PDA

View Full Version : True Blue in a 454

Iwsbull
04-11-2020, 12:07 AM
I have been using H110 but a pound is short lived and they were out of HS6 ( my favorite powder for a 44) so I thought I would give this a try. I have never used it but it was $3 a pound cheaper than H110 so I thought I would try it.
I am putting it under a 340 grain gas checked powdercoated hollow point. I just wondered what types of accuracy and velocities folks were getting with similar loads.

Norske
04-11-2020, 12:41 PM
If you don't have Western Powders reloading manual, buy one. If any of their powders are suitable for a cartridge, it's in there. If not, it's not. Pay particular attention to the primers they use for their double-base powders, many of which are graphite coated. Too cool a primer will result in hang fires or misfires. Not pleasant with 40 gr powder behind a 400 gr cast bullet in a 45-70. When I got the round home, I pulled the bullet, and poured out the powder. When I hit the case mouth against my palm, a chunk of charcoal about the size of a hat pin head came out. The burn started, but didn't have enough heat to complete.

Iwsbull
04-11-2020, 12:53 PM
I am just wondering how well it works in this particular caliber and weight range. To save myself some waste of time and material if it’s not a particularly good combo.

Paul105
04-11-2020, 01:31 PM
Accurate powder lists loads for True Blue in the .454

http://www.accuratepowder.com/load-data/

Paul

tobywan45
04-11-2020, 02:27 PM
If you don't have Western Powders reloading manual, buy one. If any of their powders are suitable for a cartridge, it's in there. If not, it's not. Pay particular attention to the primers they use for their double-base powders, many of which are graphite coated. Too cool a primer will result in hang fires or misfires. Not pleasant with 40 gr powder behind a 400 gr cast bullet in a 45-70. When I got the round home, I pulled the bullet, and poured out the powder. When I hit the case mouth against my palm, a chunk of charcoal about the size of a hat pin head came out. The burn started, but didn't have enough heat to complete.Thank you for the heads up about primers

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk