PDA

View Full Version : OK Ec spurts......

beagle
12-19-2005, 02:07 PM
Friend in VT has a 6.5 round. Has a 262.5 grain condom bullet. Bullet has three or four slits in the jacket running along the axis. The bullet sits on a card wad that acts as an overpowder wad.

What is it?????/beagle

Scotty
12-19-2005, 06:52 PM
Looks like a 6.5 carcano sentry round... http://personal.stevens.edu/~gliberat/carcano/ammo/history.html
Multiple Ball/"Cartuccia a mitraglia"
There are two types, both use the standard cartridge case and contain a very long (about 2"/50.8mm), however it is seated deep and the overall length of the cartridge is the same as a ball round) bullet that is made of a jacket with closed bottom and open top with 3 (or sometimes 4) slits cut lengthwise through its sides, inside are 6 clyndrical lead slugs stacked on top of each other. It uses a reduced powder charge. In the older style the top slug is actually a small full metal jacket bullet. In the later type, the top slug is lead and the lead tip is exposed at the top of the bullet. The later type seams to have come out about 1937. This was a round for short range work (it would be an excellent choice for a sentry on night duty), its effective range was likely less that 50 yards, and its effect is like a small buckshot charge. These cartridges are not rare, so they must have been issued in fairly large numbers.

Scotty, :redneck:

beagle
12-19-2005, 08:07 PM
Scotty....Think you're getting close. Since I posted, I happened to think of Roy Dunlap's "Ordnance Went Up Front". I checked it and he describes a experimental round that seperated into 11 pieces with slots the full length (page 48). Quoted velocity was reported as 1,083 FPS. That kinda goes along with the heavy weight.

Based on this, I'd say this is an experimental anti personnel round.

Not cast but kind of an interesting concept. Sort of a complicated duplex round like we experimented with in the US Army in the 60s in VN. I still wonder about stabilization with a bullet that long???/beagle

Looks like a 6.5 carcano sentry round... http://personal.stevens.edu/~gliberat/carcano/ammo/history.html
Multiple Ball/"Cartuccia a mitraglia"
There are two types, both use the standard cartridge case and contain a very long (about 2"/50.8mm), however it is seated deep and the overall length of the cartridge is the same as a ball round) bullet that is made of a jacket with closed bottom and open top with 3 (or sometimes 4) slits cut lengthwise through its sides, inside are 6 clyndrical lead slugs stacked on top of each other. It uses a reduced powder charge. In the older style the top slug is actually a small full metal jacket bullet. In the later type, the top slug is lead and the lead tip is exposed at the top of the bullet. The later type seams to have come out about 1937. This was a round for short range work (it would be an excellent choice for a sentry on night duty), its effective range was likely less that 50 yards, and its effect is like a small buckshot charge. These cartridges are not rare, so they must have been issued in fairly large numbers.

Scotth, :redneck:

Blackwater
12-19-2005, 11:29 PM
Beagle, I'd guess that stabilization with that round is not only impossible, but likely the round was INTENDED not to stabilize, so it'd disperse better - more like a shotgun effect? The low velocity gives me the clue that it was never intended for any significant range, I think. Very interesting round.

Scotty
12-19-2005, 11:53 PM
The Italians had rounds like that for their soldiers guarding p.o.w camps during ww2...saw a thing on tv awhile back where some british broke out of a camp and one guy got shot with one of those multiple ball, then the italian went out and drag him back in...

Scotty, :shock:

beagle
12-20-2005, 12:48 AM
I'd venture to say your're right. That thing would tumble and with the splits in the projectile would come all unhinged in flight. If it hit anything, it would come all apart like the "clusterbomb" shotgun segments. JUst what you'd need for close in fighting./beagle

Beagle, I'd guess that stabilization with that round is not only impossible, but likely the round was INTENDED not to stabilize, so it'd disperse better - more like a shotgun effect? The low velocity gives me the clue that it was never intended for any significant range, I think. Very interesting round.

beagle
12-20-2005, 12:54 AM
Dunlap did mention that it had a fairly short range in his book so it would be perfect for a "sentry" round.

People tend to poo poo light projectiles and berate their stopping power. My dad worked for the prison department way back when they guarded with shotguns and buckshot. A prisoner escaped one of the road gangs and made it into a corn field before the guard saw him go. He cut loose though the corn with a double barrel 12 gauge and #4 buck. As luck would have it, one pellet out of the total 72 (36 per shell) hit the guy just over the belt in the back at a range of about 100 yards. He immediately went down and started screaming. Said it felt like someone had hit him with a ball bat back there. So, I'd say the eyetie frag rounds would do a pretty good number on you./beagle

The Italians had rounds like that for their soldiers guarding p.o.w camps during ww2...saw a thing on tv awhile back where some british broke out of a camp and one guy got shot with one of those multiple ball, then the italian went out and drag him back in...

Scotty, :shock: