PDA

View Full Version : K98 Barrels in 308

Leadmine
11-22-2008, 06:20 PM
For those interetsed Cole Distributing has K98 308 barrels for $100. I bought 2 so I could rebarrel a couple Century IDF K98's U-fixems that had bad bores. The barrels arrrived as described. They are very nice and set up in military configuration. They are supposed to be short chambered but I swatted mine on and they headspaced perfect! Saved me the expense and time of buying a reamer. I reattached the military sight bases to mine. Anyways, took the rifles to the range to day and they are shooting very well. Ran jacketed and cast bullets and both shot excellent.

If your looking to rebarrel a K98, you mght want to check out these barrels.

Buckshot
11-26-2008, 04:15 AM
............Darn! About 6 months ago I bought one from Brownells and paid a bunch more then that :-(

................Buckshot

mauser1959
11-30-2008, 05:54 AM
OMG , that is just what I was looking for. But I have a question , does anyone know if the thread size for the M48s are the same as for the k98ks. I have a number of K98s , but hate to rebarrel them, but have a couple of M48sporters that I actually love. I am sure that I have enough .308 NATO to last a lifetime or two. I also wonder if these barrels are strong enough to hold up to a .308 W? No matter what , if the threads will fit a M48, I will need several of them. Thanks LeadMine , good find , I sure needed this thread... Might get rid of a few K98ks with capture marks and all... only need so many of them after all.

Railbuggy
11-30-2008, 10:48 AM
Leadmine,Where can I go to shoot in Cincy with a high power rifle?I do most of my shooting under the bridge at rt50 and the WhiteWater River.

Bob S
11-30-2008, 01:45 PM
The Yugo 48 and 24/47 are garden-variety M98-type, intermediate length large ring actions. Any large-ring 98 type barrel will work. The factory barrels on these have the "safety breech", but they can be rebarreled with a regular 98 barrels. THis is a 24/47 with a Wilson .308 military profile barrel. The barrel was about $115 when I bought it from Brownell's. I'm sure they are much more than that now.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/BobS1/Mausers/308_Yugo.jpg

If a "new" barrel headspaces on your action without finish reaming the chamber, take care that there is not too much of the base of the case hanging out of the chamber.

Resp'y,
Bob S.

JIMinPHX
12-01-2008, 01:24 AM
does anyone know if the thread size for the M48s are the same as for the k98ks.

Midway has a selection of barrels for both large & small ring Mausers @ less than $100 each. The catalog also has a good little blurb on which barrels fit which rifles & how to tell them apart.