PDA

View Full Version : What are "J-words"?

wildphilhickup
04-12-2020, 11:12 PM
Is that some type of special bullet?

Or is it cast boolit words that start with the letter "J"?

Does it follow "I-words" and preface "K-words"?

*Having a hard time figuring this one out.

M-Tecs
04-12-2020, 11:15 PM
Jacketed bullets

Rcmaveric
04-12-2020, 11:49 PM
Lol, there is a post some where about this and what started it all.

Boolits - hand cast bullets pour from the silver gallina.

Bullets - pretty much any thing shot

J words - that dirty bad word that means copper jacketed lead.

Lol my pour attempt of humor. Hope it helps.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Winger Ed.
04-12-2020, 11:59 PM
We use 'J-words' because calling them by their proper name is considered blasphemy here.

You can sneak it in once in awhile, but if you say it too often,
the villagers will come after you with torches and pitch forks like they did for the Frankenstein monster
after he went out in the town and got into mischief.

FLINTNFIRE
04-13-2020, 12:10 AM
Oh is it that bad jacketed bullet I use them along with cast , I am not going to show bias , they have there place and they get along together in my reloading room .

Wayne Smith
04-13-2020, 08:03 AM
Also called condom bullets. For obvious reasons.

TNsailorman
04-13-2020, 09:55 AM
Both cast boolits and jacketed bullets have their uses. Neither is 100% more effective than the other. At one time the use of cast boolits was more cost effective than jacketed but gap has been closing in the last few years and now when you count all the extra's you need to buy to do a good job with cast, it all but disappears. I like and shoot both but shoot more jacketed in rifles and more cast in revolvers these days. Lead for most of use is not free anymore and more expensive when we have to buy it. my opinion anyway, james

Patrick L
04-13-2020, 09:59 AM
I always thought it was a REALLY REALLY long gas check??;)

FLINTNFIRE
04-13-2020, 10:38 AM
Heck I even powder coat , shoot lubed , powder coated , and jacketed , however this is the only site I spend time on , started casting in the 70's for black powder pistols , cast for 38 special in the 80's , then late 80's for muzzle loading rifles , then in the 90's I started casting 45 , now it is just about everything I shoot I cast for .

I still load and shoot jacketed , and I confess to have bought factory loaded for the 350 legend , and 50 beowulf and I still buy jacketed when it is a decent price for some rifles , and I find all casting and reloading to be worthwhile .

Dapaki
04-13-2020, 10:47 AM
I laughed so loud the wife cam running down to the living room when I first heard the "J-word" reference, she just sighed and said, "Stupid boys!" and walked away. Of course, that only made me laugh louder!

I actually cast because I shoot steel almost exclusively and have never had an all lead WW cast boolit come back at me even from 3 yards (yes mom, I know, stay back from the target, sheesh!).

We do shoot paper when dialing a load in but ringing the gong at 100 and 200 yards is much more rewarding than running a veneer caliper across paper.

Welcome!

dondiego
04-13-2020, 11:37 AM
It actually started on another forum where the Moderators did not allow the use of the term "Jacketed Bullet". It has never been taboo here, thankfully.

dverna
04-13-2020, 12:41 PM
Both cast boolits and jacketed bullets have their uses. Neither is 100% more effective than the other. At one time the use of cast boolits was more cost effective than jacketed but gap has been closing in the last few years and now when you count all the extra's you need to buy to do a good job with cast, it all but disappears. I like and shoot both but shoot more jacketed in rifles and more cast in revolvers these days. Lead for most of use is not free anymore and more expensive when we have to buy it. my opinion anyway, james

This guy has not drunk the Kool-Aid.

I will go a step further...Cast bullets in a modern hunting rifle make no sense. They can never achieve the range and accuracy of a jacketed bullet. If you are satisfied with turning your .308 (or better) rifle into a .30/30 (or less), cast is for you. You will not save enough on hunting bullets to justify the cost and frustration of casting for the modern hunting rifle.

I have two molds for the 5.56 that will likely never get used...I buy Hornady 55 gr SP bullets for $420/6000 that can be driven to over 3000 fps accurately. Look at the hundreds of posts here trying to get anything close to that with cast...and these guys know what they are doing!!! BTW, that jacketed bullet is still accurate to 300 yards. Cast bullet accuracy is not as "linear" as jacketed as ranges increase.

The only use I have for cast bullets are for cheap shooting in pistols and pistol caliber carbines.

