PDA

View Full Version : Remington R51

Wayne Smith
04-04-2020, 07:54 AM
Did they ever get this gun running in a production model? It has always fascinated me (design) but I know there have been problems. They are currently on sale for a stupid low price, which is not encouraging.

Petrol & Powder
04-04-2020, 08:22 AM
I've been following this closely. Remington revised and re-released the R51 but the reports are still not good. There are rumors that Remington discontinued the pistol but it still shows on their webpage. Part of the problem is the veracity of the reporting. Some people just bash them because everyone else is bashing them. Some people fail to distinguish between the first run pistols and the post-recall production pistols - they're just all R51's to those folks.
I haven't been able to get my hands on one and shoot it AND I'm not willing to take the risk of buying one to find out for myself.

In theory and concept - it should be an outstanding pistol. In practice I cannot say that it has overcome its problems.

I really wanted this pistol to work out, it is a great concept. Lightweight alloy frame, very thin, nicely rounded edges, simple operation, good cartridge. Remington had a good idea, but I fear the reputation of that pistol may be damaged beyond recovery. Sort of like the Chevy Corvair.

fa38
04-04-2020, 08:30 AM
I have had one for about 3 years. With Rem or Winchester 115 grain hollowpoints and 115 grain FMJ Blazer no failures with a little over 500 rounds fired. I usually only load 6 in the magazines. While the trigger seems to be a plastic something or other I like the way it does not have a lot of takeup like the S&W Shield.
Maybe I just got one of better ones off the assembly line.

376Steyr
04-04-2020, 01:13 PM
I have one of the first of the revised production ones. It runs fine with jacketed factory rounds, but I get the occasional jam with my cast plinking loads, which are put up in a motley assortment of picked-up range brass.
You can find them cheap now because Remington dropped them from production, and an orphaned gun, no matter how good it may be, is going to see a huge discount. Good luck finding parts for one in the future.
I spent money on holsters and extra magazines for mine, so I'm going to keep it. If I was really enthused about it, I'd buy a couple more to cannibalize for parts.

GOPHER SLAYER
04-04-2020, 01:36 PM
When I read, "lightweight alloy frame and trigger made of who knows what", I quit reading. Junk it. If it ain't steel, I don't want it.

Petrol & Powder
04-04-2020, 05:08 PM
I will not condemn a pistol because of an aluminum alloy frame. Lots of guns use alloy frames. The technology is mature and well proven. Colt Lightweight Commanders, Beretta 92 series, most SIG's, Walther P-1 & P-5, the Ruger P-85 and many others.
Steel is a fine material to make pistol frames but it isn't the only material that's suitable. Millions of Glock owners would probably agree with me.

The Remington R51 was a good concept, poorly executed. Remington paid the price for that mistake.

Wayne Smith
04-04-2020, 08:42 PM
And my Colt Agent made in '56. I'm not worried about aluminium in the frame. Only one of us has one?

pietro
04-04-2020, 08:51 PM
And my Colt Agent made in '56. I'm not worried about aluminium in the frame. Only one of us has one?

I have a ca. 1922 cal .380 P-51, which is quite a different story..... [smilie=1:

Petrol & Powder
04-05-2020, 01:33 PM
I have a ca. 1922 cal .380 P-51, which is quite a different story..... [smilie=1:

I think you meant to write Remington model 51 not P-51

pietro
04-05-2020, 01:48 PM
I think you meant to write Remington model 51 not P-51

Some folks say "toe may toe", and others say "toe mah toe" - Model 51 & Model P-51 = samey-same. :D

justashooter
04-05-2020, 02:26 PM
remington 51 was a very different gun and was very expensive to make compared to competing product, so a commercial failure, but now a collectible gentleman's suit gun. the p51 tried to capitalise on it's reputation, and was made with **** quality modern production methods and is a technical failure.

Petrol & Powder
04-05-2020, 10:21 PM
I owned an original Remington Model 51 chambered in .380 Auto and it was a cool pistol. Mine wouldn't reliably feed hollow points (although it ran like a Swiss watch with FMJ) and it went away. I regret trading it but at the time pragmatic over-ruled collectability.

