PDA

View Full Version : Tang peep sight

Caballero2
04-12-2020, 09:13 AM
Hello, I recently picked up a Remington Rolling block rifle in 7mm Mauser. This is a very clean example with a great bore. It is also very accurate.
My problem is the small v-notch rear sight. My old eyes can barely see this sight.
Does anyone know of a tang mounted peep sight that would be compatible with this rifle. There is only one tang screw.
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Joe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kenton
04-12-2020, 09:40 AM
I believe you will have to drill another hole to mount a tang sight. Marbles makes a sight that is intended for Remington rolling blocks.

http://www.marblearms.com/standard-peep-tang-sight.html
If you scroll down there are charts that list: what sight fit what firearm, what firearm fits what sight, and dimensions of each sight.

varsity07840
04-12-2020, 10:21 AM
Assuming your rifle is in as issued condition and you're concerned about keeping it that way, I can suggest what I did with my 1871 Springfield roller. I bought a Williams receiver sight for the Browning BAR semi auto. It has a concave base. I mounted it on the barrel just ahead of the receiver with Loc Tite Black Max which is available from Brownell's. It takes a good wack with a light hammer to knock it off and a patch soaked in lacquer thinner left on the spot for several hours with remove the glue. I use it with out the peep insert as a ghost ring. My 70 year old eyes really like it.

pietro
04-12-2020, 10:23 AM

Welcome to the forum ! ! :2_high5:

Caballero2
04-12-2020, 10:27 AM
Varsty07840, where can I locate one of these sights? I would rather not drill and tap a hole if I don’t have to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marlinman93
04-12-2020, 11:00 AM
To be correctly done it will take two holes for a Remington rifle. Remington didn't use the stock tang screw as one of the holes. And Remington factory spacing is 1.937" centers.
But I'd do as suggested and put a sight on that doesn't modify the gun, or require drilling and tapping. Remington receivers were casehardened and it's easy to snap a bit or tap off trying to D&T for a tang sight; even a carbide bit!

Caballero2
04-12-2020, 11:12 AM
Thanks everyone, I’m thinking I will need a taller front sight if I use the Williams receiver sight?

ascast
04-12-2020, 11:18 AM
Assuming your rifle is in as issued condition and you're concerned about keeping it that way, I can suggest what I did with my 1871 Springfield roller. I bought a Williams receiver sight for the Browning BAR semi auto. It has a concave base. I mounted it on the barrel just ahead of the receiver with Loc Tite Black Max which is available from Brownell's. It takes a good wack with a light hammer to knock it off and a patch soaked in lacquer thinner left on the spot for several hours with remove the glue. I use it with out the peep insert as a ghost ring. My 70 year old eyes really like it.

Epoxy will also last for years

varsity07840
04-12-2020, 11:42 AM
Thanks everyone, I’m thinking I will need a taller front sight if I use the Williams receiver sight?

I needed one on the roller, 2 trapdoors and a Sharps carbine that I used them on. Not hard to fabricate. Or you can but one at www.ssfirearms.com. Click on gun parts, then rifle/carbine parts, then US rifle/musket. Scroll down to 1861 Springfield, then to page 4. Second row, extreme right. Front sight. Note the radius bottom of the base. Tall blade. Solder or glue it on.

varsity07840
04-12-2020, 11:43 AM
Varsty07840, where can I locate one of these sights? I would rather not drill and tap a hole if I don’t have to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got mine from Brownells, but other vendors carry them. Midway come to mind.

koger
04-12-2020, 11:44 AM
Man whatever you do, don't bubba it up. These are hard to find in that condition, I got one a few months back, all original, and it took me over 20 years to fine one with a mint bore, bluing and casehardening.

varsity07840
04-12-2020, 01:03 PM
Man whatever you do, don't bubba it up. These are hard to find in that condition, I got one a few months back, all original, and it took me over 20 years to fine one with a mint bore, bluing and casehardening.

That's the idea of the glue on Williams. No holes drilled, and easy removal pf the glue with out sanding or scraping. I forgot to mention that if you put on a taller front sight, don't take the old one off. If you use the Springfield sight, put it behind the original. Another option is a tall blade with a notch on the bottom to fit over the original sight base and blade, sort of like a saddle. I do understand you point about the bubba thing. All my original BPCRs are primarily shooters. They're not collector grade. But I don't want them butchered either.