BamaNapper
04-13-2020, 12:49 PM
Nothing wrong with j-word projectiles, I use plenty of them. I'm willing to bet every one here does, at least from time to time. But bringing them up on a cast bullet forum is like asking the Home Depot guy if Lowe's carries something you're looking for. Or maybe like asking a Chevy question on a Ford forum. I get a kick out of the j-word issue.

fcvan
04-13-2020, 04:04 PM
I load 'J' words for specific purposes but prefer casting my own. Out in CA, non-lead for hunting is law, I have .223 and .308 loaded with lathe turned HPBT copper. However, I prefer to kill tin cans with lead in my .223/5.56 and .308 W rifles. I like the challenge, I like the fun, I like that I don't need higher velocity to get devastating results on target. Mostly, I shoot tin cans. I hate them, it is an irrational obsession :)

My standard of accuracy is 'minute of soda can' at 100 yards shooting off-hand with iron sights. I average 2250 fps from my AR 10, M1A, and a bolt action scout rifle. For 223/5.56, I average 2250 fps with a NOE 225-62 RN PB designed for PC. From the Mini 14 and AR 15 they don't pierces tin cans, they shred them. You can see the evidence of deformation on what's left of the can. From a 24" single shot I get 2450 fps using the same load with better than minute of soda can because that is scoped.

I shoot cast for fun and for the cost savings. The NOE 309-150 GC Spitzer shoots so well in 30-06, 300 BO, and .308 W and hits with authority. The first time I took out the 300 BO, someone had shot up a table saw blade with a Mosin using surplus ammo. Pretty little 30 caliber holes. I shot it with the 300 BO, approximately 2000 fps, it didn't pierce the steel blade, it tore a 1 1/8" hole out of it. Tough steel those blades, sure was impressive how lead tears things up! Even better when you have friends who bring their 'store bought' ammo, I'm shooting stuff I made for 10 bucks a hundred for 308 W, much less for 2.23/5.56, and have it perform like it does.

When I do shoot 'J words' I have been impressed with how very little tweaking I had to do when working up amazingly accurate rounds. All of my reloading of cast probably had something to do with the meticulous approach to loading I learned from my Dad. I remember him loading for his Springfield 03-A3 Sporterized, and then putting his rounds 3 under a dime at 100 yards, back in the late 1960s.

Dad is 80, doesn't shoot much, and so he sent my brother and I home with his gear. Yes, that included his reloading diary. That Springfield never saw lead until Dad said 'go ahead and try.' The next time at the range with us, he was impressed. Sure, loaded with lead the Springfield has the energy of a 30-30 W, Dad's response was "I killed a lot of deer with my 30-30." He traded the lever gun for the Springfield because my Uncle wanted a lever gun.

jdfoxinc
04-13-2020, 05:08 PM
J is easier to type than jacketed.

Mk42gunner
04-13-2020, 07:24 PM
My favorite euphemism for jacketed bullets just may be "red coated pretender" but J word is easier to type.

And yes I still load and shoot both types.

Robert

GLynn41
04-13-2020, 11:10 PM
j word boolits are formal bullets because they are "jacketed" :)
I use both but since my all time fav round is a .358 win, with 220-230 gr I can get full power-- so I am not as limited as to say a "full power .300 mag." I am down to one .358 win and the lee .358 mold. Which is fine. One of these days I will maybe get a 220-230 ish mold for my dream .358 win -- a BLR. My current .358 is a Weatherbye vanguard with a 22" barrel. with 220-225 grain formal bullets' I get 2500+ fps. I think pc'd boolits could do the same. I hope to push my lee 206 gr boolits pc'd some and see where I am. I can get 2680fps with gummie bear bullets.. FLex tip. I do not doubt I can get the same with the Lee, but accuracy will likely stop me before then. BTW Hornady has this load for that speed in a .358 win and a bit more. Since this is my all around rifle, even around fields, I am interested in fps as well as BC for my range around fields.

mvintx
04-14-2020, 08:30 PM
I'm glad he asked the question. I had no idea of what everyone was talking about when they used that term.

bigjake
04-15-2020, 06:13 PM
Personally, I think it's stupid calling them j words. I understand the whole joke about them and all but its not funny anymore. I cast all kinds of bullets. I lube them, powder coat them and I shoot them. I love hunting for all kinds of lead alloys too. I shoot a lot of rifle bullets. long range mostly. I have been making jacketed bullets now too. I cast the core for them. I'm in no way calling the guy that started the slang word or the dudes that like using it stupid, i just think it sounds and reads embarrassing.

redhawk0
04-15-2020, 06:20 PM
I've stopped using "J-word" too...now its either boolits...or bullets.

redhawk

jonp
04-15-2020, 06:44 PM
Who is John Gault?