PDA

View Full Version : Chronograph problem

waksupi
04-02-2005, 11:06 PM
I thought I would ask you guys about a chrony problem. I'm getting a lot of error messages, and velocities that register seem quite out of line for what they should be. Any ideas? Weak battery?

Maven
04-02-2005, 11:40 PM
Ric, The last time my Chrony did that I checked the battery and found it to be the problem. If you have a volt meter/battery tester (Radio Shack has both.), check the present battery against a new one. Good luck, ...Maven

DOUBLEJK
04-03-2005, 12:20 AM
Yep....a weak battery will do that....
mine gives some purty crazy velocities when its not a good battery....
last week a 250 454190 9.0Gr. Unique load in my 45LC started showin' readin's from 383fps to 1537fps...
changed to a fresh battery n things settled right down to the expected range....which was bout 850-875fps

waksupi
04-03-2005, 03:04 AM
Thanks guys. I guess I can't ask for a cheaper fix than that, not allowing for the gas it will take to go get it!

carpetman
04-03-2005, 11:15 AM
waksupi--For most I would say get a new battery. Considering the amount of gas that HUGE pickup of yours would take,I'd say convert from chorny to stop watch. If you are real quick and do pecise Math they are just as accurate. You dont have to adjust them for daylight savings time either.

DOUBLEJK
04-03-2005, 11:22 PM
Ric
Another thing that makes mine give error's n bad readings is direct sunlight onto the sensors down in the actual case....
I've found that putting a piece of that clear scotch tape over the slot for the screen in the case werks wonders on bright days...
if I ferget :oops: to take it off on cloudy days and not enough light gets in and things go south also....

carpetman
04-03-2005, 11:33 PM
DoubleJK--If Ric(Waksupi)had any scotch tape,he'd drink it.

swheeler
04-05-2005, 03:39 PM
Ric; usually the first thing I try is the battery, but have found on sunny clear days that the bullet will reflect light and trip the screens(shinier the bullet, more likely to happen) I now carry a black felt tip marker in the box, start getting errors, I paint the bullet black. You must be working on 223, those shiny little cast bullets probably don't cast much of a shadow.

Scooter
Just as a side note; I tried 5010,872, and 860 in the 223 a few days ago at 50 yards, 5010 and 860 gave decent accuracy, about 1700 and 2100 fps respectively.

waksupi
04-05-2005, 06:42 PM
I'm thinking the Chrony may need a trip to the factory. I put in a new battery, and did a bit of shooting today. It was overcast, so wasn't dealing with bright light. First load gave readings of 1080. For five shots. Every one. No SD. Next group, velocity read at 9780. I guess I cracked the speed barrier. The military may be interested in this.
Nope, it ain't working right. The hole in the display from a wayward gascheck a couple years ago hadn't hurt it's function previously, but maybe the GC is still in there shorting things out. I'll have to take a closer look at it. I have a steel stand in front of it now, so I know there hasn't been any new whacks to it.

StarMetal
04-05-2005, 06:43 PM
One more thing too Ric, especially with a rifle with a big powder charge and that is muzzle flash if the chrono is too close. I had this problem with a 7 mag with jacketed bullets and the chono wasn't that close. Had to put a cardboard baffle up and that solved it. If the screen read out is reading cockoo even before shooting it's definately the battery. Those nine volts don't seem to last long in mine.

Joe

DOUBLEJK
04-05-2005, 09:57 PM
Yep....GC's will stop a chrono in thier tracks...
Many moons ago I was loading some shot loads for our abundunt rattler population in my .44 n had only had the chronograph for a little while.....
Decided to see what speed those were achieving so put it at 5'....
Was worried that the shot would spread fast...bout the 3rd shot a errant GC.... hit the LCD screen dead center n that was the last readin' it gave till it come back from repair with a note not to SHOOT it....

waksupi
04-05-2005, 10:37 PM
I've got the Chrony on a steel stand, ten feet from the muzzle. I've not had any trouble with muzzleblast in the past, but will try shielding it a bit more tomorrow, just in case. I may have had the stand cocked off just enough for it not to read correctly. After putting the battery in it yesterday, i sat it on top of the truck, and fired a magazine out of my pistol over it, and the readings seemed to be right in the proper neighborhood. However, I sat down with the manual, and was doing some button pushing, and the correct readings weren't coming up.