It was a fabulously well made gun of a different era. I wish I would have been able to hang onto it.

I never heard of a Remington Model 51 referred to as a P-51

Wayne Smith
04-06-2020, 07:53 AM
Well, I jumped. Ordered it last night. Classic Firearms even offered an extended guarantee! It will be my first 9mm! My others are 9MAK.

Petrol & Powder
04-06-2020, 08:02 AM
Looking forward to a full report.

nhithaca
04-06-2020, 11:06 AM
I bought one a couple of years ago at a local gun show, $200 out the door. Shoots OK, just prints too high with all loads (115 to 147 grain) and was a little fussy at first but after 250-300 rounds got better. Only likes new brass case full speed or +P loads, reloads with lead not good. Will shoot steel case Russian loads, but very dirty. Mags need to be loaded correctly with the cases seated to the rear by rapping the mag on your leg or lightly on the table. Also works best if first round is loaded from the mag by running the slide.
Great looking and feeling gun, a little too heavy to carry concealed full time. Too bad it didn't make it.

GOPHER SLAYER
04-07-2020, 04:32 PM
To all of you who love pistols made of aluminum, you can have mine. Some don't even have aluminum frames. I really don't care how many people love the Glocks, Hecler & Crotch, Beretta or what have you. More people in my state voted for Sweet Hillary than Trump but it doesn't make her the best choice. Aluminum is fine for air planes, screen doors and small fishing boats but does not make good pistol frames.If you get a ding or scratch in it, you cannot cover it with instant blue. I doubt if you will ever see any of the pistols I mentioned in a collection of fine fire arms. There are people on this sight, [God help them] who dearly love the Remington plastic.22 rifle brought out in the 1950s. UGH. To those who disagree with me, remember this, I am Ten Bears and the words I speak are words of iron while the words you speak are words of lead, plastic or possibly even silly putty.

Petrol & Powder
04-07-2020, 08:06 PM
Take a breath.

TNsailorman
04-07-2020, 08:53 PM
The calm before the storm.

Hrfunk
04-08-2020, 07:25 AM
Seems as though aluminum frames have worked pretty well for the Military during the past half century or so.

Howard

Petrol & Powder
04-08-2020, 07:56 AM
Don't use facts, logic and empirical evidence, it will only confuse the ones that want to rant. :-D

As soon as he gets done yelling at those kids on his lawn he's going to come back to this "sight" [sic] and educate us on how steel is the only possible material suitable for the receiver on a firearm......

Hrfunk
04-08-2020, 08:31 AM
Sorry. My mistake.

Howard

SwissShooter
04-08-2020, 09:46 AM
If you want a good one, you can originals on proxibid. They run just fine.

onelight
04-08-2020, 11:01 AM
Sorry. My mistake.

Howard
Good job again Howard .
But when are you going to learn poly and aluminum are just a passing FAD.:-D

GOPHER SLAYER
04-08-2020, 11:30 AM
Don't use facts, logic and empirical evidence, it will only confuse the ones that want to rant. :-D

As soon as he gets done yelling at those kids on his lawn he's going to come back to this "sight" [sic] and educate us on how steel is the only possible material suitable for the receiver on a firearm......

To began with, I don't have a lawn, it's gravel and there are no kids in this senior community. I have been interested in guns all my life and that covers a lot of decades. I have owned and traded them since I was a boy. I have also read everything I could get my hands on about fire arms. I have seen new improvements in design which usually means cheaper to make There is a reason that older hand guns are worth more money. They are made of steel not poly something or other. Maybe polyester. I am sure some of you would buy it if it was called high tech. What others want in fire arms does not interest me in the least. The hand gun you see as my avator is a Colt SA I bought around 1967 for $90. Today it is worth many times that. What do you experts think it would be worth if it were made of zinc? They did make them you know. They were copies made in Germany. The only part made of steel was the cylinder.and hammer. Even the barrel had a lining of steel. No,gentleman you keep your plastic and I will stick with steel.

