PDA

View Full Version : very small tubeless tires

JRLesan
04-11-2020, 10:33 PM
So, how does one demount and remount the little (11X500-6 and smaller) tubeless tires the 'easy' way? I'm not talking about a nice new pliable tire but an old, stiff, well worn one. I manage to get it done with vise grips, a big vise, screwdrivers, and other versions of itons but must be an easier or simpler way.

cwtebay
04-11-2020, 10:46 PM
You can create a bead breaker like the tire shops have by having someone hold a spud bar in the center, getting a long flat screwdriver under the bead and walking the screwdriver around the bar - repeat on the opposite bead to remove the tire. Go in reverse order to mount the new tire.
If it's dried out / old rubber - a healthy dose of dishsoap will help with the process.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Alstep
04-11-2020, 10:49 PM
I'll be watching this one. Always struggled with the little ones. I'd rather change a 38 inch tractor tire!

Winger Ed.
04-12-2020, 01:07 AM
To break the bead, lay the tire on the ground, put a board on it, then drive a lawn tractor or even a car up onto the board.
It'll mash the bead right down. I learned that from doing rear tractor tires.

If you have trouble getting the bead back up, soap the bead,
wrap a rope or ratchet strap around the center of the tire and start tightening it as you air it up.
It'll climb right back on.

sigep1764
04-12-2020, 01:55 AM
Break the bead by leaving the tire on the trailer or vehicle and use the weight of the vehicle to break the bead. To reset the bead, Ive done as above, a ratchet strap around the diameter of the tire, cinched up tight.

brass410
04-12-2020, 06:58 AM
So, how does one demount and remount the little (11X500-6 and smaller) tubeless tires the 'easy' way? I'm not talking about a nice new pliable tire but an old, stiff, well worn one. I manage to get it done with vise grips, a big vise, screwdrivers, and other versions of itons but must be an easier or simpler way.

I find the easiest way is to have someone else do it, as most of the smaller rim tire combinations arnt meant to be changed. The easiest way to tell is look closely near the bolt holes if there's a series of punch welds there between the holes its a throwaway, sure if your determined enoughyou can pry /wrestle a new tire on but it's sure not worth effort at least not mine.

metricmonkeywrench
04-12-2020, 07:35 AM
The smaller ones are a pain. I generally clamp them by the axle stub in my 3in bench vice so I don’t have to chase them around the table. I have not had one stuck so hard I had to drive over it, I use a combination of Round and flat pry bars and a overly large screwdriver to work the bead loose. The real trick once loose from the bead seat you have to compress one side down into the wheel valley in order to get some slack to work the other side off the rim. Sometimes this is the back of wheel Is easier than the front. A large C-clamp may help compress the tire and act as that 3rd hand. Unless completely shredded I usually just do one side and throw in a tube to gain a couple more years of use.

Gewehr-Guy
04-12-2020, 08:18 AM
I find it helps to use lots of cuss words for demounting, and a shot of ether for inflating:kidding: The idea of using a ratchet strap for seating the beads i'll need to try.

gwpercle
04-12-2020, 09:05 AM
After fighting with those stupid tubeless tires off my hand truck (dolly) Both coming off and going on .
I went down to the home depot and bought two solid tires of the same diameter...problem solved easily . Bonus ...no air required and they can't go flat .
Gary

gwrench
04-12-2020, 09:23 AM
In addition to these ideas, it helps to get them warm, or hot if have a way to do it. Set them in the sun on a hot day works.

We have an old oven at work that we use for such things. 15 minutes at 200 degrees does wonders.

MrWolf
04-12-2020, 09:35 AM
To break the bead, lay the tire on the ground, put a board on it, then drive a lawn tractor or even a car up onto the board.

wrap a rope or ratchet strap around the center of the tire and start tightening it as you air it up.

Setting the bead this. I never tried breaking it this way. Usually a lot of cussing to break it. Timely as I am putting a tube in my cub cadet as my plug didn't last. First time I tryied a plug.

