PDA

View Full Version : Finding the barrel vibration sweet spot

texasmac
04-09-2020, 02:09 PM
The latest edition of the Single Shot Exchange (SSE) magazine included an article titled, Minimizing Barrel Bounce off Cross Sticks – Finding the Sweet Spot. If you do not subscribe to the SSE and are interested in the details, I just posted the article at the following link: http://www.texas-mac.com/Minimizing_Barrel_Bounce_off_Cross_Sticks_Finding_ the_Sweet_Spot.html

Wayne

Win94ae
04-09-2020, 03:00 PM
Neat idea! I do it like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFFJAGeYj1A

veeman
04-10-2020, 08:09 AM
Interesting. Would the same method work on say, a winchester 76 or 86?

indian joe
04-10-2020, 10:26 PM
Interesting. Would the same method work on say, a winchester 76 or 86?

I reckon it might - gonna try it on my 76 anyway - also gonna pull the full magazine off and put a short one on for a try - that gun is shooting heavy boolits quite well (up to 500grain single loaded - DT sparked my interest in that) does it well so long as I can keep the barrel temperature SAME from shot to shot - otherwise it walks a line up the target - and I have been shooting rested on the forend wood - usually hold and rest my knuckles on the bag to cushion it - so give a couple weeks and I report back :-D

I changed out the full magazine a few months back to eliminate the forward hanger and its better but not fixed

If you want to play with this stuff - can buy chinese curtain rod material in the home decorator shops that is identical OD to the winchester and repro brand magazine tubes - both for 44/40 and 45/70 sized rounds - strip the plastic coating off with a propane torch - or scrape and sand to save from softening the steel - blue it and yr good to go - nodody would pick it from the outside - just thinner wall is all.

veeman
04-11-2020, 11:16 AM
How's that foot healing up? Getting around a bit more?

DAVIDMAGNUM
04-11-2020, 04:02 PM
WOW! I dun did learn sumpin. I have a Pedersoli Quigley that I haven't shot in a while and a Browning Hi Wall. I shall be thumping a couple of barrels i think.

indian joe
04-11-2020, 11:00 PM
How's that foot healing up? Getting around a bit more?

yeah slowly improving thanks - a bit of impatience creeping into the process - I was a pretty effective pedestrian before it - long way to go yet - spent a couple weeks building fence before easter - half day was the best I could do. Lots of people getting around worse than me and have no prospect of improvement.

Been foolin round with a little 310 martini the last couple of days - was part of my Dads estate and we thought to give it to a museum - but he had a box of 50 rounds with it and another 50 emptys - cant send live rounds to the museum so we (me and son) shot half em off -- hey his thing shoots - not goin to the museum!