PDA

View Full Version : 20 gauge wad volume noob question

Ateam
04-05-2020, 08:53 AM
Here on planet lock-down I have dug out that old mec 20ga to see what could be done. I have a question I don't remember running across before. I have some ballistic products SG20M Sporting 20ga wads which should hold a published 3/4 to 7/8 oz of 7.5 shot. For the life of me I can only fit barely 5/8 in there. Whats the deal? My understanding was always that the shot had to be in the wad to protect it from the barrel, do I just pile it on till I get to 7/8? Someone shed some light on this for me please.

Hogtamer
04-05-2020, 10:47 AM
Pile it on' see if it will crimp properly. I have found that BPI publishes lots of loads that mwy be functional but obviously have never been tried outside of computer models.

Ateam
04-05-2020, 12:16 PM
I filled one up, and the level looks right. I have never piled it above the shot cup before. Will give it a try and report back.

Walla2
04-05-2020, 12:26 PM
That is designed to hold 75% of the shot charge. The remaining unprotected 25% comprises the essential and lethal peripheral fringe of the pattern. The 75% protected shot charge fills in the pattern very well. A mid range target wad of new design

Ateam
04-05-2020, 03:29 PM
Interesting, their write up did describe the 75/25 patterning, and the ratios seem to be right with what i am seeing while loading. Thanks for the explanation! I will be curios to see if there is any pellet scrub in the barrel or choke.

Ateam
04-05-2020, 06:32 PM
Okay, some results. I tried two loads both with universal clays. 5/8 load 24g, and 7/8 load 19g. The 5/8 needed a gas seal to make up the extra room. I used a 20 inch circle of cardboard at 40 yards, modified choke. 5/8 got 50 pellets on the board, and 7/8 got 60 pellets. Hard to tell if there was any pellet scrub till I shoot it some more and then clean.

toallmy
04-05-2020, 07:21 PM
I understand your questioning the load , the first time I loaded a 3 1/2 10 gage with a sp 10 wad I thought I had done something wrong - like forgetting to charge the hull with powder ....... Hogtamer BPI is not the only one [smilie=b:

ncmn
04-06-2020, 06:20 PM
I appreciate the question as I have been looking at the same wad for 20 gauge for 3/4 oz loads. I was wanting to shoot Fiocchi hulls with the SGM20 wad for skeet in an auto but have not gotten around to buying any yet. Now I have tried Remington Gun Clubs with the Claybuster green 3/4 oz wad that seems to be perfect for 3/4 oz loads. I have loaded them with good results but I am looking at trying the Fiocchi hulls just to get some loaded if the ranges ever open again. I am new to skeet and to 20 gauge loading but looking for results from you on your loads. Enjoying the time reloading has always been a favorite pastime for me.