PDA

View Full Version : Helllo new guy here

ghost1324
04-12-2020, 07:29 PM
Hi am am just starting to get into reloading. I plan on starting with a .223 load for browning A Bolt. Has 1:8 twist and not liking any lighter loads so going to try 70 g barnes stx with bench mark powder. Not a lot of powder left anywhere and I want to get one I can use with a .308 load as well. For the .308 I will be using a Barnes 165g sttx also with bench mark powder. Do you guy recommend starting right at the minimum charge? Thanks in advance for any info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winger Ed.
04-12-2020, 07:36 PM
Welcome aboard.

Depending what you're loading for will determine if ya want to go mild or wild.

I don't hunt anymore, so I just load for target shooting.
I've had good luck with centerfire rifle stuff to start in the middle of recommended published loads,
and creep up to between 80 and 90 percent of the max. they recommend.

Gofaaast
04-12-2020, 07:37 PM
I typically start with 3 loads. The middle one being the middle of the range and the other two between what you just cut in half. Shoot the light loads first and load a few extra of them to season the bore. Welcome to the forum ghost!

ghost1324
04-12-2020, 07:38 PM
Welcome aboard.

I've had good luck with centerfire rifle stuff to start in the middle of recommended published loads,
and creep up to between 80 and 90 percent of the max. they recommend.

Awesome thanks. The .223 is for yotes 200 yards max and .308 will be bear/moose/deer. Bear and moose inside 300 yards and deer would be around the same yardage maybe a little further depending on terrain.

ghost1324
04-12-2020, 07:40 PM
I typically start with 3 loads. The middle one being the middle of the range and the other two between what you just cut in half. Shoot the light loads first and load a few extra of them to season the bore. Welcome to the forum ghost!

Ok is that something like ladder testing. I have been reading up and researching as much as I can. Lol

mvintx
04-12-2020, 07:43 PM
You're talking about shooting cast boolits, right?

trails4u
04-12-2020, 07:44 PM
[QUOTE=Winger Ed.;4876213]Welcome aboard.

and creep up to between 80 and 90 percent of the max. they recommend.[/QUOTE

Each rifle will tell you what it likes....but I think this is pretty good advice for a starting point. My experiences, on average (for what that's worth) seem to mirror Winger's. I often find a happy node around 90% max, after working up from mid-load levels. Then start working with COAL once you find a happy place to really dial things in.

ghost1324
04-12-2020, 07:47 PM
You're talking about shooting cast boolits, right?

Barnes are copper

Gofaaast
04-12-2020, 07:51 PM
Semi ladder I suggest for folks just starting out. Pressures spike fast with Barnes has been my experience.

ghost1324
04-12-2020, 08:06 PM
Semi ladder I suggest for folks just starting out. Pressures spike fast with Barnes has been my experience.

Ok great info thanks

Winger Ed.
04-12-2020, 08:09 PM
In my old Hornady book from the 80's, they had several articles in the front with graphs
and such showing how speed, accuracy, and pressures went up.

Where speed & accuray crossed was usually about 90-ish percent of the max loads.
Below a certain point, accuracy got better as the speed/pressure went up, then accuracy fell off going faster beyond that.

Also, the old Nosler book listed charges with their bullets, and which one was the most accurate with a particular one.
Some were most accurate at a max charge, but most fell in with accuracy being the best at about 90%.

That concept always worked well for me.
If a full house factory .30-06 round is effective to 3-400 yards--
My slightly reduced load did real, real well on the same size deer at 100 yards or so.

Downloading a bit saves some wear & tear on the weapon too.
For someone who shoots a box every couple years- its no big deal.
For me shooting a few hundred a year in any given weapon, I take that into consideration.

And I figure- in the long run, if I wanted the horse power of a .300WinMag, I need to buy one.
Trying to make a .300 out of a .30-06 might not end well.

ghost1324
04-12-2020, 08:22 PM
In my old Hornady book from the 80's, they had several articles in the front with graphs
and such showing how speed, accuracy, and pressures went up.

Where speed & accuray crossed was usually about 90-ish percent of the max loads.
Below a certain point, accuracy got better as the speed/pressure went up, then accuracy fell off going faster beyond that.

Also, the old Nosler book listed charges with their bullets, and which one was the most accurate with a particular one.
Some were most accurate at a max charge, but most fell in with accuracy being the best at about 90%.

That concept always worked well for me.
If a full house factory .30-06 round is effective to 3-400 yards--
My slightly reduced load did real, real well on the same size deer at 100 yards or so.