StarMetal
04-05-2005, 10:47 PM
Ric

What brand you have? On mine you can make it read metric or american by pushing...well...the buttons. Now I wonder if you changed it to metric. Just a thought.

Joe

Dan in Wa
04-07-2005, 09:34 PM
I always take a .22 (rifle or pistol) when setting up my chrony to check for gremlins. Saves on ammo and hair. Works for me. The tape thing works for me also, and keeps sand out of the screens.

utk
04-08-2005, 05:52 AM
Could be your cellphone. Happened to me a couple of times. All of a sudden the numbers were ALL over the place.
Wasn't even talking in it, but it seems the phone identifies itself at regular intervals so the operator will know which base station is closest to you if somebody wants to give you a call... That burst of RF does things to the chrono, nothing permanent but it can erase/change the stored readings (I have a ProChrono).
utk

waksupi
04-08-2005, 10:43 AM
Could be your cellphone. Happened to me a couple of times. All of a sudden the numbers were ALL over the place.
Wasn't even talking in it, but it seems the phone identifies itself at regular intervals so the operator will know which base station is closest to you if somebody wants to give you a call... That burst of RF does things to the chrono, nothing permanent but it can erase/change the stored readings (I have a ProChrono).
utk

What's a cell phone?

utk
04-08-2005, 11:26 AM
Cellular phone, mobile phone. Maybe you have another name for them, but I thought I've heard the expression "cell phone" from movies.
Here in Sweden we call them mobile phones.
Sorry if I caused any confusion.
utk

Finn45
04-08-2005, 12:37 PM
What's a cell phone?

Lol... And I almost asked You if You could advice me with email software which is capable of sending perforated carton clips as an attachment hehe. It's a bit unclear for me also if that one dollar or even fiver is collected or not, but I tried and result was wrinkled swab of greenish paper. I'll try with euros tomorrow if You tell me Your exchange rate.

Hello utk; what are You shooting? We call them Nokia btw, but usually we just call. Mine is some erik... erich... Ericsson? Yeah, Sony Ericsson it was!

waksupi
04-08-2005, 02:46 PM
Cellular phone, mobile phone. Maybe you have another name for them, but I thought I've heard the expression "cell phone" from movies.
Here in Sweden we call them mobile phones.
Sorry if I caused any confusion.
utk

Oh! They are those devices, which people apply to thier ear, so they can no longer drive!

utk
04-08-2005, 05:31 PM
Hello Finn45!

I shoot a Tikka .308 and speak in a Nokia 3330. Seems I should be on your side of the Baltic sea!
But mostly I shoot handguns, SIG and S&W.

Om du förstår Svenska så har jag en manual för Felix kulfett om du är intresserad? Skicka i så fall ett PM med din emailaddress.

utk

Bret4207
04-09-2005, 08:51 AM
Hey guys, being you're from the Finnish (?) area I have two questions.

Do you guys really use the Pukka knives by Mora that are advetised as the national knife of Finland or Sweden? Look like good designs to me.

And #2- How do you grow such freakin' beautiful women?

Jumptrap
04-09-2005, 09:31 AM
Hey guys, being you're from the Finnish (?) area I have two questions.

Do you guys really use the Pukka knives by Mora that are advetised as the national knife of Finland or Sweden? Look like good designs to me.

And #2- How do you grow such freakin' beautiful women?

I just have one thing to say on both accounts;

I have a fine Puuka or Pukka or whatever the correct name is, that made it's way here from an undisclosed source and it is a fine tool.

Secondly, I told Reijo I wanted one of those beautiful Finn women but I am still waiting, reckon I'll have to get acquainted with a Swede!!!!!!!!

utk
04-09-2005, 11:21 AM
Tpr. Bret,

I'm Urban from Sweden. We use Mora knives. They are simple working tools $5-7 or so. Used by "everyone" from boyscout to hunter (green handle, of course, and a little bit pricier). Every handyman (is that correct?) uses one, I have several.

