PDA

View Full Version : Pays to be a good neighbor

mvozz
04-08-2020, 03:17 PM
During my forced seclusion I have taken some time to teach my neighbor how to handload 357 mag with boolits. I gave him some to try and he is like a little kid with a new toy. He was so grateful he wanted to give me a gift, I told him it wasn't necessary but he insisted. I was a bit shocked when he gave me a lead boolit that came from the battle of Antietam. The story of how he came to get several of these is another story of showing kindness to others. I guess what comes around goes around.259984

Walter Laich
04-08-2020, 03:44 PM
I think that was one of mine. Never did get it back as there was too much fighting at the time :D

That is probably a very meaning gift for those who cast and reload. Karma can be Cool, too.

rancher1913
04-08-2020, 04:37 PM
make sure you record any provenance you can get from him for your grandkids sake.

Winger Ed.
04-08-2020, 05:15 PM
That's cool.
At least no one took it to their grave.

bikerbeans
04-08-2020, 05:27 PM
Do you think it was fired or dropped?

BB

smithnframe
04-08-2020, 05:53 PM
I have a tomahawk that belonged to Crazy Horse........only thing about it is the head has been changed 3 times and the handle 4! Hard to prove it's from Anteitem!

nikonuser
04-08-2020, 08:23 PM
I have a tomahawk that belonged to Crazy Horse........only thing about it is the head has been changed 3 times and the handle 4! Hard to prove it's from Anteitem!

yeah, been enough reproduction guns that got defarbed by guys who were collectors that ended up fooling the so called experts at the NRA and Cody Museum

Green Frog
04-08-2020, 08:27 PM
You wouldn't believe how many bullets from the berm at the North-South Skirmish Association's Ft Shenandoah find their way into antique shops! :shock:

Froggie

Der Gebirgsjager
04-08-2020, 08:32 PM
Now let's see. where did that boolit go........Oh, oh..I think I tossed it in the lead pot and now it's a .38 wadcutter!

Joking aside, that's a nice item. I think one can go to those CW battlegrounds and still pick them up.

StrawHat
04-08-2020, 09:37 PM
Now let's see. where did that boolit go........Oh, oh..I think I tossed it in the lead pot and now it's a .38 wadcutter!

Joking aside, that's a nice item. I think one can go to those CW battlegrounds and still pick them up.

Not if it is a National Park.

Kevin

smoked turkey
04-09-2020, 12:32 AM
I have a very similar boolit that came from "The Battle of Wilson's Creek". This is a very famous civil war battle near Springfield, Missouri. As my grade school class was getting back on our school bus for the ride home, the bus driver handed it to me. Their are no rifling marks on it so I assume it was dropped. I've hung onto it for probably 65 years. I'll probably hang on to it.

nikonuser
04-09-2020, 12:43 AM
if anyone is interested I have about 40, 45 caliber lead balls for revolvers. They may have been used in the civil war because I said they were. 10$ each

John Wayne
04-10-2020, 09:13 PM
Someone asked if it was fired or dropped. Dropped or set aside in some way, great condition.