PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 44 Spl. GP100

rintinglen
04-12-2020, 02:57 PM
I no longer rush to be the first in line to buy a Ruger, no matter how much I desire the gun in question, but I have been burnt too often by Ruger's modern era "QC" to risk the aggravation involved in returning firearms. Consequently, when they came out with a mid-framed 44 Special, I delayed, being afraid of the firearms equivalent of the old "new car bugs." I am glad I finally got off the stick and bought one though. To put it in a word: wow.

First, the action is the best I ever have seen on a factory Ruger. It is smooth, much better than the other Rugers I own. It seems to be in perfect time, no spitting, nor off-center primer hits and it just plain wants to shoot. The above target was the first 20 shots fired from the revolver. Granted, it was only 7 yards, double action, slow fire, but the first five shots cut a clover leaf, all-touching just at the top of the 10 ring (please excuse the sideways picture, I can't seem to get it to rotate). The next 10 did nearly as well, shredding the center of the X-ring while I used Kentucky elevation to lower the impact. I only had 20 rounds with me, so I ran the target out to the fifteen yard line, and went single -action, head hunting with the last five rounds. I can't shoot much better than that with any iron-sighted gun. It has continued to shoot well with just about everything I have run through. Though it seems to be particularly partial to the NOE wadcutter.

That load was a hand load using the excellent NOE 432-236 wc over 4.5 grains of Red Dot. It is very accurate, at least out to 50 yards. That is the furthest that I have shot this gun. Sadly, what with retirement, moving across country, and now the corona virus self-isolation, I haven't been able to do any shooting since January. But the 280 odd rounds I have put through it have brought many a smile to my face. I replaced the over-sized factory grips with a set of more compact Altamonts. The speedloaders are HKS CAA, 5 shot, Charter Arms, but work just fine. The holster is one of my Saturday Afternoon Specials for general field carry. I will walk just about any where in the continental 48 wearing this. Did I mention it also shoots the Skeeter Load like nobody's business.

GARD72977
04-12-2020, 03:11 PM
Congrats on a successful gun purchase. Like you I'm always nervous about purchasing a new made gun. The Ruger 44Spl is very appealing to me. I have no need for a 44 mag.

Keep us posted on your progress

Biggin
04-12-2020, 06:49 PM
I'm by no means an expert on much of anything but I have learned a few things the hard way. One is to never buy the first production run of anything new. With most things made today you need to let them get the bugs worked out of it first. That said Congratulations on your 44. I'm a ruger fan myself. I still haven't got one yet.

JAC43
04-12-2020, 07:07 PM
I too got a 3” stainless 44 Special, #1761. When I tried the Ruger serial number search, it stated this model is now out of production.

I like mine, except it has more end shake brand new than any other revolver I own.

AnthonyB
04-12-2020, 07:11 PM
I don't like them. I only have one of every version. :)
Tony

onelight
04-12-2020, 07:44 PM
rintinglen I am liking mine as much as you are , it is the best shooting DA gun I have .
Wearing it right now.:-D

cupajoe
04-12-2020, 08:04 PM
I picked up a used 3 inch Talo version this past Friday. I was not looking for a .44 or a 5 shooter anything but it whispered to me. Ruger shows it shipped in 2017. Fit and finish is very good. Minimal endshake, BC gap .003, drags on .004, cylinder throats .4315-.4318, dang close, a lead slug tapped through the bore drops through the cylinder throats. Seems to have a tad bit of thread choke but I think it will be OK. Looking forward to a session with the ransom rest. I have some Accurate 43-218-L cast of AC WW and PC'd. I'm really liking those compact grips, these Hogue walnut jobs belong on a 6 inch gun, maybe.

Now to cut down some magnum brass, I was totally unprepared for this one.

Jtarm
04-14-2020, 02:56 PM
Damn, I was thinking about one of these for totin in the boonies.

My favorite all-time handgun is a 24-3, but it's a bit on the big side.

I just never could bring myself around to Ruger triggers. But I've got a GP100 10mm MC and like it. It's a almost-big-bore that my stubby fingers can handle better than a Smith N-frame.

But I've about decided the one extra round isn't going to help much.

I was thinking about a Model 69, but I don't need a magnum and I think I trust Ruger quality more than Smith these days.

Chuck Perry
04-14-2020, 09:50 PM
Beautiful revolver. Now you need the blued version with the Roper style grips :)

rintinglen
04-15-2020, 01:01 PM
Damn, I was thinking about one of these for totin in the boonies.

My favorite all-time handgun is a 24-3, but it's a bit on the big side.

I just never could bring myself around to Ruger triggers. But I've got a GP100 10mm MC and like it. It's a almost-big-bore that my stubby fingers can handle better than a Smith N-frame.

But I've about decided the one extra round isn't going to help much.

I was thinking about a Model 69, but I don't need a magnum and I think I trust Ruger quality more than Smith these days.

Never thought I'd say that, but I'm in the same boat. Ruger eventually gets it right, whereas S&W seems to be a real hit-or-miss, regardless of how long that model has been in production. And Ruger's "non-warranty" warranty service is the best in the business.

I find it amazing that Ruger, despite being under no obligation to do so--read their disclaimer in their manual some time--absolutely bends over backwards to make things right, while "life-time warranties" apparently mean that if something is not right, maybe it will get fixed in your lifetime.

bigted
04-15-2020, 07:48 PM
Honestly I never meant to buy one! Always looked at the 44 five shooter with the 3 inch barrel ... but the high price tag always drove me away ... then one day I found a brand new one on GB at a very ridiculously low price so I put a equal ridiculously low bid ... danged if I didnt win it.

Now I do not think I would ever part with it.