FergusonTO35
04-08-2020, 12:47 PM
Our Rural King has the R51 in stock for $200.00 right now. Nobody has showed any interest in it either.

Petrol & Powder
04-08-2020, 02:53 PM
To began with, I don't have a lawn, it's gravel and there are no kids in this senior community. I have been interested in guns all my life and that covers a lot of decades. I have owned and traded them since I was a boy. I have also read everything I could get my hands on about fire arms. I have seen new improvements in design which usually means cheaper to make There is a reason that older hand guns are worth more money. They are made of steel not poly something or other. Maybe polyester. I am sure some of you would buy it if it was called high tech. What others want in fire arms does not interest me in the least. The hand gun you see as my avator is a Colt SA I bought around 1967 for $90. Today it is worth many times that. What do you experts think it would be worth if it were made of zinc? They did make them you know. They were copies made in Germany. The only part made of steel was the cylinder.and hammer. Even the barrel had a lining of steel. No,gentleman you keep your plastic and I will stick with steel.

You are entitled to like or dislike whatever you please.
Maybe someday you'll warm up to those electric lights or those new fangled horseless carriages. ;-)

GOPHER SLAYER
04-09-2020, 02:16 PM
You are entitled to like or dislike whatever you please.
Maybe someday you'll warm up to those electric lights or those new fangled horseless carriages. ;-)

Yes we do have electric lights and I have been driving the horseless carriages for a long time, probably before you were born, unless you were born in the 1940s.As for the light bulbs. I liked the light bulbs we had from the time they were invented, then a new bulb came along. Since it was new I am sure you approved. They were mandated by Emperor Oboso. They were called curly- ques and they presented a problem. If you dropped one and it broke you were to call the hazmat crew or seal off the room forever. You could not put them in the trash. You had to drive them to the nearest hazardous waste site. In my cas a 25 mile round trip. As to the horseless carriage. I thought they reached the apex of disign in the late 1960s. They were made of steel and you could actually work on them yourself and if you got into a accident, it could be repaired. Then big brother got involved and he wanted better gas millage at any cost and he wanted cars to be much lighter. The car companies loved it. They could now make cars out of lots of rubber, plastic and lots of glass. If you got into an accident there were airbags to protect you and they did for a time. After a few years the airbags began to kill people with shards of metal. Millions of cars had to be recalled to replace air bags,. mine included. All of the things I have written about were new ideas which I am sure you approved of, simply because they were new. You should read what Elmer Kieth thought of the polymer pistols when they first appeared on the scene. My opinion was mild in comparison. You can call me old fashioned, I am old and I will forever, [however much forever is left] prefer steel over plastic.

Petrol & Powder
04-09-2020, 04:57 PM
And today's word is "Luddite"

Noun

1. a person opposed to new technology or ways of working

2. one who is opposed to especially technological change

Historical:

a member of any of the bands of English workers who destroyed machinery, especially in cotton and woolen mills, that they believed was threatening their jobs (1811–16).

ADJECTIVE
Luddite (adjective)

1. opposed to new technology or ways of working.

Tomorrow we will examine the word, "facetious". ;)

gpidaho
04-09-2020, 05:33 PM
There just isn't many redeeming features to these R51's My S.I.L and I each bought the generation 2's when they first came back out with problems suppose to be fixed. They weren't. He gave up on his and gave it to me so now I have two. They are intolerable to tear down and clean and just one all around piece of junk in my opinion. I can't wait to find a pawn shop that will even take one in on trade. Ours cost about $360 back then and now gun shops can't get rid of them for $200 That should tell prospective buyers something. My LAST dealings with Remington. Gp

gpidaho
04-09-2020, 05:35 PM
See the review posted by jakarath on the other R51 thread. It's spot on!

AZ Pete
04-09-2020, 07:13 PM
Good job again Howard .
But when are you going to learn poly and aluminum are just a passing FAD.:-D

as is smokeless powder

GOPHER SLAYER
04-09-2020, 07:24 PM
And today's word is "Luddite"

Noun

1. a person opposed to new technology or ways of working

2. one who is opposed to especially technological change

Historical:

a member of any of the bands of English workers who destroyed machinery, especially in cotton and woolen mills, that they believed was threatening their jobs (1811–16).

