PDA

View Full Version : I need Allignment pins for a Lyman 2 Cavity

Hanzy4200
04-10-2020, 02:09 PM
Well, I rushed a fix up job and got myself in deeper. I have a older 9MM MAK mold that has been discontinued. I was having issues with the mold sticking after release and require way to much pressure to close. I ever so slightly polished he female sides, no difference. So I decided to push the pins in a tad. I've done so in the past. This time, it require to much pressure, and I deformed the pin heads. I drifted them out, polished them, but when re-inserting them, the back ends deformed. Now I can't fully insert them. Stupid rooky moves. Do any of you know where I can get replacements? I already emailed Lyman, but from what I read my hopes are not looking good there.

country gent
04-10-2020, 02:22 PM
clean up the back edges with a fine file with a light bevel when done. remove any swelling and or mushroom then the light bevel to help keep it from reoccurring. If you have a vise try using it to push the pins in after cleaning them up.

If you need to replace them Measure the pins as close as possible with good micrometers, a .001 will make a big difference in how they fit. Look at MCMaster Carr, Graingers, MSC, or other tool supply houses for drill rod in the correct size. Or a drill shank in the right size can be cut and made to work. Dowel pins will work but are hard and will be a pain to form the radius and fit.

Measurement is ging to be critical here the fit and shape are important putting them in is relatively easy. You might be able to use your reloading press and a bolt to push them in even

Hanzy4200
04-10-2020, 05:41 PM
That's a good idea with the press. I was just at the point of frustration I would rather spend $15 and start with fresh pins.

Gewehr-Guy
04-11-2020, 08:37 AM
You might find a cheap mould on Ebay to use for parts, rather than deal with Lyman. Then you will have some spare screws and a sprue plate on hand.

Hanzy4200
04-14-2020, 07:13 PM
Lyman got back to me, and offered to send me a return shipping label. They didn't ask what mold it is, hopefully it won't matter.