PDA

View Full Version : 2020 Census

William Yanda
04-05-2020, 11:08 AM
I just completed our census. Not intrusive, name, DOB and ethnicity. Was progressive on choices of relationship-a whole page when I only needed spouse of opposite sex. No questions about income or education, bathrooms or tv's.It was supposed to be completed 1 Apr but we have been letting our mail season.

bedbugbilly
04-05-2020, 11:19 AM
I did our's last week on-line - just my wife and I and it only took maybe ten minutes. No "offensive" questions as far as I was concerned - the one that kind of tickled me was the race/ethnicity part - if you put down "white" - there was a spot below it where they wanted you to put in your ethnic background - i.e. Irish, Scotch, German - whatever. Hmmmm - for myself - I'm 4th generation Scotch-Irish with English, Welch and if you go back far enough - western Europe, etc. - a lot of folks, unless they've done their DNA or listened to their parents, grandparents, etc. wouldn't know - especially maybe the younger ones. I behaved myself though . . . I did list what I knew to be true - but I really wanted to just fill it in with the word 'MONGREL" or "MIXED-BREED", Kind of makes me wonder what Elizabeth Warren put down . . . . ? :-)

Beerd
04-05-2020, 11:47 AM
for "Ethnic background" I wrote in AMERICAN. That made the computer happy and let me move on to the next page.

MUSTANG
04-05-2020, 12:04 PM
I completed ours about two weeks ago on line. The on line Census form is more "Constitutionally Compliant" than in the last two decades, but still has areas that puts a burr under my saddle.

Article I Section 2.

The House of Representatives shall be composed of members chosen every second year by the people of the several states, and the electors in each state shall have the qualifications requisite for electors of the most numerous branch of the state legislature.

No person shall be a Representative who shall not have attained to the age of twenty five years, and been seven years a citizen of the United States, and who shall not, when elected, be an inhabitant of that state in which he shall be chosen.

Representatives and direct taxes shall be apportioned among the several states which may be included within this union, according to their respective numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole number of free persons, including those bound to service for a term of years, and excluding Indians not taxed, three fifths of all other Persons. The actual Enumeration shall be made within three years after the first meeting of the Congress of the United States, and within every subsequent term of ten years, in such manner as they shall by law direct. The number of Representatives shall not exceed one for every thirty thousand, but each state shall have at least one Representative; and until such enumeration shall be made, the state of New Hampshire shall be entitled to chuse three, Massachusetts eight, Rhode Island and Providence Plantations one, Connecticut five, New York six, New Jersey four, Pennsylvania eight, Delaware one, Maryland six, Virginia ten, North Carolina five, South Carolina five, and Georgia three.

When vacancies happen in the Representation from any state, the executive authority thereof shall issue writs of election to fill such vacancies.

The House of Representatives shall choose their speaker and other officers; and shall have the sole power of impeachment.

In January 2020 of this year; we received a call from a Colorado Telephone Number that claimed to be the CENSUS BUREAU, and they started asking us all sorts of questions I refused to answer: How much do you owe on your house, what is the sexual orientation of people in your house, and..... I kept telling them that they had no authority Under the US Constitution Section I, Article II to ask those questions. They kept saying yes we do; we are the CENSUS BUREAU. I told them: Anyone could call up and tell me the same; sounds like a PHISHING attempt too me. They hung up; and two weeks later I got a letter from the Census Board basically says we are the census board and you have to answer our questions, cause we are charged by congress with collecting information. I ignored the letter and two days later got a mail notice to go online and complete the Census Questions. Surprise, none of the intrusive questions were on the "Short Census" on line.

10 Years ago; I bought a bunch of US Pocket Constituions for $50.00. Census "Counters" would show up at the house with their "Expanded Questionnaires" every few days (Must have been close to 20 times they visited - each time a different person). I would explain the US Constitution provided for a "Counting" of the Populace; but the collection of all the data they wanted was not in the US Constitution. Each time I presented them with a Pocket copy of the US Constitution that had Article I, Section 2 with the Census requirement highlighted with yellow highlighter, and a "Tab" stuck to the page. Told them the copy of the Constitution was their's to keep; but they should show their supervisor - for no one at this location will give you more than the Number of people and if they were Male or Female. I guess the "Supervisor" levels got tired of the cost of trying to send people to our home repeatedly (or maybe the census period & funds expired); because they eventually stopped coming. Just as in the letter they sent me this year; none can show where Constitutionally or "Legislatively" I am required to provide answers to their Intrusive Questions.

P.S. I answered "Other" on the Race. Wrote in I was a Mongrel like most of the US Population.

Minerat
04-05-2020, 12:15 PM
When they mail out a paper copy I will do it. Not on line.

waksupi
04-05-2020, 12:20 PM
Being a Luddite, I was waiting for the paper copy. However, so far I have received three mailings telling me there was going to be a census. No kidding? Why didn't they just send the damned thing in the first place, rather than wasting the paper and mailing cost?

I finally broke down and did it online yesterday. Easier than I expected, as most government websites I try to use are *****, and usually lead a person down a bottomless rabbit hole, allowing information to be entered until it locks up, and you have to start all over.

It was rather refreshing to find one that worked, and I was done in under ten minutes.

Bazoo
04-05-2020, 01:48 PM
I would have ignored it except for threat of strangers knocking at our door.

skeettx
04-05-2020, 02:06 PM
Luddite

hmmm, I have luditic tendencies

Mike

sundog
04-05-2020, 02:11 PM
What will REALLY tee you off is if you get the The American Family Survey. Of all the people who I thought would have been against something like that would have been then Senator Tom Colburn (recently deceased). I received a reply to the written and mailed objection I had to it years ago, probably a form letter. (He was the only reply from any of my condress critters.) Blah, blah, blah, it is necessary for Congress to have this data so that it knows where to effectively apply federal funding, blah, blah, blah.

Talk about an abusively, intrusive request for information that if you do not comply under penalty of law all kinds of bad things can happen to you.

How is that construed with "counting noses"?

Oh, yeah, and they promise not to share personal information. Just compiled data. Right, got it.

This kind of garbage is exactly what is wrong with the swamp.

trebor44
04-05-2020, 02:37 PM
"American" is the correct response and the only one needed.

Iowa Fox
04-05-2020, 02:40 PM
Remember what they taught us.

Name-Rank-Serial Number. Give no more information even if being tortured.

Gewehr-Guy
04-05-2020, 02:56 PM
I've got mine all filled out except for the race questions, was going to leave all those blank, but am going to put down child of God.

Handloader109
04-05-2020, 02:56 PM
Ok, for you Luddites (self described) I've been working in my local office until recently when it was shut down for the virus panic.
You WILL NOT BE GETTING A PAPER DOCUMENT in the mail or otherwise.
it is ENTIRELY on line or Electronic. If you DON'T do it on line, you WILL be getting a visit when this panic is over. June/July/August.
We hired a ton of folks to take iphones/ ipads around and do the in person surveys down the road.
There will ONLY be reminders mailed. 4 total and then your address is on a list to get home visit.

So Pick your poison, online or in person...... Right now bite your pride and supposed privacy and do it online. BTW, online is not intrusive any more than anything else you do.

jimlj
04-05-2020, 03:03 PM
I did it on line. You have to put in a name or nickname. You have to put in an address. You have to put in the number of people living at the address or the form will not go on to the next question (if I remember correctly). Any other questions were fluff and if you don't want to answer, hit next on the form. The kind and benevolent people designing the form give you several chances to answer the fluff questions, but it will finally advance if you hit next enough times without answering. Fairly pain free and (hopefully) someone won't pester me at the door.

abunaitoo
04-05-2020, 04:32 PM
When they mail out a paper copy I will do it. Not on line.

Same with me.

abunaitoo
04-05-2020, 04:36 PM
Ok, for you Luddites (self described) I've been working in my local office until recently when it was shut down for the virus panic.
You WILL NOT BE GETTING A PAPER DOCUMENT in the mail or otherwise.
it is ENTIRELY on line or Electronic. If you DON'T do it on line, you WILL be getting a visit when this panic is over. June/July/August.
We hired a ton of folks to take iphones/ ipads around and do the in person surveys down the road.
There will ONLY be reminders mailed. 4 total and then your address is on a list to get home visit.

So Pick your poison, online or in person...... Right now bite your pride and supposed privacy and do it online. BTW, online is not intrusive any more than anything else you do.

We got a letter in the mail.
If not done on-line, they will send a printed form to fill out.
Waiting for the print form.

Doughty
04-05-2020, 05:28 PM
Friday I called the number on the card. Got a recording that basically informed me that I would be waiting until hell froze over to talk to a person. It then informed me that if I was calling about a printed census form, that they would be mailing them out soon. Ten years ago I got visited 3 times for incomplete filing, I finally told the guy to either arrest me or let the matter drop. He huffed off. Haven't heard from them till now.

Randy Bohannon
04-05-2020, 05:42 PM
I got mine in the mail with a pre before I got it and a hurry up and fill it out note. Maybe in May .

Mk42gunner
04-05-2020, 06:22 PM
I got a pre-Census letter, the actual paper form, then two different cards. Tried to do it online, three different times, system refused to let me log in with the provided pin number.

Finally filled out the paper form and sent away via snail mail.

Robert

Minerat
04-05-2020, 06:54 PM
If I do it online it will have to wait till the library opens.

