PDA

View Full Version : Ever have your Thumbler Lid Vibrate lose and spill media all over

afish4570
04-16-2020, 01:16 AM
My trusty old Dillon 2000 is a large machine and very worn, handling 1000 MT 9mm cases at a time. I replaced the washers which Dillon sent no charge. Thank you Dillon. To make sure it doesn't loosen I now place a piece of duct tape at 12 oclock and 6 oclock. Cheap insurance and may need replacing after 3 or 4 times use. Simple common sense fix. afish4570

M-Tecs
04-16-2020, 01:24 AM
I never fill mine to the point I can't run it without the lid and am running 1,000 to 1,100 cases when I do .223

corbinace
04-16-2020, 02:13 AM
I thought we were going to talk about the mess that pins and water makes when the tumbler canister lid comes off.
I guess I do not have to admit to having that happen to me.

Hickory
04-16-2020, 02:18 AM
I only fill my tumbler 1/2 full of medium and the amount of brass brings the level up to 3/4's full.
Put an o-ring under your hold down nut to keep it from unscrewing.

slam45
04-16-2020, 07:42 AM
sure. it happens anytime you don't tighten the nut on top...

Bayou52
04-16-2020, 09:31 AM
Nope, never happened...

lightman
04-16-2020, 10:15 AM
Thats one mistake that I have not made yet! Does it count that I have dumped powder into my ChargeMaster with the unloading gate open? Twice!!!

1hole
04-16-2020, 10:18 AM
I bought my Lyman 1200 about '76 (IIRC) and quickly learned to keep that hold down nut tight enough to limit the otherwise loud lid rattle. Then I decided I wanted to visually monitor the progress and just left the lid off. Then I bought a square of 1/4" Plexiglass large enough to trim and made a clear lid that would hold the dust down. Never occured to me to add enough media that the bowl would overflow when running.

Pressman
04-17-2020, 07:42 AM
Nope, never done that. However I can tell you what happened when I put oil and popcorn in a countertop popper, plugged it in and went in the living room. 10 minuets later I went to get my popcorn and noticed the lid setting on the counter where I left it and popcorn and oil covering every visible surface in the kitchen.
I spent a week cleaning up that mess.

trebor44
04-17-2020, 08:07 AM
Local hardware store or Home Depot, rubber with brass nut. Or o-ring as suggested. Another option, rubber washer to dampen the vibration. Check the drawers at the hardware nuts, bolts etc section. Or cut up some old/new neoprene material and make your own 'damping' material.

Elroy
04-17-2020, 08:44 AM
The first time I used mine the long stud that the wing nut threads onto came loose down in the bowl,but I think it was my fault.I tightened in in really good,and it has not happened again.The lid on mine is kinda springy and I tighten the wing nut down just enough to compress the center of the lid a hair.

mdi
04-17-2020, 12:29 PM
M-tecs; I never fill mine to the point I can't run it without the lid and am running 1,000 to 1,100 cases when I do .223. I thought the same when I read the thread title. Of course I'm not thinking about my rotary, but I have run my Lyman wobbler without the top. I also use one of these that won't vibrate loose; https://www.hansonrivet.com/threaded-inserts-2/rubber-nut-threaded-inserts/ Installed "backwards" with rubber portion against the lid...

trebor44
04-17-2020, 01:58 PM
. I also use one of these that won't vibrate loose; https://www.hansonrivet.com/threaded-inserts-2/rubber-nut-threaded-inserts/ Installed "backwards" with rubber portion against the lid...

Never knew they were called 'well nuts' but they do work well!

Walter Laich
04-17-2020, 03:34 PM
I use the STM tumbler and found that I was getting leaks when I first started. I wasn't getting plastic nuts tight enough.

being old and short of hand strength I made an 'extender' that fits over the plastic nuts and has a larger diameter and sits higher than the OEM ones. Now I have enough leverage to keep them from leaking.

once I cut the shape I put an OEM on it and traced around it. Used short pieces of dowel rod on larger shape to 'capture' nut in it's cut outs.

Winger Ed.
04-17-2020, 03:44 PM
I don't use my Lyman turbo with the lid.

I let it run overnight in the garage. Sure, there's a dust ring around it, but it sweeps right up.

Elroy
04-17-2020, 03:53 PM
I also thought you were talking about a vibratory type.