PDA

View Full Version : Best scope mounts for a 336?

Tripplebeards
04-13-2020, 09:28 AM
I currently have on see throughs. I removed the cheap optic last year to to use on another rifle so now is the time to switch them out if I end up doing so. I have see throughs on a couple of 7600’s and over the decades they scored two deer for me. Once I dropped my gun in the snow and the other time my optic POA was knocked off and I hit low on a deer. I tracked it down a few hundred yards away. It fell through a pond. I missed by a god foot with my trusty 3x9 leupold vx11. I then dropped down to use my opens and hit my mark. So I have to admit the see throughs have earned their keep on my other rifles. It’s just that they look goofy. I always get used to them in time. I did install a DNZ game reaper one piece mount on my latest 7600 carbine in 35 whelen. I like it a lot and see they make them for the 336’s. I don’t want to remove my rear sight so if my optic would sit to low the DNZ out be ruled out. I would guess no bigger then a 42mm is going back on my gun. I have used EGW picatinny rails as well and like them.

Any suggestions on whether to ditch or keep my see throughs?

Markopolo
04-13-2020, 10:08 AM
i have the old weaver pivot mount on my 49 336 and really love them.. i was suspect at first and my rifle gets trounced around a bunch... but they have held true for me Tripp...

pietro
04-13-2020, 11:02 AM

One upon a time, I had a set of the Weaver pivot mount/rings on a then-new (1967) .444 Marlin that whaled the stuffing's out of my eyebrow when I shot it with the scope pivoted out to the left for an iron sight shot.

It turned out that my off eyebrow was much more forward towards the mule than my sighting eye was, making it close enough to the pivoted scope for a bloody sight picture.

After that, I decided that if I wanted to use the iron sights on a scoped rifle, I'd rather QD remove the scope out of the way ILO pivoting it.

I agree that the see-through mounts/rings look goofy, and so vote for a rail - and switch the rear open/iron sight out for a folder, like the Marble's, to clear the scope objective bell.

The folders are made in both a longleaf version and a smaller type

https://reader015.docslide.net/reader015/html5/20170925/5530f8af5503465e598b4923/bg4.png

SwissShooter
04-13-2020, 11:36 AM
Talley is the best, Leupold 2nd. Amazon has them all.

dverna
04-13-2020, 11:53 AM
I missed a shot at 275 yards when my cheap Nikon got knocked after a fall. My solution was to get a better scope. No irons sights on my hunting rifles anyway.

Tatume
04-13-2020, 11:58 AM
An inexpensive Weaver base and Weaver low rings work very nicely with a straight-tube scope, like a Leupold Ultralight.

I have this setup, and it is a delight to carry, a delight to shoot, and deadly on deer and hogs.

Drm50
04-13-2020, 12:18 PM
Weaver one piece is simple and cheap. Leupold makes one piece for their rings too. Weaver is aluminum and Leupold is steel. One or the other is only thing I would put on my rifles. I have them for my Marlins and had them for Rem 742. Now only Rem I have them on is 870 slug gun. I think same base as 742/760. Hasn’t been off the gun since new in 1966. Running Weaver K3 in low rings. It was just tuned a click or two over same time period. One piece bases and straight power scopes, don’t get better.

Tripplebeards
04-13-2020, 03:14 PM
This is the one in thinking of...

https://youtu.be/5p2kvgiQbpE

I have one on my savage 220 slug gun and its pretty nice.

I don’t know if my 1970 factory rear sight blade folds down or not.

Shawlerbrook
04-13-2020, 03:18 PM
Check out the Ranger Point Precision Rhino Rail.

Texas by God
04-13-2020, 03:20 PM
I’ve never put larger than a 32 mm objective lens on a lever action. If you must have a variable, 2x7 will give plenty of magnification. On my last Marin I used a Weaver K4F post in Weaver low rings. The one piece base is low enough to see the irons with the scope removed. Personally I detest see thru rings.

nhithaca
04-13-2020, 03:27 PM
Look up the Williams combo rail sight; Ace in the Hole. #70975 for the Marlin 336/444/1895 w/ front sight too.
Have a couple on a 375 & a 336 and a couple that I adapted to Ithaca 37s using the Mossberg model (drilled Ithaca's to Mossberg pattern).
Gives you both a peep sight and a Weaver type rail.
Optics Planet sells them. Or on e-bay all the time.

