PDA

View Full Version : Need a manual for an adjustable choke for Lyman Cutts Compensator.

15meter
04-15-2020, 03:39 PM
Just what the title says, I'm looking for a manual for my adjustable choke that is on my Model 12. Bought it used ~10 years ago, with the house arrest I figured I clean and re-lube it according to the book.

No book.

Searched the innerweb, no luck, went through all 300+ manuals Lyman has on their website, no luck. Closest I found was a manual on the Cutts Compensator with interchangeable choke tubes. No reference to the adjustable model.

Considered anti-seize like MEC recommends on their collet resizer on the 9000G press but not enthused about that idea. Ant-seize has a habit of migrating EVERYWHERE.

Anybody have and original manual for the adjustable Lyman choke stuck in the back of a drawer they have been hanging onto be cause it's too important to throw out, but have no idea what to do with it?

Post it here so enquiring minds will be put at ease.

Paul D. Heppner
04-16-2020, 06:51 AM
Try Corson Barrels. Do a Google search to find it. Give them a call. I know they list a bunch of the fixed tubes.

I too have a Model 12 with a Cutts. Three in fact, one 20 and two 12's. Soon to be three 12's. One of the 12 ga guns is a factory skeet grade Cutts gun with a plain barrel. No choke marking and an integral flange barrel. It was built in 1948. I have spreader and improved cylinder tubes for the 12 ga guns and a spreader and two mods for the 20. For some unknown reason an improved cylinder was never produced for the 20's.

The Model 12 Cutts guns are my favorite on the skeet field and game farm birds. Loud but awesome patterns make it worth the extra noise.

15meter
04-21-2020, 07:17 PM
I am amazed, no one with an old manual for the adjustable Cutts choke? Who whudda thunk?

15meter
04-30-2020, 01:36 PM
Still no adjustable Cutts manual?

Larry Gibson
04-30-2020, 02:39 PM
15meter

I had an adjustable choke (a Pachmyer...same basically as the Lyman and Mossberg adjustable chokes) put on a 12 ga back in the mid '70s. I really liked it. I don't recall any "manual" coming with it. It came with just a page of instructions which were rudimentary at best. Cleaning was easy and straight forward. Simply unscrew the adjustment sleeve and clean the inside of it. Clean the choke prongs off also. Hoppe's #9 and a tooth brush worked fine except if the space between the prongs was clogged with plastic stripped off the wads. A small dental pick or screw driver blade easily cleaned that out. After cleaning I oiled it with LSA but any good oil will do.

Where I hunted one could move through dense brush, along creek beds and on ridges during the same hunt as quail, pheasant, Chucker and Hungarian Partridge could be hunted during the same outing. Same for grouse and a chucker in canyon country. Being able to instantly adjust the choke for the condition was a real benefit.

I always would clean between the prongs before a hunt as when the adjustment space gets clogged it's hard if not possible to turn the choke down for a tighter pattern. Easy and only took a couple minutes.

I gave that shotgun to a grandson several years back and he's happily using it.

Larry Gibson
04-30-2020, 02:43 PM
Forgot to mention; if you clean the barrel from the breach end with a bronze brush set the choke at cylinder bore and most often the brush bristles will clean the plastic residue from between the prongs as you push the brush through the choke.

15meter
04-30-2020, 04:57 PM
15meter

I had an adjustable choke (a Pachmyer...same basically as the Lyman and Mossberg adjustable chokes) put on a 12 ga back in the mid '70s. I really liked it. I don't recall any "manual" coming with it. It came with just a page of instructions which were rudimentary at best.

I'm surprised it was that basic, Lyman show a multi-page pamphlet for the interchangeable choke version. I dis-assembled mine, there is a wire retainer to hold the screw down part on. Then threaded the collet off so I could clean it well and make sure that it had not rusted on permanently.

I used a dab of wheel bearing grease on the threads, figure that should be able to stand up to the heat and not weep out.

I was curious what Lyman's original recommendations were back in the day.

Just more house arrest/OCD/curiosity on what Lyman had to say about the maintenance/setting of the magic widget than anything else.

Bad habit, I have to read anything that has instructions about almost anything.