WRideout
04-05-2020, 07:10 PM
I did our's last week on-line - just my wife and I and it only took maybe ten minutes. No "offensive" questions as far as I was concerned - the one that kind of tickled me was the race/ethnicity part - if you put down "white" - there was a spot below it where they wanted you to put in your ethnic background - i.e. Irish, Scotch, German - whatever. Hmmmm - for myself - I'm 4th generation Scotch-Irish with English, Welch and if you go back far enough - western Europe, etc. - a lot of folks, unless they've done their DNA or listened to their parents, grandparents, etc. wouldn't know - especially maybe the younger ones. I behaved myself though . . . I did list what I knew to be true - but I really wanted to just fill it in with the word 'MONGREL" or "MIXED-BREED", Kind of makes me wonder what Elizabeth Warren put down . . . . ? :-)

I'm offended; they didn't list "Okie" as a choice.
Wayne

SciFiJim
04-05-2020, 11:57 PM
P.S. I answered "Other" on the Race. Wrote in I was a Mongrel like most of the US Population.

I also answered "Other" and then wrote in "Human".

elmacgyver0
04-06-2020, 12:13 AM
Do they tell all those people pooping on the street in San Francisco to go on line and fill out a form?
Just wondering on how they count them, after all, we know they are counting them.

2A-Jay
04-06-2020, 12:33 AM
I got my Census package in the Mail. I opened it up No Census form inside. Instead was a piece of paper with a PIN code on it and another with directions to Answer the Census online. I did so and finished it. I have since received 4 more of the Census Packages all with the same PIN. In the trash they went.

Handloader109
04-06-2020, 08:26 AM
Well, they have been saying no printed forms. you guys are funny. All this is is a confirmation of what the government already knows.

as far as homeless, yes, there are thousands of visits planned to shelters, food trucks, etc that cater to this population and the gov will be trying to count them.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

owejia
04-06-2020, 08:40 AM
Got the printed form and filled it out with minimal info and mailed a couple of weeks ago. The last Farm census a guy finally chased me down one day in the hay field, was raking hay, to ask questions and I told him I was retired. Last time I heard from them

lightman
04-06-2020, 11:34 AM
My Wife filled ours out the other day. I never looked at it and She didn't make any comments about it.

dragon813gt
04-06-2020, 12:27 PM
I’ve been ignoring it. Will eventually get around to it. Answering anything more than how many people in the house is more than they need to know IMO.

bedbugbilly
04-06-2020, 12:53 PM
Handloader109 – I enjoyed reading your informative post and from it, I assume you are a guvment worker . . . please be assured that my comments are not aimed at you individually.

So . . . the guvment is only going to mail out 4 mailings to remind people to fill out the census – then send out census takers to go from house to house for those that did not respond. As someone involved in it, perhaps you could tell us just how many pieces of mail total “4 times” amounts to . . . and at the same time, what the additional work load is on the Post Office to deliver all of those pieces of mail? You know . . . the U.S. Post Office that Pelosi was crying about last week that if they didn’t pass another bill to bail them out, she didn’t know how much longer they would be operational. The same “guvment run” Postal Institution that ALWAYS runs in the RED? Funny, I don’t remember any stamps on the forms I received . . . but then I guess that the department that runs the Census has “Franking rights”? You know . . . paid for by the taxpayers that are looked upon by Congress as a checkbook with no end to the funds in it? /the same taxpayers that if they don't fill out the "non intrusive" census will have someone knocking on their door to get the information?

Only on-line and then the “guvment” is going to send out Census takers to record on smart phones? The same guvment that “assumes” EVERYBODY has a smart phone . . a computer . . and internet service to fill out the Census forms? Maybe they ought to get together with the guvment agency that keeps claiming money is needed to provide internet services to those that don’t have it . . . you know . . . have a cup of coffee and actually “communicate” with each other so the left hand knows what the right hand is doing? The same guvment that assumes that everybody has a computer and a smart phone . . . but not all do because many are forced to make a choice to pay their bills . . . or pay their “voluntary income taxes” to the guvment rather than be able to budget those items and the internet into their lives . . and there are plenty of families out there in that situation. Hmmm . . . I’m guessing that if a smart phone or computer is required for your “guvment job” – that the guvment supplies it to you? You know . . . the ones paid for by the taxpayers?

