PDA

View Full Version : Are there extreme penetration bullet molds??

usmc0811
04-12-2020, 10:14 AM
I was just talking to a friend about them extreme penetration bullets that are out now. They are solid copper and have a Philips head screwdriver looking nose on them which takes the place of a traditional hollow point nose but does about the same thing without getting clogged up with tissue. Does any bullet mold manufacture make a mold to cast this style bullet? If not do you think it would work or be good? You would have to make your alloy hard toget the same effects as the copper ones.

Harter66
04-12-2020, 11:05 AM
I would think that the fins would collapse . A nice cup point should do .
For whatever it's worth a 454424 @ 250 gr will plow through a 135# pig end to end with a 1000 fps impact speed , 3 ft or so . Slowed down to 850 it'll pass through 28"+ with shields , hide , hair , and 2 ribs . Seems pretty extreme to me .

kenton
04-12-2020, 12:10 PM
Machining that mold would be tricky, I believe to make that exact shape one would have to use a sinker EDM to make the mold. You might be able to approximate the shape with a woodruff key cutter on a second operation and profiling with a small endmill on a CNC mill for a third operation. But you would need a flat point pin in the mold to make the flat point.

So i'm not sure if there is a mold like that but if there is I bet it is really expensive.
Unless there is a really easy way to make that mold that I missed. :veryconfu

USSR
04-12-2020, 12:18 PM
A heavy for caliber bullet cast from a fairly hard alloy and driven at a moderately high velocity will give you all the penetration you could want.

Don

usmc0811
04-12-2020, 02:07 PM
A heavy for caliber bullet cast from a fairly hard alloy and driven at a moderately high velocity will give you all the penetration you could want.

Don

Yes you are true. I was just curious. Hard cast lead can do some deep penetration

Dapaki
04-12-2020, 02:25 PM
Machining that mold would be tricky, I believe to make that exact shape one would have to use a sinker EDM to make the mold. You might be able to approximate the shape with a woodruff key cutter on a second operation and profiling with a small endmill on a CNC mill for a third operation. But you would need a flat point pin in the mold to make the flat point.

So i'm not sure if there is a mold like that but if there is I bet it is really expensive.
Unless there is a really easy way to make that mold that I missed. :veryconfu

A 5 axis machine would eat that mold for lunch. The bullet would be easy to bisect in the cavity and would drop easily (IMHO). The question for me is; what hardness would work best?

sharps4590
04-12-2020, 04:58 PM
What Don said.

kenton
04-12-2020, 09:00 PM
A 5 axis machine would be able to make that mold easily. In fact a 4 axis machine would be able to machine every operation I described in 1 setup. But once again time on a 4 or 5 axis machine is very expensive. I have never seen how molds are commercially manufactured but I assume if not on a specialized machine then they use a standard 3 axis mill and use a form tool/cherry to cut the cavity in a single cut.
If one wanted to 3d profile the cavity you would have to accept radi in all the corners to allow for a tiny ball nosed endmill but once again tiny end mills are slow, so expensive.

WinchesterM1
04-13-2020, 12:43 AM
That is a Lehigh defense bullet, I worked on developing the EP and also the Cavitators

megasupermagnum
04-13-2020, 07:04 PM
Instead of thinking about the mold, think about a hollow point pin. Call Erik at Hollowpointmolds.com. He can likely convert any mold you want to cast something very similar to that.

I'm in the camp that it would not gain you anything. You can balance penetration/wounding capability by varying the meplat size. Some of the deepest penetrating bullets made were designed by JD Jones with his SSK designs. His 44 magnum 330 grain (310 gr with Linotype alloy) was used to shoot elephant.

samari46
04-14-2020, 01:02 AM
Not trying to be funny so please don't take it that way. The old 45/70 and other large bore calibers have been taking buffalo and other large critters for years. 500 grain or heavier bullet 1200-1300 feet per second. Friend of mine knew a farmer who sometimes had folks over for buffalo barbecue. Talk revolved around actually shooting a buffalo. Farmer had one that needed to be culled from the herd. Arrangements were made and buddy shows up with one of his sharps in 45/70. Bang one shot and the buff dropped like a bag of rocks. Said the meat was delicious. Frank

Mal Paso
04-15-2020, 09:31 PM
Looks like they reduced the bullet nose to on to overcome the lower mass of a copper bullet. Likely not an issue with lead.

pashiner
04-18-2020, 10:57 AM
What if perhaps a cheap, available base-pour mold was modified to accept a core pin that was shaped to produce that nose profile? The machining would be easier I'd imagine.