PDA

View Full Version : One Simple Question on AR15/16 Buffer Springs

ReloaderEd
04-16-2020, 05:19 PM
Can a standard AR15/16 rifle buffer spring be cut down to 38 coils to produce a reduced power spring? Please I don't need questions other than a answer to this question. I appreciate your time. ReloaderEd:hijack:

Texas by God
04-16-2020, 05:53 PM
I have no idea but that is a darn good question. I'm waiting for the answer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

ReloaderEd
04-16-2020, 07:01 PM
me too.

ReloaderEd
04-16-2020, 07:47 PM
Ed I have cut back the recoil spring to use with reduced loads. The buffer I used had a Teflon recoil pad built in I cut it back till it slowed but still reliably fed rounds and locked bolt. That is what you are watching the lock up of bolt on closing.
I got this reply from a very knowledgeable Gunsmith.

rancher1913
04-16-2020, 08:41 PM
yes you can, as your gunsmith friend has said, but is it a good idea for long term is the better question. if you look at a factory spring it has ends that become flat and give an even bearing surface as apposed to a cut spring that will gouge into either the base or the buffer. somewhere along the way I picked up a spring that is about 38 coils of a rifle spring and has the factory ends on it. there is alot to understand about ar buffers and springs and I have just started playing with them. you can change buffer weights fairly easy, and use adjustable gas blocks, to get an infinite number of ways to tune an ar.

M-Tecs
04-16-2020, 09:14 PM
Normally I am in the no camp on shortening springs, however, in the case of shortening a rifle length to a carbine in an AR the only real issue rancher1913 stated above. https://gundigest.com/more/how-to/gunsmithing/gunsmithing-the-ar-3-tips-for-buffers-recoil-springs

The springs for the rifle and the carbine are the same diameter, and made of the same steel alloy. The rifle springs have 41 to 43 coils, and the carbine springs have 37 to 39 coils. The brand-new length of the springs is approximately 12.75″ for the rifle and 10.5″ for the carbine springs. If you’ve bought a used rifle or carbine, and find that a spring has been shortened by cutting off coils, it should be replaced. (Any rifle that has a shortened spring in it also needs a complete inspection, as the spring was probably not cut without “reason.” You’ll need to find what the problem was that led a previous owner/armorer/gunsmith/hack to cut the spring.)

If what you are asking is can you use a carbine length spring in a rifle length buffer system the experts state no.

https://www.wingtactical.com/buyers-guide-for-buffers-buffer-springs/

ReloaderEd
04-16-2020, 09:29 PM
I appreciate all impute/replies. Obviously if I add a cut nylon washer to the cut end of the spring I'm good to go. Thank you

nun2kute
04-16-2020, 09:31 PM
"If what you are asking is can you use a carbine length spring in a rifle length buffer the experts state no."

I did. So when it didn't perform properly I just jacket it up in the tube with quarters until I acquired proper spring. Not saying this is proper behavior, just that it can be done.

rancher1913
04-16-2020, 09:48 PM
the quarter trick is interesting, would make tuning easier than having to keep cutting or even in a pinch to get a gun working.

Dapaki
04-17-2020, 12:28 PM
I am by no means a gunsmith so this is just being put out there as information only.

My first AR was a carbine, .223, it ran well, cycled perfectly and was acceptably accurate. I had the chance to get a good 24" barrel and changed it to a full rifle setup but even after changing to a full length stock, spring and buffer, gas tube etc, the bolt refused to lock back after the last shot.

Luckily, I live close to several gunsmiths in the middle of white tail country and a trip to a few to see what was going on with the short cycling brought me to Cripplecreek.

He was very quiet, not sure he heard me when he reached out and I handed him my AR. He looked it over, popped off the upper, pulled out the buffer, drove out the roll pin, shook out the weights, put it back together, grabbed a few rounds of ball ammo, walked out the back door to the range (I couldn't follow, the door was behind the counter). I heard three shots and he walked back in and added the weights back in but then pulled the buffer spring out.

He looked up over his cheaters and asked, "Mind if I cut her?". Of course I had NO idea what he was up to so I acquiesced and he trimmed a coil off with a small cutoff and smoothed up the coil end. Re-assembled it and grabbed more ammo, left, shot and came back in.

He broke it down one more time, opened the register and grabbed 3 quarters (I am guessing this is a good analog for a spacer?) and dropped them in the buffer tube and repeated the shots.

He replaced them with a nylon spacer, reassembled it and handed me the gun. Not a word was said in all that time.

I asked what do I owed him and he shrugged and said, "20?".

Gun still runs, feels a little soft but still cycles and dropps brass about 4 feet to the 4:00 position.

FWIW

ReloaderEd
04-17-2020, 03:08 PM
That's pretty intelligent, easy and smart. Thank you nontokute

jonp
04-17-2020, 03:10 PM
"If what you are asking is can you use a carbine length spring in a rifle length buffer the experts state no."

I did. So when it didn't perform properly I just jacket it up in the tube with quarters until I acquired proper spring. Not saying this is proper behavior, just that it can be done.

Thats interesting and innovative. People never cease to amaze me

Drm50
04-17-2020, 03:34 PM
We use to put quarters in M60 to up the RPMs.

Dapaki
04-17-2020, 03:36 PM
We use to put quarters in M60 to up the RPMs.

So, this IS a common thing? Outstanding!

Thin Man
04-18-2020, 04:36 PM
Just an observation here - if I were to cut an AR recoil spring I would put the cut end into the receiver extension first (toward the buttplate) and the solid, closed end toward the buffer. By doing this one could eliminate the chance of gouging the buffer or extension as the rifle cycled when fired. Other opinions welcomed.

Dapaki
04-18-2020, 06:29 PM
On my AR, the cut end is on the buffer and the 'flat' end is against the butplate. I just popped it out to check and I see no scratching or gouging so that may have been a hypothetical hypothesis rather than an experience?