Tripplebeards
04-13-2020, 03:44 PM
I do have a leupold vx1 2x7 sitting on my Ruger 44 carbine that doesn’t get much use that I might borrow to put on it. I’d rather have a red dot or opens on that 44 carbine anyways. Figured the 2x7 would look nice with the DNZ mount. I also bought a couple of cheap tasco 2.5x10 42mm target varminter mildot optics’s for dirt cheap. I originally picked them up for an air rifle and a couple of rimfires but I might mount one up to do some load testing on my 336 first. Forgot I put a DNZ mount on my 7600 35 whelen carbine as well.

Gtek
04-13-2020, 08:36 PM
All of them here have Leupold mount with VX 2-7x33's. Center scope, get really close with big screws and tweak in with knobs.

sghart3578
04-14-2020, 12:45 AM
I wanted a Weaver pivot mount on my Marlin 1894CS. I wanted the ability to swing the scope out of the way and use my rear buckhorn sights. But the mount that I found was too long and it hit the rear sight.

So I cut off 3/4" of the rear of the mount, redrilled the two rear holes and that is what I use.

I have a Leupold 1-4X Freedom scope on it.

So far it is rock solid and returns to zero.

Steve in N CA

Cosmic_Charlie
04-14-2020, 09:26 AM
I put an XS Sight Systems scout mount on my Glenfield. Got a Burris scout scope on it. For the kind of ranges you use a 30-30 for it's perfect.

Norske
04-14-2020, 10:02 AM
My Marlin 1895 45-70 has a Leupold 1-4X heavy cross hair slug gun scope in an old Weaver pivot mount. I also had the little brass front sight bead replaced with a Trijicon tritium glow-in-the-dark bead. It's kind of a specialty black bear gun.

Tripplebeards
04-14-2020, 10:42 AM
I had a tritium sight installed in my shotgun bead about 15 years ago for low to no light predator hunting. It’s pretty slick. I’ll have to see if it still glows.

koger
04-14-2020, 12:01 PM
In my 36+ years as a gunsmith, see thru rings are the absolute worst. I will only put on a weaver type base, or leupold, with good rings. I had a guy complaining about his 2x7 Leupold not staying zeroed on his 336, .35 Rem. I checked everything out, and his see thrus were tight. I put a bore sighter in the barrel, got ahold of the scope and applied pressure, 3 different times, and the cross hair ended up a different place on the grid every time, had him look thru the scope and same result. I put on a used set of Redfield bases and rings, problem solved. Gun went from a4" group at 100yds, to 1". Just my experience. I sold 2 gallon freezer bags full of see thru mounts I had removed over the years, cheap on here.

ulav8r
04-14-2020, 03:31 PM
See through rings allow using the scope tube as a carrying handle. That is the only application they are good for.

Win94ae
04-14-2020, 08:16 PM
I had the see through rings on my 30-30 at one time, and found them to be more trouble than they were worth. Mine were aluminum, and when I finally decided to not use them anymore, I tested their strength. I could easily bend them with my bare hands. Right then I knew that those rings were almost always a problem.
If yours are steel, and are strong enough to take the knocking around and still hold zero, use them.

M-Tecs
04-14-2020, 08:50 PM
In my 36+ years as a gunsmith, see thru rings are the absolute worst. I will only put on a weaver type base, or leupold, with good rings. I had a guy complaining about his 2x7 Leupold not staying zeroed on his 336, .35 Rem. I checked everything out, and his see thrus were tight. I put a bore sighter in the barrel, got ahold of the scope and applied pressure, 3 different times, and the cross hair ended up a different place on the grid every time, had him look thru the scope and same result. I put on a used set of Redfield bases and rings, problem solved. Gun went from a4" group at 100yds, to 1". Just my experience. I sold 2 gallon freezer bags full of see thru mounts I had removed over the years, cheap on here.

