View Full Version : Getting lazy in my maturity!

Freightman
04-13-2020, 07:19 PM
I am getting lazy as I mature [smilie=1: since last year I turned 80 (not old yetjust mature) I will leave some of my 9mm brass laying. does that qualify me as lazy!

Winger Ed.
04-13-2020, 07:34 PM
Not unless you're leaving one next to a .45ACP brass--- which must be picked up.

I put it in the category of:
'Since I'm already down here, what else do I need to do before I stand back up.'
In such a case, leaving one would be considered lazy, or maybe worse.

tomj44
04-13-2020, 07:55 PM
I'd say you made some good choices along the way to make it to 80. Do whatever you want.

MUSTANG
04-13-2020, 08:15 PM
Obviously you do not have any of the GrandChildren or Great Grandchildren along. Find the Brass is one of my favorite games to play with them when I take them to the range.

RKJ
04-13-2020, 08:40 PM
Don't worry about it. Just leave it for us young guys (62). I can't hardly walk by a piece of brass without picking it up. I'm like a pack rat, if it's shiny I have to pick it up.

popper
04-13-2020, 09:12 PM
Nope - if it doesn't hit the bucket I leave it. The bucket usually has lots of other peoples 9mm anyway. I even leave some 40sw. Did 500 or so BO conversions so don't worry about picking them up.

Kraschenbirn
04-14-2020, 10:15 AM
Nope, not at all. I 'm just past 75 and I'll sweep up my 9mm off our concrete firing line but that's as far as I'll go. If I find myself running short (hah!:-D), I just drop by the range on a Friday morning when my non-reloader attorney and his son are 'tuning up' for a weekend IDPA match and leave with two or three hundred once-fired.

Bill

Land Owner
04-14-2020, 11:15 AM
If you have reloaded for some time and are frugal, you are accustomed to a life of stooping and picking. At eight decades young, a true Octogenarian, you decide if stooping and picking is right for you. Us "young punks" though will continue to stoop and pick.

375supermag
04-14-2020, 11:34 AM
Hi...
I am 65 years old and have probably 10K pieces of 9mm brass.
I still pick it up...probably picked up 100-150 more than my son and I shot Sunday at the gun club.
I do the same with .40S&W...I estimate 5K pieces of brass in my stash and will continue to pick it up.
Just can't leave good useful brass go to waste.

gwpercle
04-14-2020, 01:58 PM
Not at all !
The local indoor range sells fired 9mm range brass so cheaply that I don't bother to chase it down and pick it up any longer ... 70 year old back doesn't improve with age ...along with a couple other body parts ... so I wouldn't call it being lazy ... it's called conserving what you got for later .
Time for a cat nap .

On the days I want to pick up brass... a small broom , bucket and dust pan make the job so much easier.
Sweep up everything ...clean and sort sitting in a chair at home ...the back thanks you !
Gary

MrWolf
04-14-2020, 06:07 PM
Depends. Do you still stop and pick up a lead wheel weight?

MUSTANG
04-14-2020, 06:44 PM
Depends. Do you still stop and pick up a lead wheel weight?

Nahhhh. I kick it, and if it goes "Tink" I leave it lay; now if it goes "Thunk" I quickly bend down and get it before someone else does.

country gent
04-14-2020, 07:52 PM
Being in a wheel chair I have added a set of reacher/grabbers to my kit. They make retrieving dropped items much easier for me. I have a set modified for mt track chair that set in one of the stake pockets ready for use LOL. While not 9 mm I wont leave one of my bpcr cases or wildcats laying either. I have them in the house garage shop and shooting kit. I prefer the 36" versions with a d type handle I can grip with the whole hand

rbuck351
04-15-2020, 10:39 PM
I sometimes pickup 9mm but I have so many I'm not sure why. 40S&W stays where it is as I don't shoot it and you can barely give it away. Most everything else gets picked up even though I have more of what I shoot than I will likely ever use. Can't help myself. 9mm just isn't practical for me to pick up unless there is a pile I can pick up with one bend over.

MrWolf
04-16-2020, 08:07 AM
I don't really have a say in the matter as if I see one I pick it up. Think it is a hard wired thing from prehistoric times or sumptin.

Iowa Fox
04-21-2020, 02:47 AM
You old guys are making me feel like a kid.

762 shooter
04-21-2020, 06:50 AM
Sorry. I can't unsee any caliber of brass and leave it lay.

I picked up 150 pieces of 9mm Saturday and I don't own a 9mm.

Maybe one day.

lightman
04-21-2020, 07:36 AM
I'm another that just can't leave it lay. I even pick up the bent, crushed and corroded stuff. But its getting harder as my MS makes standing, walking and stooping more of a challenge.

I have a magnet on a stick that I use for wheel weights! I don't need the wheel weights or the 9mm, I just can't break the habit!

metricmonkeywrench
04-21-2020, 03:37 PM
happiness is leaving the range with more lead and brass than you arrived with...