PDA

View Full Version : Reloading 10.5x47R

Wayne Smith
11-22-2008, 07:07 PM
CH4D let me down as I've posted before, Redding has quoted $600-800 to make dies from my chamber cast. Now I'm looking for other options.

I have a universal Decapping die. I have the Lee neck flaring tool, and needle nose pliers! I have a shell holder.

I understand I can get neck sizing dies that use inserts to size the neck. It's a break open, so I don't need to full length resize.

What options do I have for bullet seating? I'm thinking particularly about ironing out the neck flare. I can seat a boolit with my arbor press if it comes to that, or possibly my .44 Mag die. Since it's BP, seating depth will be determined by my charge.

shooter93
11-22-2008, 09:02 PM
Steve Meacham mkes straight line seaters and check Huntington's...they may have RCBS dies in stock at a reasonable price.. Lee will also make custon dies from fired rounds.

shooter93
11-22-2008, 09:03 PM
And...a straight line seater doesn't need the neck belled at all...just chamfered.

Wayne Smith
11-23-2008, 09:57 AM
Shooter - even with cast boolits? I've never used one.

Wayne Smith
11-23-2008, 11:05 AM
OOPS! Checked Midway catalog - nobody lists a Neck Sizer Bushing larger than .365!

How tightly does the straight line seater die need to fit the case - remember I've got a case that is unique - nobody makes one. This is the 11MM Mauser case cut down and necked down. It is 47mm long and necked to 10.5mm as close as I can tell.

Pat I.
11-23-2008, 12:16 PM
I'd call and talk to Steve Meacham. He has bigger bushings and you might be able to come up with a die body he already has stocked that'll work, even if it isn't unigue to that case, and just use the bushing you need. If the bushing is only one or two thousandths under loaded neck dia. you should be able to get away with just seating the bullet by hand or at least get it started without flaring it. For final seating you could probably use a die you already have or find a used 43 spanish or something die set.

Wayne Smith
11-23-2008, 10:12 PM
Thanks, Pat. I'll have to count my pennies before I talk to him, but he looks like my best chance.