure of a correct, stiff magazine spring and when released them the rounds rise up horizontally to engage under the extractor, instead of at an oblique angle.

Battis
04-16-2020, 07:39 PM
I'll check those out. Thanks.
Numrich has a repro mag for $45.00. Tempting.

Battis
04-17-2020, 12:30 AM
I was able to recreate the problem with a dummy round. I think the mag isn't holding the cartridge in place long enough. The 1st round always chambers - it's the next that hangs up.

Petrol & Powder
04-17-2020, 07:27 AM
I agree that's an issue caused by the magazine. I think Outpost75 has the correct solution.

Battis
04-17-2020, 07:41 AM
they are fixed by heating, reshaping by peening to conform to a die inserted into the magazine box, then quenching in oil.
What would you use for the forming die?

Now that the coffee has kicked in, it dawned on me that the mag is hard to install in the mag well. It hangs up, catches, etc, which means that the lips have to be closed slightly.

Battis
04-21-2020, 02:01 PM
I looked at the mag under a big magnifier and sure enough, the lips that hold the round in place until it's time to let it go were bent and out of shape. I tweaked them with a pair of pliers until dummy rounds loaded as they should. I also bought a repro mag on Gunbroker (Triple K mags), loaded up a bunch of rounds and went to the range. The gun works perfectly with both mags.

Petrol & Powder
04-21-2020, 06:11 PM
I looked at the mag under a big magnifier and sure enough, the lips that hold the round in place until it's time to let it go were bent and out of shape. I tweaked them with a pair of pliers until dummy rounds loaded as they should. I also bought a repro mag on Gunbroker (Triple K mags), loaded up a bunch of rounds and went to the range. The gun works perfectly with both mags.

"I love it when a plan comes together ", John "Hannibal" Smith, A-Team Leader