Dapaki
04-12-2020, 09:51 AM
Harbor freight has a manual tire changer that works well. If it fits, throw the tire/rim into the oven after its been preheated to 180, leave it there for an hour. Vulcanized rubber softens well but is also a mess with cheap rubber. What are the tires for?

metricmonkeywrench
04-12-2020, 02:14 PM
Never tried a plug on these, I don’t think they are thick enough in the tread area to hold them in. I have always been a bigger fan of internal patches for full size tires, plugs just never seem to hold for me.

Bazoo
04-12-2020, 03:33 PM
I had a wheelbarrow tire I couldn't get to seat once no matter what I tried. I ended up using grease to seal the gap on one side so it would take air. Worked like a charm.

I've tried the rope and ratchet thing and it has worked some of the time.

Anytime you're trying to seat a bead, remove the valve stem core and just press your air hose quick connector (no tire chuck) against the stem and it will shoot air in the tire. Then when you get it stop the air with your finger and reinsert the core.

Rapidrob
04-12-2020, 03:37 PM
Soak the tire submerged in water and a little dish soap overnight. The tire will become much softer and is less of a hassle to get off of the rim. I learned that trick 55 years ago.

Bazoo
04-12-2020, 05:30 PM
Thanks rapidrob.

MrWolf
04-12-2020, 07:06 PM

Thank you sir. Think it took me all of twenty minutes to go from tubeless to tubed. I didnt even have to pull the tire off the rim on one side. Managed with some soapy water to get the tube to go in. Easiest one I have ever done. This was on my cub cadet front tire.

Mk42gunner
04-12-2020, 07:49 PM
I learned working at attire shop in high school that there is NO EASY WAY to deal with small (lawn mower sized) tires. I would much rather mount and install two steering axle tires mounted on Dayton rims than deal with one lawnmower tire.

The easy way is to pay someone else to do it.

The cheap way involves lots of cussing.

Robert

JM7.7x58
04-12-2020, 08:31 PM
Be careful with the little welded split rim tires when inflating them. One day years ago when I was fitting and welding pipe at a paper mill, I saw a guy blow a hand cart wheel in two. He took it in the face, over sixty stitches. Destroyed his safety glasses. Good thing for him that he was actually wearing them, or he would have lost an eye.
When they blowup they go to the side. Don’t put your face or body to the side when filling these small welded tire rims.
It’s also a good idea to replace this type of tire/wheel when they get good and rusty. To avoid a blow out.
JM

DougGuy
04-12-2020, 08:42 PM
I just had a pressure washer to convert to electric start in my shop, of course it had the Chinese tires on it and of course they will NOT hold air more than a day or two. Walk into Northern Tools or Tractor Supply and pick up any one of the dozens of newly minted wheels with Chinese tires both tube and tubeless, you won't find 2 out of a hundred that will hold air.

If you google flat free 11x4 (or whatever your tire size is) you will find gobs of 8", 10", 11" tires with both 5/8" and 3/4" axles, 3", 4" and 5" hub lengths, you'd be much better off just ordering some off amazon and replacing the pneumatic tires altogether.

I am waiting on two 11x400-5 flat free wheels with 3" centered hubs and 3/4" axle bore. The tires that are coming off had a 2" hub length and spacers on each side that I can simply shorten by 1" to make the new wider hubs fit and work.

wildwilly501
04-13-2020, 08:23 AM
I never could understand why they put pneumatic tires on air compressers and pressure washers.Putting a tube in is one fix I just put flat free or solid tires on end of problem

Iowa Fox
04-14-2020, 02:12 AM
I had a junk wheelbarrow tire that would go flat over night every day. I got a coupon for a free bottle of that sticky tire goop from the local farm supply place. I got my bottle and dumped it into the tire and have only had to give it just a little air a couple of times in the last ten years plus. I hated that tire so bad I didn't mind giving it the sticky treatment.