PDA

View Full Version : Good day with cast

randyrat
11-22-2008, 10:07 PM
I had a good day with my 30-30 and 180 gr lead.. Shot a doe at about 10 am and taught a fellow how to field dress his deer. The guy came over while i was dressing mine out and asked if i would help him with his. He said; Honestly i've never done that before. I was a little shocked at first, but then i didn't mind. He handle his weapon properly and from the looks of his shot distant he could shoot so it was a good thing. He helped me drag my deer out. Maybe this young fellow will remember how to field dress a deer and become a avid hunter..... BTW i shot mine once in the head just above the eye 50 yds.I'm not bragging, i'm just real comfortable with my load, boolits and rifle.
By noon i had the deer skinned and hanging in the garage, thats bragging.

pjh421
11-22-2008, 10:16 PM
Head shot...that's my kind of hunting!

Paul

Chunky Monkey
11-22-2008, 10:22 PM
Good shootin Randy! :drinks: What do you do with yours . . . bologna, jerky, steaks?

Our Rifle season starts the Monday after Thanksgiving. Me and the boy are ready for some bologna and jerky!

randyrat
11-23-2008, 06:59 AM
I'll cut this young tender doe into all steaks. I may make jerkey out of the front shoulders, clean them up for some grinding meat or tie them together for a roast. This deer i'll save for the grill, charcol only.
Now this was shot with the Lee 309-170F gc out of the 30-30, my next project is to develope a load using this bullet in my 03A3 (not an original). That will be for next year. I pulled this gun out of the grave yard and revived it. Story for later because it's time to go back out there this morning and go for a buck.

copdills
11-23-2008, 07:27 AM
Great shot and everyone needs a little help starting out just ask me , Thanks for helping that young man, I think he will remenber and I hope he will help someone else in the future

44man
11-23-2008, 10:01 AM
OH NO! :-? Don't make jerky out of the shoulders. That is the second best meat on a deer after the loins. Makes the best roasts and BBQ.
Let me see if I can get a recipe here.

luv44mag
11-23-2008, 10:30 PM
I would have loved someone showing me the ropes the first time...... Extra points to you for being a teacher....... and enjoy!

randyrat
11-23-2008, 11:21 PM
44man............Thanks for the recipe. it's that time of year to cook something in the oven from the woods.
This is my 34th year straight deer hunting. Got lucky most years and skunked a few, but enjoyed every one of them. There is nothing like shooting your own cast boolit and bagging some meat.
I also remembered to give thanks

randyrat
11-29-2008, 05:34 PM
Another good day in the woods this morning. Shot a large bodied fork buck just at the base of the skull, one shot, in one side and out the other. He didn't know what hit him. That takes the pressure off me and i got bragging rights for meat in the freezer at least. Thats 2 for the cast C309-170 F...... Now that bullet must have been hard, because in went right through the base of the skull shaddered the spine and part of the skull, one hole in and one hole out. I wonder how it would have turned out with a side of the body shot. I may do some experimenting with softer bullets. It was the stand by load 26.5 grs of IMR 30-31 under a total weight of 180 gr boollit.

hydraulic
11-29-2008, 11:01 PM
I didn't get a deer license this year; first time in 25 yrs. We have so many deer in this part of Nebraska they are really a problem. I haven't had a garden in two years; the deer ate everything as soon as it was up. We have had two deaths from deer/motorcycle accidents this year in a county of 9000 people. The body shops do most of their business from deer collisions. A farmer friend hasn't taken a crop off a creekside alfalfa field in three years. The game department gave him permission to shoot 20 deer on his place before the season starts. We are trying to get all hunters to shoot a doe instead of a forkhorn so the bucks will get three or four years old. Out of county hunters bring in a lot of money to the motels, restraunts, & beer joints so we'd like to see more big bucks and fewer does. I used to shoot a small buck every year, but I'm programed not to shoot does(old-timer who can remember when there were NO deer) and can't bring myself to do it.

fatnhappy
11-30-2008, 12:29 AM
Good for you showing a young man the ropes. Too many give training younger hunters short shrift. I believe more youngsters would go hunting if they felt comfortable with knowing there was someone to mentor them along the way.