PDA

View Full Version : layering coats of wax

porthos
04-14-2020, 10:52 AM
i've read and heard that putting multiple coats of wax on furniture, cars, gunstocks ect. gives added protection. my thoughts are that a follow up coat will remove the previous coat; because of the rubbing and the solvents in that coat. is there any SOLID evidence to prove or disprove this.? again i mean solid / scientific evidence.

Dragonheart
04-14-2020, 11:39 AM
Sorry, I don't have any solid scientific evidence, but if you want to take the word of an old Industrial Engineer who did his first project some 50 years ago with this technique read on.

What you are describing was labeled a "French Wax Finish" at least back them. It is a very old technique in providing a high luster protective finish for wood products, fine furniture, etc. You are only going to find the process used by custom woodworkers as modern finishes are so much faster. Originally, bee's wax was used, but now days more common products like Johnson's Past Wax can be used.

It's a simple process, but labor intensive. Once the wood has been sanded and smooth wipe it down with a wet cloth to bring up the wood grain, let dry and do a final sanding with very fine sandpaper then wipe the surface clean with a dry cloth.

Roll a small rag tightly and place it in a larger rag pulled tight and twisted so it forms a smooth tight fabric ball that will fit easily in the hand. A plastic zip tie can be used to secure the neck of polishing ball. Simply dip the ball into the wax to get just a small dab of wax and start rubbing the wax into the wood until it drys. The first coats will fill the grain, successive coats will build layers thin layers, each needs to be polished until dry. Rubbing until dry is the key. A spritz of water and vigorous rubbing will impart a high gloss. One of the things I like about this finish is it can be repaired using the same technique.

country gent
04-14-2020, 11:40 AM
I use multiple coats of wax release agent not so much for a thicker coat but to make sure its completely coated with no missed areas.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-14-2020, 11:55 AM
i've read and heard that putting multiple coats of wax on furniture, cars, gunstocks ect. gives added protection. my thoughts are that a follow up coat will remove the previous coat; because of the rubbing and the solvents in that coat. is there any SOLID evidence to prove or disprove this.? again i mean solid / scientific evidence.

I suspect the filling of pores is more what is happening, instead of building layers of wax.

"Jim, I'm a boolit caster, not a scientist"
something Dr. McCoy might say when being asked a question with such a caveat, LOL

Wayne Smith
04-14-2020, 12:07 PM
One of the woodworking mags years did some research on wax. I remember reading it and the conclusion was "Nothing sticks to wax, including wax." Their conclusion is that it is a fantasy that you can 'build up' wax. All you do is make sure you have a complete coat.

Dragonheart
04-14-2020, 01:10 PM
Wax doesn't build up? OK, tell me how a spit shine works, I am assuming those in or have been in the military can comment.

gwpercle
04-14-2020, 01:50 PM
I've watched my Mom on her hands and knees removing built up wax from her hardwood floors too many times ... If wax doesn't build up ..... why the heck did she do all that hard work removing it .
Maybe she just enjoyed all that hard work ... yeah right ...there is no such thing as wax buildup .
Come down here and tell my mom that story...convince her and you'll convince me .
Gary

Winger Ed.
04-14-2020, 01:58 PM
Wax doesn't build up? OK, tell me how a spit shine works, I am assuming those in or have been in the military can comment.

Not all wax is the same. Among other differences, some has solvents, some doesn't.
Without a solvent-- like shoe polish and floor wax, for example- it can and will build up.

Wax that has a solvent in it won't build up, at least not much once all the surface pores have filled in.
How thick has anyone ever built up Pledge on their coffee table?
If you wax your car every day, how thick will it eventually build up?

abunaitoo
04-14-2020, 07:26 PM
It all depends on what kind of wax you are using.
Some wax has a cleaning solvent in it.
It is suppose to remove the top layer of old dirty wax, and put a new layer of wax over it.
Some wax is just a wax.
Hard to put on.
I've found that you can layer wax, so wax does build up.
Don't use paste wax, on cars, anymore.
I use Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax
I don't know what kind of wax it is, but it's easy to go on. Shine and coat like crazy.
Plus it last a long time.

porthos
04-14-2020, 07:57 PM
OK, i forgot about spit shining mu shoes in the marine corps ( i think they don't do that anymore). still not completly convinced. so, i will probably do some sort of test. finish a slab of wood; cut in half, wax 1 piece with one good coat, the other half will get many coats (maybe 6 coats). put both outside until i can see if there is a difference over time

SSGOldfart
04-14-2020, 08:45 PM
Polish and wax are two different things shoe polish cut with spit to shine boots or low quarters ( dress shoes for those not military personnel) it will build up,but your cutting the polish to make it shine. Wax/ bees wax will build up floor polish won't. Johnson's paste wax will build up a few layers,just look at any barracks floor. If you want paste wax to really shine melt it before using it.

bangerjim
04-15-2020, 01:47 PM
French polishing, as mentioned above, is the old proven way to get an unbelievable shine on finely finished wood surfaces with ONLY waxes. It has been used for many hundreds of years. I still use it on some of my antique and cabinet projects.

Just like ANY finish, the final result is ONLY as good as the wood surface you start with. Every bump and bobble will show thru no matter how many coats of wax/varnish/polyurethane/lacquer/shellac you give it. That is why when I need a mirror-gloss perfectly smooth finish, I use 5-8 coats of nitrocellulose lacquer, rubbed down with 600 to 1000 grit WET paper between each coat. Eliminates any deformities in the substrate wood after that many coats. But lacquer does not play well with water, moisture, or alcohol (turns white), so I do not recommend it on heavy-use (kids) table tops or gun stocks!

I have been finishing/refinishing wood and antiques since ~1965 and have tried (and seen) most everything you could imagine!

banger

Wayne Smith
04-16-2020, 07:59 AM
I believe true French Polish is a combination of shellac and wax, not wax only.

JRLesan
04-16-2020, 08:11 AM
HMMM... Did they have 'zip ties' 50 years go? On second thought, that was 1970 so maybe they did...

Dragonheart
04-16-2020, 08:33 AM
I believe true French Polish is a combination of shellac and wax, not wax only.

Yes, shellac is now commonly used in the process, but if I remember correctly shellac is a mid 1800's newcomer in wood finishes compared to beeswax.

Dragonheart
04-16-2020, 09:04 AM
HMMM... Did they have 'zip ties' 50 years go? On second thought, that was 1970 so maybe they did...

Yeah, you got me! Actually, we didn't have zip ties. Back then we called them tie-wraps, but over the years I have attempted to adjust my vocabulary to better fit the age of my audience.

porthos
04-16-2020, 12:37 PM
test: yesterday i sanded a piece of walnut taped it in the middle; one coat of johnsons paste wax on one side , andi will put 4 coats on the other. i will then take it outside until i can see if there is any difference. it will set flat and exposed to the elements. i will post the results.