PDA

View Full Version : Throating reamer questions

joeb33050
11-22-2008, 08:42 AM
I just bought a Savage Striker in 308 Win and all my cast bullets must have the base below the case neck to fit in the gun. Short throat.
It costs about $100 round trip for shipping a pistol, to a gunsmith. So re-throating is an expensive proposition.

1. Can I use a 1 1/2 degree throating reamer to throat this pistol, by hand, on my kitchen table, with no experience?

2. Can I rent such a reamer and the required handle or whatever it is?

3. If not, where can I buy such a reamer and handle?

I wish there was a CB gunsmith in S. FL.

Thanks;
joe b.

shooter93
11-22-2008, 08:43 PM
You can rent reamers Joe but I'm not sure an 11 degree is readily available. Google for some sources. If your existing throat is a much different angle it may take a very long throat to clean it up. If you're handy...you can do it assuming the tool goes through the action and can be used without removing the barrel. I'm not all that familiar with strikers so I don't know for sure. if it does...clamp it in a vise muzzle down, use lots of cutting fluid...go SLOW!!! ...clean the barrel frequently and check with a dummy round.

Frank46
11-23-2008, 12:34 AM
Joe, haven't seen a stryker yet, but does it have the savage barrel nut?. If so 1 1/4"
box wrench with small pieces of brazing rod in the cutouts should do the trick. Course you'll need something to hold the receiver in. Well padded vise?. PG&T should have a throating reamer with 1 1/2 degrees on each side if I understand you correctly. Don't know if you can rethroat without taking off the barrel. Think you can use a reguler tap wrench, the kind that has one handle thats adjustable and the other is fixed. Sears should have something big enough. Hope this helps. Frank

Phil
11-23-2008, 12:33 PM
The ONLY way to use a throating reamer is with the barrel indicated true in a lathe and the reamer supported by a good dead center in the tailstock. You CANNOT properly cut a throat (or chamber) otherwise, unless the goal is just to chamber a round to hear it go bang.

Phil

35remington
11-23-2008, 12:35 PM
I'd have to say I pretty much agree with Phil.

Take it from a guy that's throated a barrel or two.

Centering the reamer is a problem - it's very possible to ream a throat that is off center, to the point where it's not symmetrical, and the throat literally has rifling on one side remaining, and none on the other.

The piloted end of the reamer will still allow such play when it is turned with a T handle from the rear. Holding the barrel vertically theoretically addresses the problem, but there's still some slop in reamer fit that allows off centering. "Wallowing" and making the throat larger than intended is also possible.

Dave Manson makes such reamers, but to me the peace of mind it takes to get it centered is well worth paying someone with tooling experience to do correctly

Pat I.
11-23-2008, 01:50 PM
PT&G has throating reamers for 66 bucks with no extra charge for custom which is what you're talking. Buying a reamer and having a local smith do it would save you some money. A throat can be cut by hand but I agree a lathe is better. Once you bought the T-Handle and extension to do it yourself it wouldn't be worth messing with.

joeb33050
11-24-2008, 03:30 PM
The answer seems to be no, I can't do this throating on my kitchen table with the gun together.
Next is ????????
Thanks;
joe b.

Pat I.
11-24-2008, 04:07 PM
Buy the reamer, have a local smith do the work, and then either sell the reamer or rent it out yourself. Or pull the barrel and send it and a dummy cartridge to someone, should cost a lot less than 100 bucks to ship.

Bass Ackward
11-24-2008, 05:01 PM
Joe,

200 rounds on monotype with about 55,000 psi behind it and it will lengthen out. :grin:

Pat I.
11-24-2008, 05:26 PM
OR look for a shorter bullet. The Lyman 311672 might work but I don't know how long it is.

leftiye
11-25-2008, 03:25 PM
Pat,

Do you have PT&G's address, phone #, etc.?

Pat I.
11-25-2008, 03:43 PM
http://www.pacifictoolandgauge.com/

Steve
11-25-2008, 04:56 PM
I would have to agree with the guys who would use a lathe with a steady rest . If cost is a large concern, call colorado school of trades in lakewood colorado.