PDA

View Full Version : Why The Fitz?

M-Tecs
04-11-2020, 12:38 AM
https://revolverguy.com/why-the-fitz/?fbclid=IwAR2eNdyuYXh095hwTm_ohEEHnj7Ho7cJUx17DHVK KgXPPvKPv4RBRRfPVpc#more-7893

Recently, there has been a lot of interest and posts on “Fitz” revolvers on social media. I simply shake my head at the level of pontification and commentary by folks who have absolutely no concept of the reason they existed and what the intent was in their creation. There is a huge disconnect, so I thought I would do a post to explain the historical significance of these guns.
I’m not going to take much space or time here, I just want to welcome Darryl Bolke to RevolverGuy! Darryl is going to be giving us some great historical information, as well as bringing us some revolver-carrying LEO perspective. -Justin

THE “FITZ” BEHIND THE FITZ
The “Fitz” Revolvers were the brainchild of John Henry Fitzgerald. He was active as a NY State Trooper and Police firearms instructor. He also had a strong background in combatives, and he was a competitive shooter. Fitzgerald was a representative for Colt from 1918 to 1944, wrote one of the premier books about Shooting in the 1930’s and was an advocate for much of the technique we use today (two handed grip and combative shooting). He was the right guy in an era that I am enthralled with.

You have a time when modern urban centers are becoming large modern metropolitan centers. The country is transitioning to automotive and powered transportation from horses. The roaring Twenties was a real thing with massive leaps made in technology and lifestyles. It also brought Prohibition and the first equivalent of the “War on Drugs”. Add the Depression and desperate people and you have a real cocktail of a massive increase in crime, violence, and the responses to it.

THE GUNS
While guns like the excellent Colt Hammerless 1903/08’s were the Glock 42 of the era, they lacked in some ergonomic features for rapid deployment and also not very impressive ballistics in the ammunition of the day. Because “Fitz” was very in tune with crime and working in the urban NY area he developed some of the first concealed carry guns for dedicated use in the urban environment against urban criminals.

John Fitzgerald starting modifying guns to address the threats and conditions of the day. Barrels were cut short. Sights were retained. Hammers bobbed to prevent a snagged draw from pockets that were becoming a popular means for urban carry. Visible carrying of firearms in the urban environment has never been socially acceptable and even uniformed law enforcement often carried their firearms concealed.

The most noticeable modification – and the one that that causes the most hysteria today – was the removal of the front of the trigger guards on Fitz’s modified guns. Again, we look at the era. These guns had heavy double action triggers. They were being advocated to be shot at close ranges that we describe to day with fancy acronyms and initials. Essentially, the Fitz was meant to be deployed while entangled with an opponent during an attack or robbery.

It was an era when men wore much different attire. Heavy, organic-fiber overcoats before our fancy synthetics and modern lightweight materials. Gloves were also made from thicker and stiffer materials, and were not like the thin material types we can make today. These guns were designed to be grasped in the pockets with possibly a gloved hand, lifted out by the triggers that had weights in excess of the gun and fired immediately upon clearing the pockets or the garment. Because of the cut triggers they could also be fired inside the pocket even with gloves. This is not like doing this with a modern striker trigger system. John Fitzgerald had leather holsters sewn in his coat pockets for these guns.

The era also was very well before we understood about things like startle, overflow and postular disturbance causing unconscious constriction of the hand resulting in a negligent discharge. Like most of the cops trained in the revolver era, I was taught to always have a finger resting on the trigger of a drawn revolver….and that was a mere 32 years ago in 1988. We really didn’t figure out how important trigger finger discipline was until the popularity of the Glock pistol.

The long heavy DA pulls on most revolvers and DA/SA autos did not fully mitigate the issues mentioned above, but they helped. Most negligent discharges in the revolver age were due to manually cocking the hammer into single action… which was near impossible on a true Fitz with a bobbed hammer. It has been doctrine right up till today for some organizations and trainers to cock DA guns for difficult shots. This is unnecessary and most squared away folks figured out that this is a terrible practice ages ago.

I spoke to my old friend and original mentors Roy Huntington about this subject. Roy added that he had seen an old video of Fitz who stated that what gave him the idea to cut the trigger guard was for weapon retention. The means of taking a revolver from a user when someone is attempting to disarm the person holding the revolver is to use lateral force against the trigger finger. Removal of the trigger guard allowed the finger to release and not be broken when trying to counter the disarm. Again, Fitz was one of the earliest defensive tactics, close quarters combatives, and certainly “gun grappling” instructors out there working in the modern metropolitan environment and this shows where his very forward thinking was.

