PDA

View Full Version : Appendix carry vs Behind the rear hip

Art in Colorado
04-10-2020, 02:34 PM
For the first time I got an IWB holster. This is for my Springfield Hellcat. It can be adjusted for both modes of carry. I have tried both and I have found for my self the appendix carry works better. I have tried both walking, sitting driving and I have found the appendix just works:-D. Not sure how I would feel with a larger pistol. How do the the more experienced daily carry folks feel?

rintinglen
04-10-2020, 03:01 PM
Personally, I am too fat for the appendix carry to be comfortable, so I go with the "4 o'clock," behind-the-hip carry. When there was less of me to love, I tried them both and felt that the appendix carry was slightly faster if a covering article of clothing had to be moved to gain access to my pistol. Use the off hand to lift the shirt or jacket out of the way while you grab the butt of the shooting iron with your strong hand. As long as you haven't acquired "dunlap" disease (my belly done lapped over my belt) the appendix carry has much to recommend it. If you are a little on the nervous side, the prospect of your muzzle pointing at the family jewels may be discomfiting. But provided you keep your finger out of the trigger guard until you are ready to shoot, you'll be just fine.

unclemikeinct
04-10-2020, 03:10 PM
40years IWB at 4 o'clock behind the hip. everything from CA 44 Bulldog, 380Walther PPK whatever, & my Fav Kimber Custom early 2000 Vintage 3 In 45acp. uncle mike

Bazoo
04-10-2020, 03:25 PM
I haven't ever carried appendix, for the same reason my belt buckle ain't seen the weather in years. I carry both IWB and OWB, both at the 3:00/3:30 position. I've tried small of the back and 4:00 but settled on 3:00. For whatever reason it's more comfortable for me. I've carried various things, smith 642, glock 22, smith 4006, colts commander, and most currently, a Springfield milspec.

For a backup piece, like a smith J frame or the bersa thunder380, small of the back in a left handed IWB holster does well for me. I have carried a boot knife in the same spot, works well as I can get it with either hand.

Idz
04-10-2020, 03:39 PM
I also use 3:00 because my old shoulder doesn't want to draw from 4:00. The most important rule is to use what works for you.

Thundarstick
04-10-2020, 09:30 PM
I discovered AIWB carry last year attend find it works great for me! I also think it's the best way to conceal a full sized pistol, and much more comfortable.

Pete44mag
04-10-2020, 09:48 PM
I use both appendix and 4 o'clock IWB, depends how I'm dressed and what gun I'm carrying. You have to see what works best for you. Carry the way you are most comfortable.

Biggin
04-10-2020, 10:35 PM
I carried appendix for several years when first started carrying. Its fast and reasonably comfortable for skinny folks. However I don't fit that profile and couldn't ever get used to carrying appendix or inside the waistband. I've settled on 330 to about 400 o'clock outside waistband. If I need deep concealment I'll carry something small in a pocket holster. As other people said you have to find what works for you. Clint Smith of thunder ranch game says it's supposed to be comforting not comfortable. I personally have found that for most people if it's not reasonably comfortable most people will end up leaving it at home or in the truck.

04-10-2020, 11:05 PM
Used to have to carry concealed at work. Depending on the assignment, I would generally carry in the (as mentioned above) 4 O'clock position. Comfortable, easy to conceal. When doing stuff that had a good chance of a fight / dense crowd / physical confrontation, I switched to the "appendix" carry. I felt I had a better of retaining it there.

stubshaft
04-11-2020, 03:27 AM
3:30 works well for me with IWB crossdraw coming in second.

Mytmousemalibu
04-11-2020, 04:02 AM
I've daily carried my S&W 442 in a Sticky holster my right front pocket for years. That is now a SIG 365XL but still in the appropriate Sticky holster in the RF pocket. Granted I wear Propper cargo pants or shorts 99% of the time. They have very generous pockets. I wear jeans, the 442 gets the job since it carries a little nicer. Prior to this I carried an M&P 9C in my own custom Kydex in appendix. I carry for comfort and pocket carry trumps all in my opinion except maybe OWB. Its a compromise, its not perfect nor very speedy and choices are limited but I carry everyday, everywhere. If I was still carrying the 9C in Appendix, I probably wouldn't be carrying every single day.

MrWolf
04-11-2020, 06:47 AM
As an alternative I carry in a concealed vest. With all my aches and pains I found it a lot easier carrying in the left "carry" section. I carry my S&W M&P 45c in it. For doc visits and such or when using the vest is not practical, I carry either the M&P 380 or 9 in my front cargo pocket.

Texas by God
04-11-2020, 09:02 AM
If I'm only carrying for a bit( 7 mile walk to the store and back) I forgo a holster entirely and use reverse Mexican Carry. Autos work better for this method.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200411/e615b5902a7b16cf9aa46fd9aae45144.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

ioon44
04-11-2020, 09:16 AM
Colonel Jeff Cooper's Four Basic Rules of Firearm Safety:
1 All guns are always loaded.

2 Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.

3 Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target.

4 Identify your target, and what is behind it.

Appendix carry, not for me.

onelight
04-11-2020, 10:37 AM
I haven't ever carried appendix, for the same reason my belt buckle ain't seen the weather in years. I carry both IWB and OWB, both at the 3:00/3:30 position. I've tried small of the back and 4:00 but settled on 3:00. For whatever reason it's more comfortable for me. I've carried various things, smith 642, glock 22, smith 4006, colts commander, and most currently, a Springfield milspec.