Downloading a bit saves some wear & tear on the weapon too.
For someone who shoots a box every couple years- its no big deal.
For me shooting a few hundred a year in any given weapon, I take that into consideration.

And I figure- in the long run, if I wanted the horse power of a .300WinMag, I need to buy one.
Trying to make a .300 out of a .30-06 might not end well.

I have the new Hornaday book. It lists that also but with the powder they suggest but I can’t get any of it. So I am going to go with benchmark cause it will work with both the loads I want to try. I will be definitely charging more then one amount of charges to try. I am going to stay away from max cause I am new and don’t want to punish my guns.

charlie b
04-12-2020, 08:30 PM
You can find a lot of info for the .223 here. They also have a page for the .308

https://www.6mmbr.com/223Rem.html

I also usually start a grain or two below the book max load. I use Sierra bullets a lot so their manuals are where I usually start. Nosler and Hogdon also have good websites for loads.

My best .223 loads (1:9 twist) are the 77gn Sierra Match King or Tipped Match King. I use mostly Varget powder but others work just as well.

ghost1324
04-12-2020, 08:37 PM
You can find a lot of info for the .223 here. They also have a page for the .308

https://www.6mmbr.com/223Rem.html

I also usually start a grain or two below the book max load. I use Sierra bullets a lot so their manuals are where I usually start. Nosler and Hogdon also have good websites for loads.

My best .223 loads (1:9 twist) are the 77gn Sierra Match King or Tipped Match King. I use mostly Varget powder but others work just as well.

Ok thanks I’ll take a look

Winger Ed.
04-12-2020, 09:13 PM
I have the new Hornaday book. and don’t want to punish my guns.

Compared to those that come here and only want confirmation of their bad practices,
Or ones that refuse to read a loading manual thinking they can be spoon fed off the internet with a few mouse clicks:

You just opened a lot of doors with that statement.

I wish you well, and look forward to hearing of your entry into this ----- addiction.:bigsmyl2:

Der Gebirgsjager
04-12-2020, 09:14 PM
You've already got lots of answers, so I'll just say Welcome! :-D

Jniedbalski
04-12-2020, 09:22 PM
I like BLC-2 in my 308 or 223. It’s a old powder and usually easy to find. Try it if you can. Iam actually getting ready to load some 223 with benchmark. Just got it

ghost1324
04-12-2020, 09:32 PM
Compared to those that come here and only want confirmation of their bad practices,
Or ones that refuse to read a loading manual thinking they can be spoon fed off the internet with a few mouse clicks:

I wish you well, and look forward to hearing of your entry into this ----- addiction.:bigsmyl2:

Wow sorry I have read it. Thanks for all the info. Was just trying to learn from someone that has done the process. Take care.

ghost1324
04-12-2020, 09:34 PM
Wow sorry I have read it. Thanks for all the info. Was just trying to learn from someone that has done the process. Take care.

Sorry I think I read that wrong. Lmao. My apologies

ghost1324
04-12-2020, 09:35 PM

Sorry I think I read your last post wrong. Sorry my apologies.

Winger Ed.
04-12-2020, 09:55 PM
Was just trying to learn from someone that has done the process. Take care.

No problem.

Yeah, you came to the right place,
there is guys on here that have had this as a major pastime or career since Moby Dick was a minnow,
and Jesus was just a Corporal.:bigsmyl2:

ghost1324
04-12-2020, 10:00 PM
No problem.

Yeah, you came to the right place,
there is guys on here that have had this as a major pastime or career since Moby Dick was a minnow,
and Jesus was just a Corporal.:bigsmyl2:

Lmao. I am waiting on my bullets to show up and then I have to go get my powder and primers and set to go. I think I have read more the last month or so then I did in school.

FLINTNFIRE
04-12-2020, 10:31 PM
Barnes bullets about as anti lead as a business can be , I agree with blc-2 and varget wc842 or wc846 there are quite a few powders that work well in both . I myself find I like to use a different powder for each depending on what bullet and weight and what it is going to be used for and then which gun and what it likes best.

ghost1324
04-18-2020, 03:22 PM
Ok so went searching for some powder. I picked up some benchmark for .223 and some IMR 4166 for .308 all others listed varget ect ect I could not get my hands on. Did some reading and see varget and 4166 are almost the same but rate and 4166 was a tad faster so I am going to give that a shot while keeping my eyes open for other powders you guys have listed.
Thanks for all the help and info.