What I also find humorous is that many of the very popular holsters were designed to have a trigger finger inserted into the trigger guard during the initial grip on the gun. The Fitz basically allowed the same thing from pocket carry, yet is demonized.

So, instead of trying to apply modern doctrine to bad mouth those who set the cornerstones of modern handgun combatives, maybe we should appreciate the work of guys like John Fitzgerald, Charles Askins, Lone Wolf Gonzaullas, Bob Nichols, Rex Applegate and many others who basically wrote the book on the deployment and use of snub revolvers 8-10 decades ago.

I own a couple Fitz revolvers. One is a Colt Detective Special that has an very unique history and has been carried in harms way for decades around the world. It was not a factory Fitz, but based on the work was likely sent back to Colt to have the conversion done. My other is Bob Nichols’ personal S&W Fitz M&P 2” that is documented in Bob’s book about double action shooting from 1948. Also pictured is Bob Nichols’ Detective Special Fitz conversion, and a Colt factory Fitz New Service made for the famous Texas Ranger, Captain Clint Peoples, who served as a Texas lawman from 1930 to the early 70’s. These were guns meant for serious use by serious gunmen.

Obviously, no firearms company would build a revolver minus the front trigger guard today. It is unnecessary and adds some significant negatives. By the same token, we also don’t have cars without seatbelts and air bags either. It would be like saying most of our classic performance cars are stupid and ruined because they don’t have air bags. They are simply from a different time. Time and development brings evolution. I will post further on an example of that. Suffice to say that the Fitz Guns led to the modern snub revolver that I carry daily. That is significant.

stubshaft
04-11-2020, 03:17 AM
Thanks, great read!

MrWolf
04-11-2020, 06:52 AM
Interesting. Thanks.

357Mag
04-11-2020, 09:32 AM
Mtech -

Howdy !

How close to being a “ Fitz “ would you say Ed Mc Givern’s record setting gun(s) were/are ?

For my carry gun, I wholly embraced use of a .357Mag “N” frame; w/ .357Mag loads.
My custom revolver is based on a surplus NYSP M-520, which I chose for its fixed sight frame.
This frame size and trigger pull length also fit my large hands much better than the S&W “Js”, “Ks”; “Ls”.
For recoil control reasons and to help keep energy levels up, I chose 4” barrel length. My revolver’s barrel is also a custom heavy straight 4” bull, whose added weight also helps with recoil mitigation.
Another result of the heavy barrel, is that front sight height is minimized; and is much less than that seen of a factory S & W “N” frame .357Mag’s of any style.

Instead of the fully-opened front trigger guard, I went the Bill Jordan route... and had the right side of the trigger guard thinned 1/2 width; which lets the trigger finger enter the guard a little more readily than the standard width guard; and also gives a perfect position to rest the trigger finger until it is needed for firing. The trigger is S&W’s smooth “ combat “ style.

I did go w/ a fully-bobbed hammer, which gives me a lot of piece of mind when carrying the gun concealed under a loose shirt. “DA....all-the-way !”. This is no pocket gun! When carried OWB strong side, I cover using a vest. When carried under a loose fitting shirt, I retain the gun in a Bianchi “ pistol pocket “ made for a M-19; but which I stretched to accomodate the larger “N”. Both my modified pistol pocket holsters and my Ken Null custom OWB ultra high ride slide holster feature exposed trigger/trigger guards. I myself am not a great candidate for carrying a revolver w/ a fully open front trigger guard....but that’s just me.

I had the gun finished in Manganese Phosphate, which has superbly resisted corrosion from carrying the gun IWB in the small of the back; in hot/humid/salt-laden conditions.

Chosen carry load is Remington 125JHPs.

Thanx for superb post !

With regards,
357Mag

357Mag
04-11-2020, 09:42 AM
Oops -

Forgot to mention: Stocks I use are custom Herrett’s “ Jordan Trooper “ style, which feature materiel on the outside of the back strap; an aid in helping the stocks fit my hand size/ trigger pull length much better. I had Herrett’s include a well thought out speed loader access reliefs, which also gives my thumb a nice positioning when the gun is drawn....held....fired. Smooth Goncalo Alves.