Same for me but I don't sell them. I remove the screws or any parts that I might have a use for but the see thru part goes into the scrape metal bin. For flip-off they go eBay if they are they older style that some people tend to way over pay for. I got $150 for a Pachmayr Lo-Swing Scope Mount on eBay. I wouldn't give you $0.15 for it if I had to actually use it.

Most of the quality mounts that are designed to completely remove the scope tend to repeat well under 1 MOA if properly installed. They are a very workable option.

Tripplebeards
04-14-2020, 09:26 PM
You guys are pushing me over the edge.

I did a couple of ladder tests years ago with my see throughs and a cheap tasco world class 3x9 mil dot optic. I have a 180 grain hot core hand load that shoots sub MOA consistently at 100 yards so I would assume my rings must be pretty sturdy. Maybe it will shoot tighter with a better optic and scope base. I’m leaning towards the DNZ one piece mount. The EGW picatinny rail is a close second. I’d use Warne rings with it if I go with the rail. I believe all mine are made out of steel.

I have some see throughs my dad bought new in 84’ mounted on my 7600 with a Leupold 3x9 vx11. I can shoot cloverleaves to a .4” group pretty consistently off the bench with it as well. What ever brands I bought must be stouter then most. Another set on a 35 remington carbine from 04’ that shoots sub MOA all day long as well. They probably haven’t taken a good hit yet to knock off the POA. Knock on wood.

M-Tecs
04-14-2020, 09:32 PM
You guys are pushing me over the edge.

I did a couple of ladder tests years ago with my see throughs and a cheap tasco world class 3x9 mil dot optic. I have a 180 grain hot core hand load that shoots sub MOA consistently at 100 yards so I would assume my rings must be pretty sturdy. Maybe it will shoot tighter with a better optic and scope base. I’m leaning towards the DNZ one piece mount. The EGW picatinny rail is a close second. I’d use Warne rings with it if I go with the rail.

Do the same test but take the palm of your hand and hit the scope. Do it a couple of times on the left side of the scope than shoot for the POI, repeat for the right and top. Some hold POI well. Last test on a solid bench and rest put some downward pressure on the scope to see if the POI is effected.

As long as the mounting system flex's consistently accuracy should not be an issue. The less solid the mounting system is the more likely and impact or pressure will change POI.

Buckeye509
04-14-2020, 09:54 PM
I have Williams Ace-in the-Hole sights on my Marlin (manufactured in 1970), 336 35 Remington. I was out last week shooting some cast RD 190 grain using a 1.9 cc of Trail Boss and it was a real pleasure to shoot as well as very accurate. My other 336 is a 30-30 rebored by JES to 375 Winchester. He did a fine job and got it back to me for Ohio gun season. I worked up a satisfactory load and took a nice doe. The rifle had a 1-4 Bushnell scope with Weaver bases and Warne rings at the time. I've since put on a XS Ghost Ring with Picatinny Rail and found it to be very accurate with cast loads. Where I hunt in Ohio the shots are rarely over 60 yards, so I'm considering no scope on the 375 or perhaps a red dot.

Norske
04-14-2020, 11:06 PM
See-through mounts will require a stock pad to get your eye in line with the scope if the only shot is a quick one. That's their disadvantage.

Tripplebeards
05-09-2020, 04:25 PM
I still have to figure out a scope base. I’m still leaning towards the DNZ one piece scope mount and probably will end up with the Leupold 2x7 on it. While I’m still debating I mounted up one of my brand new $24.99, 2.5x10 tasco Mil dot varmint scopes I picked up for my air rifle and rimfires and tested some cast boolits through it. Looks kinda goofy(but I like it) and figured the extra magnification would help with group testing. Never shot cast through it before or in a bottleneck cartridge. The trigger was close to 5 pounds (I adjusted it to 2.25 pounds now). I shot a hair over sub MOA with two different loads with the lee and our group buy HP at 100 yards. The rings held up and never shifted. I just don’t like the looks of the see throughs.

https://i.imgur.com/uv6NGaO.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/yziWvsL.jpg

I do have a bunch of extra rings laying around I’ll have to dig through. I think I have a set of medium Warne and leupold PRW rings. I could buy a EGW picatinny rail or a weaver one piece base to mount them.