PDA

View Full Version : first solo deer

Lead melter
11-22-2008, 07:56 PM
My 11 year old son has been bugging me to let him hunt solo, so this morning I decided to see what matter of metal he is made of.

Modern gun season opened this morning in my area of NC, temp was right about 18 degrees. I put the boy in what we call the "corner stand" which is a 2 man tree stand in the corner of a fallow field on top of a hill. I sat at the bottom of the hill watching a small stream bed and escape route to a thicket.

6:55AM I heard the "boom" of his grandfather's old Marlin 336 in 30-30. Radio check says he might have hit the deer, but not sure. Says it was limping when it made the weed line. I inform him we better wait a while, as an injured deer pushed too soon can go a long way, but if left alone, it will lie down and die.

8:00AM I go get him out of the stand and start searching. Deer is down and dead about 50 yards from point of shot. Range was slightly over 100 yards {I know the range, I've hunted this area for over 10 years} with a load of 36 grains W748, Federal GM210M primer, and Remington Core-Lokt 150 grain slug. Rear of lungs and front of stomach shredded. Doe about 100-110 pounds. Sorry, no pics, I don't have a camera.

Best part of the day was that since he is now old enough to hunt solo, he is also old enough to skin and clean solo. Life's learning lessons where we can make them.

Let our sons grow up to be men, not politically correct citizens of a uniform world.

Larry Gibson
11-22-2008, 08:35 PM
Congradulations to the boy and a slap on the back for the old man! My first centerfire was a M94 30-30. I had already killed a few deer with my .22LR rifle. a M&P .38 Special S&W and beat one to death with a Savage 16 ga (that's another story that invilves how I got the M94) and learned "life's lessons" gutting and skinning them. Good lessons and a good way to manhood. Kudos again to you and your son.

Larry Gibson

carpetman
11-22-2008, 09:09 PM
Lead melter---The doe has no antlers to mount,but you can still make the boy a trophy( Tell him congrats btw). Tie the ankles in a 90 degree bend and saw the legs off 4-6 inches from that bend. Soak that in a mixture of 20 Mule Team borax--cup and half to a gallon of water. (Get the borax from grocery store in laundry detergent section). After it soaks 3 days rinse real well. This will keep it from stinking. Make a plaque like board about 3 feet long. This can be as fancy or plain as you like--routed edges or plain. Even a strip of oak from a pallet can be made to look nice. When the legs have dried,untie them and that bend will stay as if welded. On the board drill a couple of holes about 2 1/2 feet apart centered on width of board. These holes will be of the size for a large lag bolt to go through which will screw into the hollow of the deers leg to mount them to the board. On back of board you can make the hole larger where the bolt head will fit flush and you have room to get a socket on the bolt head to tighten it. Tighten the legs with hooves pointed up. You now have a rack for baseball bat and glove and ball cap---or a rack for a gun, or whatever an 11 yr old boy might want to put on it. You can use shoe wax and shine the hooves. Where the leg contacts the front you can trim around with thong leather--an escutcheon if you will.

Scrounger
11-22-2008, 10:46 PM
You should see the mounting job he does on his trophy cats. The sheep...I'm not going to go there...

NHlever
11-22-2008, 10:53 PM
Larry, I got my first .22 early after "harvesting" a skunk with a spear........ Story there too. :-)

OBXPilgrim
11-23-2008, 09:13 AM
NHlever

There is NO WAY you are not going to tell us that story.

:mrgreen:

JDL
11-23-2008, 10:10 AM
Congrats to your son and you!
JDL

Beerd
11-24-2008, 03:18 PM
Lead Melter,

Give your son a pat on the back from this old hunter. Good work.

missionary5155
11-24-2008, 03:30 PM
Hey Lead Melter
Tell your son CONGRADULATIONS from me !

Shuz
11-25-2008, 12:31 PM
Lead Melter-- congrats to both you and your son!
Shuz