Upper holster mold lines are cut to mimmic the upper curve of the Lt stock panel ( I am Rt handed j.

With regards,
357Mag

contender1
04-11-2020, 09:58 AM
An excellent tutorial on TRUE history. Thanks for posting it.

willowbend
04-11-2020, 10:06 AM
thanks for the post!

lotech
04-11-2020, 10:07 AM
There is nothing really worthy of argument here, but it seems the essay centers on gunfighting theory almost to the point of obsession. Carry an unmodified, out-of-the-box-snub nose revolver daily for many years without a holster. Pay close attention to the number of times it was actually difficult to get a finger into the trigger guard quickly and how often the hammer really did snag on something when drawing the gun. Same goes for 1911s with cutaway trigger guards.

Instances of hypothetically-created problems using unmolested revolvers are likely no more common, maybe even less common, than instances of accidental discharges or light hammer strikes with the same guns in the described altered conditions.

thegatman
04-11-2020, 10:18 AM
If you watch enough Blue Bloods you will see that the commissioner carries a “Fitz”.

Biggin
04-11-2020, 11:01 AM
Great post! Thanks for sharing!

rintinglen
04-11-2020, 11:45 AM
Ed McGivern's 6.5 inch 38-44 N-frames were not comparable to the Fitz Specials, any more than a Ruger Super Redhawk is to a Chief's Special. Nor were they intended for the same purposes. The Fitz Specials were intended for close range, urban environments. I was privileged to handle and cycle the action of an "Official" Fitz Official Police, some years back and it was a fine example of a snub-nosed 38. If one could refrain from panicking at the cut off trigger guard, that is.
Made in the days before the Detective Special and Banker Special Revolvers, back when snubbies were mostly 5 shot, 32 or 38 S&W's, the sawed off Fitz Specials filled a certain need for powerful, compact concealable firearms. Some were made from Colt New Century revolvers, some from Army Special, but most were cut-down Police Positives, or later, after 1928 their derivatives. They were copied by many. I have seen two S&W M&P's that had been given the "Fitz" treatment, as well as a crudely cut-down, 41 Colt Army Special with an unusual letter from a Pittsburgh mobster (IIRC) explaining that he was on the spot and selling his pistol to try to get away from certain death.
However, once the true Snubbies, the afore-mentioned Detective Specials and the Banker Special 38 S&W in 1928, followed by the 2" M&P as a catalog item in 1936 and the 38 S&W Terrier about the same time, the niche filled by the Fitz Special was pretty well covered by standard catalog items.

Norske
04-11-2020, 12:59 PM
Back in my college days, I knew a Deputy US Marshal who removed the front of the trigger guard from his business 1911. He did it because in his former days as a Border Patrolman in El Paso, a number of his fellow officers tore the nail off their trigger finger when things got really interesting. He also said they didn't notice the pain until the gunfight was over.

Oyeboten
04-11-2020, 03:15 PM
People were doing this before Mr. Fitzgerald was doing it at Colt.

Sometimes for Winter Gloves, other times for other reasons.

Mr. Fitzgerald merely formalized it as a 'Special Order' option from or for Colt.

Bobbed Hammers and or "Hammerless" Revolvers were well known and offered by several makers of DA Revolvers by the 1880s...as were folding Hammer Spurs so as not to snag when drawing from IWB or Coat Pocket, etc.

I love the old actual 'Fitz Specials', but he did not originate the modifications...he simply adopted them to be a Special Order option for Colt.

One could 'Fitz' the S & W K-Frame m1899 and 1902 very neatly...but not as neatly with the m1905 with it's famed ( and in the way for this ) "fifth Screw".

Texas by God
04-11-2020, 08:57 PM
Colt made a Fitz .38 PP Special for Charles Lindbergh after the kidnapping.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

GSP7
04-12-2020, 11:39 AM
I thought it was about Flitz

megasupermagnum
04-12-2020, 11:35 PM
There is nothing really worthy of argument here, but it seems the essay centers on gunfighting theory almost to the point of obsession. Carry an unmodified, out-of-the-box-snub nose revolver daily for many years without a holster. Pay close attention to the number of times it was actually difficult to get a finger into the trigger guard quickly and how often the hammer really did snag on something when drawing the gun. Same goes for 1911s with cutaway trigger guards.