Don't know so much about Pukka's. Maybe Finn45 can enlighten us. I might have one after my father, the name Pukka rings a faint bell. A long slender blade with a birch handle... Will have to check.

As for #2, - you'll just have to come over and find out for yourself!

utk

Finn45
04-09-2005, 05:52 PM
Oh yes, we call our basic knife "puukko". Old style Swedish Mora is pretty good example of puukko. Darn Swedes used to make very fine blade steel so it's no wonder that Moras and such are popular here. Puukko in it's purest form is just a tool without any decoration or wimpy safety features like finger guards and such. If You ask for finger guarded puukko from a traditional puukko maker he will offer You a piece with finger guard and dulled blade tip and he asks you if your kids are above six years he will suggest buying a real thing. Puukko should be sharp and always ready. Keep it sharp and you can even shave with good puukko and you don' t need water or foam when doing so; water will run from your eyes and foam dribbles out of your mouth. Talking'bout economically orientated life style. One basic feature in puukko is straight sharpening, no hollow grinds of any kind which are only spoiling wood carving qualities.

Utk, I didn't understand that " Om du förstår Svenska"-part, but my WFFelixL is fine and yes I don't feel bad having a Swede in my very narrow address list.

Mark, need for Mosin stripper clips? No, not the nude or blonde thing, the real thing. HAR!

Jumptrap
04-10-2005, 01:10 AM
Mark, need for Mosin stripper clips? No, not the nude or blonde thing, the real thing. HAR![/QUOTE]

Reijo,

Mosin stripper clips.....not really, unless the Bear invades then I might wish I had some! Mosin strippers are fairly plentiful here.

HOWEVER, I am very interested in blonde Finn, Swede or Norwegian, well endowed, beautiful smile, proper attitude, about 24 years old.....although 40 will do and of course, willing to get nude!

Maybe i could get a good deal in Estonia?

C1PNR
04-10-2005, 03:14 PM
Mark, need for Mosin stripper clips? No, not the nude or blonde thing, the real thing. HAR!

Reijo,

Mosin stripper clips.....not really, unless the Bear invades then I might wish I had some! Mosin strippers are fairly plentiful here.

HOWEVER, I am very interested in blonde Finn, Swede or Norwegian, well endowed, beautiful smile, proper attitude, about 24 years old.....although 40 will do and of course, willing to get nude!

Maybe i could get a good deal in Estonia?[/QUOTE]
Do you have a source for these, in other than Tapco? I can't seem to find any but the Tapco, which do NOT work for me. Gun show yesterday yeilded up plenty of strippers, but no real Mosin's.

StarMetal
04-10-2005, 04:30 PM
Actaully the only place I see plentiful Mosin clips are on ebay and the price is outrageous. The original clips are quite hard to find and folks are finding that the new aftermarket ones are junk. Tennessee Gun Parts said they would be happy to find a supplier of either originals or decent new ones. That company deals in this kind of stuff and the owner told me by phone that the clips are hard to find. I haven't had any luck here in TN.

Joe

JDL
04-10-2005, 08:25 PM
Tpr. Bret,

I'm Urban from Sweden. We use Mora knives. They are simple working tools $5-7 or so. Used by "everyone" from boyscout to hunter (green handle, of course, and a little bit pricier). Every handyman (is that correct?) uses one, I have several.

utk
I bought a Mora knife about 40 years ago at a little country store near home. One of the best! Several years ago, I replaced the handle with a piece of deer antler and I still use it in my shooting pouch for cutting patches for my muzzleloader. -JDL

billw
04-22-2005, 04:42 AM
I use a 6-cell AA battery box for 9 Volts rather than the single 9 Volt battery. This lasts much longer and doesn't cost much more. I use a piece of bond paper taped to my sky screens to block sunlight from overhead or side. A piece of lexan attached to the readout with "tacky" will protect the screen from gaschecks and powder grains. I had also used an "L" shaped piece of lexan to attach to the front with a bolt in the Chrony frame; it worked better to keep powder and filler(COW would sandblast the paint)from damaging the unit. I did manage to shoot it, but there was no damage, until next time, of course.