PDA

View Full Version : Tobacco Seeds

1989toddm
04-04-2020, 06:14 PM
Do any of you guys have some extra tobacco seeds you could spare? I’d like to try my hand at it. I’m in Zone 7a for hardiness, if that makes any difference. Be glad to send some lead in exchange.

stevenjay1
04-04-2020, 06:27 PM
not sure if your are a new grower or have farming experience but this may be a good source. Steve
https://www.newhopeseed.com/tobacco_growing.html

dangitgriff
04-04-2020, 06:28 PM
Hippy lettuce will make you more bread.
[emoji38]

toallmy
04-04-2020, 06:35 PM
Hippy lettuce will make you more bread.
[emoji38]

And you get a vacation to.....

Mohawk Daddy
04-04-2020, 08:40 PM
Victory Seeds in Mclalla, OR has a good selection of seed. Disclaimer: I have tried to start tobacco from seed 2 or 3 times and never got anything to come up. Evidently there's a trick to it and I have never learned the trick. It's challenging.

unclemikeinct
04-05-2020, 12:35 AM
You may be starting a little late. I think you need about two months before setting out in the garden. The seeds need one to two weeks of carefully supervised germination. One of those clear plastic covers. Seeds must be kept moist on top of STERILE Soilless mix, 70D + F temp. Watch carefully, can't let it dry out or have mold issues either. Kind of a catch 22 deal. Good Luck. uncle mike

1989toddm
04-05-2020, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I didn’t realize the seeds were so hard to start. We have a couple cold frames, and I may use them to grow the plants after germination to catch up to the season.
Do y’all recommend any variety in particular?

bedbugbilly
04-05-2020, 11:30 AM
I always wanted to try growing some tobacco just for the fun of it but never got to it. Todd - if you get some plants started, let us know your progress and how it turns out - an interesting project. I always loved to drive through areas where they grew it, looking at the fields, the drying barns, etc.

waksupi
04-05-2020, 12:24 PM
I don't know if I have any seed left here or not. I was growing three varieties.

They do take a lot of care to start. This is a bit late in the season, but you could probably get them to produce well yet.

Look for a tobacco growers forum. There are several online, You will need their information on growing, harvest, aging and processing.

super6
04-05-2020, 12:50 PM
To the OP, What is your end use? Pipe? Cigar? ... I have about 20-30 varieties in cold storage I could send if ya like.

1989toddm
04-05-2020, 12:53 PM
To the OP, What is your end use? Pipe? Cigar? ... I have about 20-30 varieties in cold storage I could send if ya like.

Pipe use. 20-30? Whoosh! I could do with half a dozen or so. Don’t have the time to experiment extensively, but want to grow a good somewhat mellow tobacco for my own use. I’ll send you a PM.

lavenatti
04-06-2020, 12:39 PM
Everything you'll ever need to know...

https://fairtradetobacco.com/

Tripplebeards
04-07-2020, 09:24 AM
I remember walking through sheds of it hanging when I was a kid and walking through it in the fields.

Todd, I’m waiting for my two apple grafts that took for the buds to open. Thanks again! I just need to find some black market sweet tango scions now. I guess there is an orchard a few miles from me that has a contract to grow them. Got my first apple off that 10 year old tree I grew from a seed last year. It was from a golden delicious graft. I’m expecting apples this year.

WRideout
04-09-2020, 08:35 AM
A while ago, while driving through the tiny hamlet of Lyndora PA, I saw a patch of tobacco growing in a back yard. It reminded me a great deal of when I lived in East TN, and folks that lived in the foothills grew quarter-acre patches in the river bottoms.

Wayne

Geezer in NH
04-09-2020, 04:07 PM
I tried 3 years running, none ever germinated no hard I tried. Gave up

Oyeboten
04-10-2020, 03:20 AM
I've been brooding on trying to grow some Tobacco here in Kansas...

I like the old Virginia Tobacco which was very popular from the beginning on through to about WWII or so, it is really nice.

I buy the Flue Cured Leaves Mail Order, shred and roll my own Cigarettes.

It'd sure be fun if I could grow my own!

Finster101
04-10-2020, 06:56 AM
Growing up in Kentucky everyone always put out tobacco slips. Never saw anyone try and start seed. I was too young to be involved in any of that then. In my teens I did help cut, strip and hang it though. Nasty work.

oso
04-11-2020, 10:56 AM
Growing not a problem for me, started seeds indoors controlled conditions mid March. In the garden after the last frost. Even had volunteers occasionally! Didn't have luck with old seeds. My wife really liked the flowers.
Sorry I don't have any recent seeds for you. Got mine from www.jlhudsonseeds.net
The real work was after the harvest: drying was too quick and difficult to control for a "large" crop in my low humidity desert and getting good curing, then pressing, cutting and aging etc. Took years before the product was worth putting in my pipe - and that it was best after blending with commercial tobacco from Cornell & Diehl. The benefit was avoiding additives as I can't tolerate propylene glycol.
Best of luck to you.