Instances of hypothetically-created problems using unmolested revolvers are likely no more common, maybe even less common, than instances of accidental discharges or light hammer strikes with the same guns in the described altered conditions.

From what I gather, the bobbing of the hammer seems to be more of a block to force you to shoot double action, the preferred defensive method. I too carry a revolver with the hammer it came with. I can tell you how many times the hammer has cough on something, 0. My own hand is another story. Perfect practice makes perfect, and a hammer is no detriment to me. I wear regular tee shirts, nothing special.

As for the cutaway trigger guard, that does kind of stump me. Maybe for thick gloves, but I wouldn't wear thick gloves as a police officer. The broken finger thing seems strange to me. I wouldn't want my finger broken, but at the same time it seems like a small problem.

As said, those guns were a product of the time, and it seems many of those features are no longer needed. It is interesting to read.

Oyeboten
04-13-2020, 03:06 AM

There are a lot of "Flitz Specials" out there too of course!

Oyeboten
04-13-2020, 03:10 AM
What a lot of people seem to miss, is that Bobbed Hammers and cut-away Trigger Guard fronts were features people had or have, because they as individuals wanted or want those features.

No one ever in the entire history of all this, has imposed these modifications on any one else, even if being wrongly taken to be doing so by advocating them for themselves.

If you do not want those modifications then do not have them.

There is nothing complicated about it.

georgerkahn
04-13-2020, 07:54 AM
Thank you for posting this informative, well written article! If you might post a picture or your Fitz, I'd really be appreciative. 'Specially the trigger guard area?
BEST!
geo

thegatman
04-13-2020, 12:09 PM

Baltimoreed
04-13-2020, 12:30 PM
Here’s my pre model 10 Smith that I Fitz’ed. Rebarreled it and slicked up the action.

Martin Luber
04-13-2020, 03:19 PM
His 1930 book "Shooting" is 421 pages and well worth reading.

JoeJames
04-13-2020, 03:38 PM
And then there's Jim Bob (My name for anyone that buggers up a rare Smith). In my case I bought sight unseen what the caller described as an airweight snub nose Smith for $200. Woman brought it in, and it was sight to behold: hammer ground off pretty much, trigger guard ground off partially, and a set of K frame plastic stag grips. I replaced the hammer with one that did not show grinder marks, replaced the grips with decent Smith grips, but there was nothing I could do about the half ground off trigger guard. And this is one of the rare Smith airweights with the aluminum alloy cylinder.

lawdog941
04-13-2020, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the info. I remember reading about the Fitz in the 90's in a magazine. It was a 1917 IIRC.

LAH
04-13-2020, 10:08 PM
Enjoyed the read.

Eddie Southgate
04-13-2020, 11:48 PM
Tom Selleck carries a Detective Special in Blue Bloods but I never noticed it having a butchered trigger guard . Goatman , are you saying one being featured in a TV show makes it a good an acceptable thing ?

NoZombies
04-14-2020, 01:03 AM
It's ugly, but carries beautifully. Though it's mostly just a fishing gun, 2 rounds of shot and 3 type 3 wadcutters.

http://nozombies.com/ugly-1.JPG

toot
04-14-2020, 11:41 AM
now that is a history lesion!!

EMC45
04-14-2020, 12:10 PM

I did too!:-D

Texas by God
04-14-2020, 02:39 PM
A "Flitz" special would be very shiny if done correctly[emoji16]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

georgerkahn
04-14-2020, 02:56 PM
Thank you for posting the photo! I dug out my Detective Special (as from factory ;) ). I appreciate all the delightful information you provided on them, but after both reading it and looking at my in-hand Colt while trying to imagine it with the front half of trigger guard gone -- I still ask myself the question, "why?". If *I* were to design such, I'd have the trigger guard which was removed on a hinge, with said hinge at bottom of frame -- e.g., top end of removed on Fitz -- trigger guard. That way, to my thinking, the remaining piece of trigger guard would -- by it being there -- stop further movement, in essence being a non-modified revolver. On the other hand, any forward motion -- be it a gloved finger or rapid action directed by circumstance -- one would -- I would think (?) be an immensely safer end product doing essentially the same thing. Maybe... maybe not.
The "COVID-19 House Arrest" afford maybe tooooo much time for thought....:)
geo