PDA

View Full Version : Changes between the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 3d and 4th editions

LRRifleman
04-14-2020, 09:14 PM
I am on the verge of doing an online purchase of the fourth edition of the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. I have a few specific questions.

First, does the newest edition have data for both the 40 S&W and the 10mm cartridges?

Second, has the load data for most of the molds been updated to include load data for the newer powders?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Butler Ford
04-14-2020, 09:17 PM
Yes, 6 bullets each

Not sure, haven't paid that much attention but much of it is still the same.

mtnman31
04-14-2020, 09:27 PM
Yes, it has 40 & 10mm. Yes, it has been updated with more modern powders. It also includes loads using some Lee and RCBS molds. Get it, it's worth it to have more updated info. Although, I still use the older manuals for the obsolete and less common cartridges and molds.

Bazoo
04-14-2020, 09:41 PM
Some of the cartridges listed don't show much in the way of new powders, particularly 30-30 with 31141 bullet. It lists data for the lee 309 150 F though. So I guess they only worked on what was popular at the time by way of powder and bullet and cartridge. Yes, well worth getting however.

rtyler8140
04-15-2020, 10:23 AM
As a new caster/reloader, I just picked this up yesterday. It is a wealth of information in regards to the load data. There is other useful information in the book, but I find "From Ingot to Target: A cast Bullet Guide for Handgunners" to be a little better in regards to technical aspects of casting. Best part is that one is free.

bedbugbilly
04-15-2020, 10:50 AM
I have copies of all 4 editions. I questioned the need to get the 4th edition but after I received it and went through it, I was glad I got it. I don't have the 4th edition with me here in AZ - it's back in MI - but IIRC, there were some new cartridges listed as well as molds / powders. When you shoot cast, it's always nice to have as many references as you can get and I found myself referring to it quite a bit on a couple of cartridges I added to my reloading.

LRRifleman
04-15-2020, 08:19 PM
I appreciate the help. I started casting almost 20 years ago, but haven't cast a single bullet in almost 13 years because of an accident that left me disabled. Now that I have a renewed interest in handgunning expanding my shooting games, I need to cast a few thousand bullets.

In the past six months my repertoire of 9mm pistols has grown fourfold, and a P229 in 40 S&W on the way, I have a few extra molds. Fortunately, I have about 400 pounds of wheel weights waiting to be transformed. Also going to try my hand at polycoating!

Mal Paso
04-15-2020, 10:38 PM
In 44 Mag the 4th edition went from using .430" to .429" diameter bullets. Just put a big X through that section. LOL