That works for me IWB even with 4.2" sp101 , HK uspc , P30sk or springfield XDE . Around 3 o-clock is the only place on my belt that works for me siting or standing for all day. I am 5'11 about 205lbs I have enough overhang appendix is miserable when I was younger and in better shape it was comfortable.

tominboise
04-11-2020, 11:21 AM
In the fall, winter and spring, its a Glock 26 9mm carried IWB at 3:30, in a Kydex Wraith holster from Gunfighters, Inc. In the summer, it's either the Glock IWB or a Kahr PM9 9mm in a front pocket, in an old Uncle Mikes pocket holster.

Sometimes in the winter I wll carry in the inside pocket of my Carhart vest that I wear all the time.

EMC45
04-11-2020, 12:29 PM
Colonel Jeff Cooper's Four Basic Rules of Firearm Safety:
1 All guns are always loaded.

2 Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.

3 Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target.

4 Identify your target, and what is behind it.

Appendix carry, not for me.

Agreed. I tried it years ago before the current youtube/internet obsession with it. I never could reconcile the fact a loaded gun was pointed directly at my genitals AND femoral artery and I was the cause of it.

35remington
04-11-2020, 05:08 PM
Appendix carriers reconcile that method with the idea that the gun is not being handled while in the holster. The problem I always had with hip IWB carry is that is where my pants are tightest and therefore there is no comfortable place for the gun that does not press painfully upon bone.

On me it prints more there. I am also of such shape that appendix is more concealable and more comfortable than alternatives.

Rick Hodges
04-11-2020, 06:39 PM
I carry appendix but cross draw. I am left handed and the gun is carried IWB in front of my right hip. Comfortable, reasonably fast (faster than 4o'clock) and it isn't pointed at my jewels or femoral artery. A half tic slower than regular appendix carry.
It works for me. I am 6' and 200#, not thin by any means.

monadnock#5
04-11-2020, 09:49 PM
We make decisions based on risk/benefit analysis every day. The decision to go AIWB isn't because it's the safest, its not. It's because it's the most readily accessible in all situations.

charlie b
04-11-2020, 10:08 PM
I agree, but, if I carried that way I'd get some dummy rounds and practice drawing and engaging from standing and seated, A LOT. Until I by instinct I draw and engage safely.

The chief customs agent out here carried 1908 Colt (.380) AIWB. He used to award his best troops with one of those Colts. I wish I had taken one off his hands when I had the chance.

I usually carry side, either IWB or OWB. Every now and then shoulder or pocket depending on what i am doing and/or wearing.

Chuck Perry
04-14-2020, 09:54 PM
I prefer AIWB, just more comfortable for me overall.

Catshooter
04-16-2020, 02:48 AM
Been carrying appendix for near 50 years now. Mostly guns the size of a Glock 19/ S&W 4516. Best spot if you're not fat.

And for those worried about it, at some point or another carrying a pistol in any position will cover some of your anatomy. Appendix teaches you to holster/re-holster only when necessary. And always with your eyes on the process and your wits about you.

Cat

brassrat
04-16-2020, 07:20 AM
I only carry my homemade holsters, IWB, at 4:00. 5" Colt .45 is not even felt while driving. Other guns the same. No way appendix carry any more.

Dapaki
04-16-2020, 07:59 AM
I carry AIWB when not at work and Urban Carry at 1:00 at work or in the RF pocket due to the need to completely hide the profile with a tucked in button up. The boss carries 4:00 with a loose windbreaker, hes too fat for AIWB.

Art in Colorado
04-22-2020, 03:46 PM
Well after a few weeks of eperimenting with appendix and behind my right hip I found that right hip is the way to go. I thought that eary on appendix was way to go but since this IWB is new to me there was a learning curve and I learned that behind right hip is the way to go.

Don Purcell
04-23-2020, 09:32 AM
8 o'clock position for me (Left handed). Thought about trying AIWB but even at 65 I'm still somewhat fond of my junk.

bmortell
04-23-2020, 11:36 AM
appendix is the only thing that works for me for inside the waist band. im tall/thin so anyplace else feels like im being stabbed with a brick. I also feel safe appendixing a revolver, it would be extremely hard for the cylinder to turn while compression on the cylinder is whats holding the gun in place. plus a 10 pound trigger would have to be pulled back inside the holster somehow.

dragon813gt
04-23-2020, 12:52 PM
Behind the hip. It’s uncomfortable anywhere else. If I’m really concerned about accessing it quickly I will open carry. OWB is by far the most comfortable.

35remington
04-23-2020, 06:37 PM
I can’t help but notice that my behind the hip carrying brother is very “printy.” His T shirt is always riding up and exposing the gun is some situations like exiting a car and when standing from a sitting position in some ways. Maybe physiology to some degree, but a good idea to attend to your gat if you are not in a position to easily see if your garment drapes over it correctly....and he isn’t.

This with a G43, not exactly a large gun, in a Vedder Light Tuck with a concealment wing attached.

Catshooter
04-27-2020, 04:42 AM
T-shirts are about the worst for good covering for any position in my experience.

Cat

MrWolf
04-27-2020, 05:51 AM
T-shirts are about the worst for good covering for any position in my experience.

Cat

Not with my carry vest. No imprinting :drinks:

PNW_Steve
04-27-2020, 10:12 AM
I carried SOB for a while until a buddy, who is a pretty bright guy, warned me that he had seen folks injured in a fall while carrying SOB. Falling on the gun in that position proved hazardous.

Given that I fall down a lot, I took it seriously. I quit carrying SOB.........Then I fell down and fractured two vertebrae in my lower back... You can't win sometimes :):)

35remington
04-27-2020, 01:35 PM
If a gun was there you might have fractured five vertebrae in your lower back instead of two.

Andy45
04-27-2020, 09:06 PM
P365 XL IWB@3:00-4:00 depending on whether walking or driving.
Tried appendix carry but became way too stressed about the risk to the femoral artery.
Also considering a shoulder holster for cold weather.