Non intrusive? Well . . . at least the 2020 isn’t asking how many bathrooms we all have and other stupid and “none of your business” questions that previous Census forms have. Funny thing though . . . . all we have heard from the Left is how anybody that does not think like them is racist . . . hmmmm . . . yet it seems to be so important that they know a person’s ethnic and racial background. I realize there are reasons for this . . . but I keep hearing from the Left how “everyone is equal” . . . . which I can’t agree with more . . . but why does the guvment work so hard to point out how everyone is different? Personally . . . I don’t look at an individual’s race, ethnicity, sex or anything else as a way of judging them . . I look at them as individuals and to how they treat others and who they are in their hearts. And . . . I really don’t think it is the guvment’s business what a person is sexually . . . . I think most folks really don’t care either . . what goes on behind closed doors between two consenting adults is their business . . . not the guvment’s. BUT . . WHAT I DO THINK IS IMPORTANT . . . is all the hullabaloo that was put up over including the one question I did NOT see on the Census Form . . . “Are you a citizen of the United States?” And I don't know if the question would be answered truthfully by respondents . . . but who's says any of them are? But . . I’m probably in the minority on that one . . . you know . . . I’m a bad person because I guess I’m getting sick and tired of the taxpayers footing the bills for programs put into effect by Congress to take care of all of those who are not citizens and who entered this country illegally . . . you know . .. the same faction of Congress that passes laws but then encourages cities and agencies to ignore them? The same ones who constantly fight the requirement of a photo I.D voter registration card to prove you are a citizen and have the Constitutional right to vote . . . yet claim it is not necessary and would be too expensive? The same ones who are O.K. with sending out 4 mailings of Census reminders and pile on restrictions which require endless paperwork for citizens . . . the same ones that were going to get the Income Tax forms down tto the size of a postcard?

Nope . . . I have to agree with you . . . the Census is not intrusive . . . . and like others have stated, I was amazed at how the website actually worked! Must be the guvment contracted that out to private industry? Thanks so much for pointing out how the Census isn’t intrusive and how we should just “do it” . . . . . I feel so warm and fuzzy knowing that I don’t have to worry about a thing . . . ‘cause the guvment knows all and sees all . . . and those in charge are so much wiser that they know what is better for me and my family than I do. Now I can enjoy this second cup of coffee having no worries . . . . .

shooterg
04-06-2020, 08:12 PM
I was torn between "AMERICAN " and "SOUTHERN" !

MUSTANG
04-06-2020, 08:21 PM
I guess I could have answered "Texan Born - by the Grace of God." - Even though I no longer live in Texas.

abunaitoo
04-06-2020, 09:59 PM
Got a post card in the mail today.
Called the number about the printed form.
Recorded message said it would be mailed mid April.
Seems like they don't know what they're doing.

Idaho45guy
04-07-2020, 03:07 AM
I did mine online and was not selected for the "long form" census. Under ten minutes and I was done.

Getting sick of hearing that stupid Census Bureau radio commercial 6 times a day urging Native Americans to fill out the census so they can get their free handouts. Worst radio actors ever. Sounds worse than when the local high school does a fundraiser commercial on the local radio station. What really chaps my hide is that I paid for those commercials via my tax money.

I actually worked for the Census Bureau back in 2000 when I lived in Idaho. Made decent money driving to all the redneck spots in the boonies, knocking on doors and leaving a census on the door.

Had to pull my gun on one fella doing that job. There's some sketchy folks out in the sticks.

MrWolf
04-07-2020, 08:14 AM
I did the quick online one but I was also selected for the "special" one whatever it is called. I get to have a visit every couple of months for like four visits concerning employability. I'm retired on a disability retirement but doesn't matter they will still come out or now phone call. They got me when I first moved here about three years ago. Some answers are none of your business but most are harmless.

MUSTANG
04-07-2020, 10:57 AM
I did the quick online one but I was also selected for the "special" one whatever it is called. I get to have a visit every couple of months for like four visits concerning employability. I'm retired on a disability retirement but doesn't matter they will still come out or now phone call. They got me when I first moved here about three years ago. Some answers are none of your business but most are harmless.

The census takers (and detailed questionnaires) are much like a Lawyer Deposition or Inquisition in a trial. Lots of innocuous questions that individually mean nothing; but threaded together are used to paint the DESIRED picture; and then to be used against you and "WE THE PEOPLE" to extract TRIBUTE for the political class downstream.

alamogunr
04-07-2020, 06:15 PM
I got the short form in the mail a week or so ago. Filled it out and then used it to make sure I put the correct answers in the on-line form. All told for both was about 15 minutes. We must be too plain vanilla.

Petrol & Powder
04-07-2020, 06:26 PM

as far as homeless, yes, there are thousands of visits planned to shelters, food trucks, etc that cater to this population and the gov will be trying to count them.

You better believe they will be counting them, over and over and over.
They want those House of Representative seats and electoral votes.

William Yanda
04-09-2020, 08:26 AM
"So . . . the guvment is only going to mail out 4 mailings ......"

Got to keep the PO afloat.

MUSTANG
04-09-2020, 08:53 AM
"So . . . the guvment is only going to mail out 4 mailings ......"

Got to keep the PO afloat.

Sounds like the "Vote By Mail" campaign that Pelosi and crowd are pushing for the next round of FREE MONEY. Remember the old Chicago Mantra: VOTE AND VOTE OFTEN.