PDA

View Full Version : First CB Deer

txbirdman
11-22-2008, 10:15 PM
I shot my first deer with a cast boolit this AM. I was using a 311041 ahead of 32 gr. of H4895 from my Savage 110 '06 and it did the job on a medium sized cull buck very nicely. It was a double lung shot at about 50 yards and he ran about 75 yds before piling up. I was a little hesitant to take a deer with cast fearing I wouldn't make a quick humane kill but this buck acted much like a deer shot with a 30/30 jacketed bullet. I think I'm a convert now.

6pt-sika
11-22-2008, 11:35 PM
Congrats !

I started using cast bullets in hunting rifles about 7 years ago and try and get at least one each year with a cast bullet before pulling out the jacketed bullet rifles !

txbirdman
11-23-2008, 12:28 AM
I've killed many deer over the years but there was a sort of satisfaction about doing it with a bullet I manufactured.

Thanks,
Richard

big boar
11-23-2008, 01:13 AM
I agree with txbirdman, I've taken them with cast in 35 Whelan, and 450 Marlin and it really is something special to use something you've made and loaded yourself. Read as much as you can on alloy hardness, I've used hard and soft but I think the softer the better, for deer anyway.

waksupi
11-23-2008, 12:13 PM
Txbirdman, I am just the opposite. I considered hunting with my 6mm and jacketed bullets, but don't trust them to kill as well as cast!

txbirdman
11-23-2008, 05:43 PM
I was really more concerned with the alloy (water dropped wheel weights) than anything else. I was afraid it was too hard and would merely punch a hole without doing a lot of damage. It did punch a couple of holes about the size of a nickle going in and a quarter going out but there was plenty of damage inside the chest cavity. I think I do need to soften the alloy though. BTW thanks to Larry Gibson for the load info. It's not the most accurate load I have for the '06 but it's plenty accurate for the distances I shoot.

missionary5155
11-23-2008, 07:16 PM
Congradulations ! I will concure with the SATISFACTION of making it all by yourself and recieving the results.

Fat-beeman
12-04-2008, 09:14 PM
I have shooting cast for yrs never let me down, I try to keep under 1800 range and used in many cal. rifles. most gas checks. my last deer was 200gr. round nose in 35 cal.lever gun 75plus yards thru brush.
Don:castmine:

OBXPilgrim
12-05-2008, 10:03 PM
Good job, txbirdman.

Sorry to jump on this so late, but my PC bit the dust the Tuesday before Thanksgiving & I'm just now catching up.

Just so happens I shot a 6 pt buck the day after Thanksgiving. It would actually have made a better 4 pt, but it's got 2 small eyeguards that are not quite an inch long, oh well. It was my 2nd deer with cast boolits, but my first with my own cast slug.

It was a 311041 from a 30-06 using 30 gr of H4895 from my H&R Handi Rifle. It shoot great from my gun - I stole the load from someone here that said it worked good for them - "Ben" if I recall correctly.

Shot was 40 yards & was a double lung & clipped the top of the heart. The entrance was between ribs & was about 1/2" in dia. The exit was between ribs as well & about 3/4" in dia. Deer took off like a jet for 40 yards & piled up.

Been eating tenderloin at work all week long.

I like that 311041 slug.

JDL
12-07-2008, 04:59 PM
Congrats, very close to my load for my '06.
JDL

Blammer
12-07-2008, 11:30 PM
Good deal!

Good shooting!

Good eats!

6pt-sika
12-08-2008, 01:53 PM
Txbirdman, I am just the opposite. I considered hunting with my 6mm and jacketed bullets, but don't trust them to kill as well as cast!

First deer I ever killed was shot with a 243 WIN shooting a 100 grain Core Lokt factory load ! It was boom flop all the way !

Since then I've gravitated to heavier cartridges and calibers . However I have quite a few friends that have used the 243 WIN exclusively as their deer hunting caliber of choice and most of these men take 4 or 5 whitetails each year !

Leadforbrains
12-08-2008, 08:10 PM
First deer I ever killed was shot with a 243 WIN shooting a 100 grain Core Lokt factory load ! It was boom flop all the way !

Since then I've gravitated to heavier cartridges and calibers . However I have quite a few friends that have used the 243 WIN exclusively as their deer hunting caliber of choice and most of these men take 4 or 5 whitetails each year !

Killed alot of deer with a 6MM. I passed it on to my son who has put it to good use. I do like shooting deer with cast boolits also. I got my first Cast boolit deer this year and I am hooked as well. I think I have put up my scoped rifles and jacketed condoms for good.:castmine:
Congrats on the deer TXbirdman!:drinks:

6pt-sika
12-08-2008, 09:43 PM
I think I have put up my scoped rifles and jacketed condoms for good.:castmine:

I like shooting them with my old Marlin's and cast bullets ! Whether they have open sights , peep sights or some type of old Weaver scope .

But I still like taking out a 264 WIN MAG or Short Ultra Mag with a big old glass on top ! To say nothing of the newer Marlin's with the rubber tipped Hornady bullets !

Case in point ! I'm getting quite a bit "anxiouse" to say the least to get my hands on one of the new Marlin's in 338 Marlin Express :drinks: