PDA

View Full Version : Lee Auto-Drum Powder Measure, What do i need?

hornet112
04-10-2020, 11:35 PM
What do I need to make a Lee Auto-Drum Powder Measure work on my T7 to load 44mag.

Do I need a powder through die or a Lee Powder Through Expander Die 44 Rem Mag or?

Looking to load small qty of pistol rounds and I don't want to do it 1 at a time.

Thanks, Dan

kungfustyle
04-10-2020, 11:50 PM
https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-precision-reloading-equipment/lee-specialty-reloading-dies/lee-charging-die-kit is very helpful. This allows you to get the measure up high enough to clear the other die. You don't need the powder through expander, but without it, you will need and extra space on your press for it. I bought the RCBS uniflow with a small drum, then added a case activated powder drop for mine. I couldn't get the Lee to stop leaking with finer powders like 2400 and H110 etc. RCBS works great.

onelight
04-10-2020, 11:50 PM
What do I need to make a Lee Auto-Drum Powder Measure work on my T7 to load 44mag.

Do I need a powder through die or a Lee Powder Through Expander Die 44 Rem Mag or?

Looking to load small qty of pistol rounds and I don't want to do it 1 at a time.

Thanks, Dan
I would get the powder through expander if it does not expand to the size you want you can add an oversized expander in the station ahead of it.
My auto drum does not leak 296 when it is set up correctly .

Misery-Whip
04-11-2020, 01:01 AM
The auto drum and auto disc measures thread directly onto a Lee powder thru expanding die. In your case the Lee 44 mag 3 or 4 die set will include the die you seek. You will need to unscrew a small aluminum funnel from the top of the powder thru expanding die to thread on the auto drum. You might be able to order just the die you need from some websites.

Go to Lee precisions site and download instructions on their dies, they come with visual aids. That may help you understand.

You dont need any type of riser, the auto drum is tall and skinny. Run the auto disc and you might want it. But the auto disc can work without the riser with pistol dies.

hornet112
04-11-2020, 08:39 AM
Thanks for the replies. That cleared it up!

sparkyv
04-11-2020, 08:45 AM
You'll need some sort of Powder Through die, either the Expander Die or the plain Powder Through die. You'll need to flair on a different station if you choose the plain one. You may need a riser if other accessories are in the way. Sadly, I agree with kungfustyle that geting the LADPM to stop leaking with finer powders like 2400 and H110 is challenging to say the least.

hornet112
04-14-2020, 12:32 PM
I hope this is the one I need I allready have an expander die. This just came in stock.

Lee Auto-Disk, Auto-Drum Rifle Powder Short Charging Die #: 90668

onelight
04-14-2020, 06:48 PM
One thing to keep in mind with your measure in the turret is that if you interrupt your routine for example the no. of times you move the turret between powder drops if will cause a slight variance in charge weight so operating consistently and smoothly is key to to consistent charges of powder.

hornet112
04-19-2020, 10:21 PM
Thanks will keep that in mind.