PDA

View Full Version : BP cannons

cheese1566
04-16-2020, 08:57 AM
I’ve wanting to build my own firing cannon for years since I first bought my lathe.
Who has built their own and what did you use for plans and barrel materials?

I have been cruising Google quite a bit and see a couple internet sellers still making kits, but the barrels are finished. One nice video series on YouTube of a brass cannon being turned in detail, but no other specifics.

I am thinking of starting with a small BB caliber build (mini) and then looking into one to shoot a 00 buck pellet or a big daddy 50 cal. Nothing larger than that.

I do have the book “Scale Model Cannons” coming, don’t think it will have build specifics.

Realistically, this would be for the enjoyment of the build and display. But sure would be nice to pop off some thunder and maybe an occasional lead ball.

Skipper
04-16-2020, 09:04 AM
Good info here:
https://www.cwartillery.com/marty/marty.html
https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/88-blackpowder-mortar-cannon-sponsored-seacoast-artillery/69739-safe-loads-construction-new-cannon-builders-design-standards.html

CastingFool
04-16-2020, 12:54 PM
I made one, about 40 yrs ago. Gave it to a friend, who eventually gave it to another friend. First time firing it, I used about 12" of cannon fuse, but once I gained some experience, I only used 3" of fuse. gave me plenty of time to get away. I didn't have any plans, just made it as I thought a cannon should look like.

Dan Cash
04-16-2020, 01:11 PM
Google up the link for Buck Stix. That guy built more than one cannon and has detailed drawings/instructions along with a hilarious story concerning the use of his canon.

Drm50
04-16-2020, 01:16 PM
I use to turn canons out of solid axels that were about 2.5 to 2.75” dia. I worked for a mining company, when miners were on strike I killed time making stuff in the shop. I just free styled them turning ball on back and rings around muzzle and chamber area. They would be 15-20” long. The only thing they had in common was the bore. I made they to fire the bearings out of Joy miner head for canon balls. At the time my dad was a supervisor at power house and he would check cannons with magnaflux outfit they used on boiler tubes. Takes a stout carriage for these little cannons. They make sprinters out of mounts made from common framing lumber. You want to be sure you have a good piece of metal and proof it well, from a distance. If you don’t you may have made a fancy pipe bomb.

jdfoxinc
04-16-2020, 02:05 PM
You could also buy solid silica bronze round. I made a hand gonne from 3" diameter in 75 cal.

Bad Ass Wallace
04-16-2020, 05:46 PM
I planned my 40mm from 4140 thick walled tube (40ID / 80O/OD) with more 4140 (80ID /120OD) to reinforce the breech. Two carriages one navel pattern and one field pattern are yet to be built. I simply copied off a friends 50mm.

For the technical minded it will use a 16,800gn round ball with 1,790gn of black cannon powder.

one-eyed fat man
04-17-2020, 02:59 PM
Christmas cannon, 57mm, or the same size as a pool ball. Max charge, two ounces of 1F Goex. I get to use the gunner's quadrant Dan gave me years ago.

Winger Ed.
04-17-2020, 03:24 PM
Not exactly a lathe project, but a good conversation piece.:bigsmyl2:

The barrel is made from a welding gas 300cuft. 'K' cylinder, with a 6" x 6" round stock breach plug.

4 oz. of 'F' will send a bowling ball about 1,000 yards.

one-eyed fat man
04-17-2020, 03:26 PM
Bowling balls make such a cool whistling sound when you launch them!!

mazo kid
04-27-2020, 10:55 AM
Several years ago, I had 2 friends who made bowling ball mortars. They used an empty shotgun shell as a powder measure; that charge would drive the ball nearly out of sight when fired at a steep angle. The first time I saw the mortars, I noticed they had an eyebolt tapped into them with a length of brightly colored ribbon tied on. When I asked if that was to follow the balls into the air, I was told that it was to find the ball after it had buried itself into the ground upon landing!

garbler
04-27-2020, 10:48 PM
These are my last three one silicon bronze naval, a custom SS modern design and a SS mortar. Years ago I had a cousin in Nevada that was hooked up with a group who shot long range BP target cannons. Long distance shooting at steel drums with weighted soup or tin cans. I was in the marine business and would buy or grab scrap propeller shafting with steel alloy or bronze and they did all the machine work. The most accurate gun they had was a long small bore gun about 36” that was bored to shoot hydraulic lifters. Auto scrap yards are paved with old lifters and tappets so no shortage of ammo. You have no idea how well they shoot.

Rick