PDA

View Full Version : cast bullets in the 243 cal.

catkiller45
11-22-2008, 07:08 PM
I would like to hear about your results using cast bullets in the 243-such as what molds you all have used and what powders you have found to be the most accurate...

The planned alloy of use will be plain old wheel weights as I have several od fhem...

What bullet mold do you all think would be the best overall mold for deer and other varmints?

Thanks for any advice you have to share....John:bigsmyl2:

NSP64
11-22-2008, 08:53 PM
I have shot cast in my howa 1500 in 243. used the Lyman 83gr,RCBS 90&100gr the lyman seemed the most accurate with GC and 6.6gr reddot.I just neck size the cases:drinks:

MT Gianni
11-23-2008, 01:37 AM
I have used the RCBS 95 and the 85 gr LY both are shooters. I would only use 243 cast on deer if it was down and I wanted to put one in the ear-hole @ 15 yards. They are great paper punchers and rabbit zappers but will not expand enough nor create enough shock for big game. 85 gr and 100 gr jacketed work well enough to save cast for the 30 and up calibers. Gianni

catkiller45
11-23-2008, 10:07 AM
I appreciate your replies men...I thought of using them for a hunting bullet though...So you don't think they would be good for deer hunting,Gianni....I know of one family and that is all they claim to ever use,is cast bullets...But I do not know what caliber they are using...Thanks again

Nobade
11-23-2008, 10:21 AM
My 243 works great with the 95gr. RCBS bullet and 10.0 gr. Red Dot. I too wouldn't try to hunt with it, but if I really had to I'd water quench the bullets and then anneal the noses. After a lot of testing to prove to myself that they'd open up I might try it if I didn't have anything bigger to use.

Newtire
11-23-2008, 11:21 AM
I agree with Mt. Gianni. Have used the 85 grain lyman Loverin design and the RCBS 95 grainer as well as the Saeco 85 grainer. Used 12 grains of 2400 and 18 grains of H-4198 for most accurate loads although I will have to try that RedDot load now! Darn, will have to shoot some more...

MT Gianni
11-23-2008, 06:55 PM
I appreciate your replies men...I thought of using them for a hunting bullet though...So you don't think they would be good for deer hunting,Gianni....I know of one family and that is all they claim to ever use,is cast bullets...But I do not know what caliber they are using...Thanks again

Carpetman's grandson or nephew shot a whitetail and had a pass through with out recovering the
buck with a 243 cast. I am aware of those who have taken deer with the Sweede 6.5x55. I have shot a couple with the 30's and feel that is the lowest caliber I can get a decent meplate in for deer hunting humanely. You might get the job done with something else but it would take nose tempering or a split nose and the right conditions.