PDA

View Full Version : Swiss fines

jednorris
04-11-2020, 04:45 PM
I have been shooting Swiss 1-1/2 for a while and currently have about eight un-opened cans of the same lot number. I have heard a lot about "fine" the powder dust that finds it's way to the bottom of the can. I have been told that as the can empty's I will get different compression and velocity and that sounds reasonable. I have also been told that Swiss "Caviar" has been double screened and is therefore a better choice. Would it be worth my while to re- screen the powder I have in hopes of making it a better grade or am I chasing windmills ?.

Gunlaker
04-11-2020, 05:43 PM
I've had problems with excess fines in Goex Express and Goex Old Eynesford, but never in Swiss. Personally I wouldn't bother.

Chris.

kokomokid
04-12-2020, 07:29 AM
When I screened Swiss powder I was surprised at how little fines I sifted out. The Caviar 3F powder shot good for me but crushing any of the nice round little balls defeats the purpose of using this powder. Heavy Swiss 1-1/2 with very light compression shot both faster and more accurate for me. YMMV

DAVIDMAGNUM
04-12-2020, 08:17 AM
I have never seen Swiss black powder other than the Caviar type. I have used Swiss 2F and 1 1/2F for years. These powders are polished and uniform in granule size. The appearance is of a quality smokeless powder. I have never seen fines from Swiss Caviar AND lot to lot uniformity is amazing.
I also have recently been doing load development with two powders I acquired with a rifle purchase. Goex Cartridge and Elephant 2F both have visually noticeable fines. The Elephant 2F creates a dust cloud when pouring into my powder measure.
Just my observations.

wade
02-19-2023, 01:55 PM
i just dumped about 1/2 inch from a can of swiss1 1/2 the bottom had a lot of fines ,i noticed the compression effort changed , so had a look, it says swiss supreme sporting powder no-4 , this is my first swiss, so dont know much , have always used goex,, wade

wade
02-19-2023, 03:21 PM
i just dumped about 1/2 inch from the bottom of a can of swiss 1 1/2 , a lot of fines, no-4 swiss

GregLaROCHE
02-19-2023, 09:10 PM
It’s probably a good idea to turn the container over and shake it each time before using. That should keep your loads more consistent.

Sam Sackett
02-19-2023, 09:45 PM
It’s probably a good idea to turn the container over and shake it each time before using. That should keep your loads more consistent.

That’s what I was thinking…..
Sam Sackett

wade
02-20-2023, 04:58 AM
i think i will try for the cavier type if i can get a choice ,,wade

M-Tecs
02-20-2023, 05:37 AM
i think i will try for the cavier type if i can get a choice ,,wade

I am not sure, but it appears that was discontinued a while ago. When it came out about ten years ago a friend got some to try for BPCR. After testing he opted to stay with the standard type of granules. I've never tried so I have no personal experience with it. If it becomes readily available, I would like to give it a go. Unless I could get more it would not be with working up loads for competition.

armoredman
02-20-2023, 08:43 AM
Um, quick question from a relative newby - "fines"?

Sasquatch-1
02-20-2023, 09:33 AM
Powder that is a lot smaller than the intended size. Kind of like the stuff at the bottom of a cereal box when you're down to the last bowl.