ADJECTIVE
Luddite (adjective)

1. opposed to new technology or ways of working.

Tomorrow we will examine the word, "facetious". ;)

i thought I explained my feelings about junk being offered as an improvement. I am aware of the people to whom you refer and what they were called. You on the other hand worship at the alter of anything new whether it is a piece of junk or not. I think the new improved R51 fits that description. I understand you can pick one up at a big discount. You very clearly cannot deal with the idea of someone disagreeing with you.

Petrol & Powder
04-09-2020, 11:32 PM
i thought I explained my feelings about junk being offered as an improvement. I am aware of the people to whom you refer and what they were called. You on the other hand worship at the alter of anything new whether it is a piece of junk or not. I think the new improved R51 fits that description. I understand you can pick one up at a big discount. You very clearly cannot deal with the idea of someone disagreeing with you.

DUDE !

Lighten UP

I am KIDDING !!!!

:bigsmyl2:

Are you REALLY that serious ???

WOW...……..

Idaho45guy
04-10-2020, 12:19 AM
DUDE !

Lighten UP

I am KIDDING !!!!

Are you REALLY that serious ???

WOW...……..

I believe the current pandemic is affecting some more so than others, mentally. I've seen plenty examples of it lately on a number of internet forums. Some people are beginning to crack.

kenton
04-10-2020, 07:26 AM
I'm still trying to figure out how the pentacle of automotive tech was in the 1960s. Yeah they were easier to work on, and they needed to be since they needed a tune up every 3000 miles. If you had one go more than 100,000 miles you had a gem. I haven't gotten rid of a car with less than 200,000 miles since I started driving and those all still ran when they got sold or scrapped.

dkf
04-10-2020, 11:10 AM
Its too bad, I liked a lot of the features and looks of the R51. But Remington screwed it up.

AZ Pete
04-10-2020, 11:12 AM
I'm still trying to figure out how the pentacle of automotive tech was in the 1960s. Yeah they were easier to work on, and they needed to be since they needed a tune up every 3000 miles. If you had one go more than 100,000 miles you had a gem. I haven't gotten rid of a car with less than 200,000 miles since I started driving and those all still ran when they got sold or scrapped.

and.....a lot of steel was replaced with aluminum and plastic....but the cars still last at least twice as long. Sorry, couldn't resist

Petrol & Powder
04-10-2020, 12:18 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how a person's acceptance of an aluminum alloy receiver equates to that person "worship[ing] at the alter of anything new" ?? Or how seeing aluminum and polymer as possible suitable materials for handgun receivers means you also MUST like compact fluorescent lamps (Curly-ques) ???

Who knew you could derive so much information about another person's beliefs based solely on what materials they think are suitable for firearm receivers ?

GOPHER SLAYER
04-10-2020, 04:34 PM
P&P, I thought I explained myself and my preferences very well when it came to light bulbs and automobiles. Apparently you did not read that post. I have my beliefs and you have yours and I am tired of debating the differences.

Lagamor
04-10-2020, 08:08 PM
I bought a Gen 2. Broke it in with a couple of hundred rounds, the springs are pretty stout at first. Got 1,500 rounds through it now. Haven’t had a problem since the first couple hundred. Going to put another 500 and if it clears those I’ll CCL it.
It’s different to shoot for sure.

Petrol & Powder
04-11-2020, 08:12 AM
P&P, I thought I explained myself and my preferences very well when it came to light bulbs and automobiles. Apparently you did not read that post. I have my beliefs and you have yours and I am tired of debating the differences.

I did read your posts and you made assumptions about me that are incorrect.

You wrote: ".....I liked the light bulbs we had from the time they were invented, then a new bulb came along. Since it was new I am sure you approved. "

In the same post (#27) you wrote: "......All of the things I have written about were new ideas which I am sure you approved of, simply because they were new."

Then in another demonstration that you read the minds of others, you wrote in post #32: "You on the other hand worship at the alter of anything new whether it is a piece of junk or not."

So Gopher, let's get something straight, No one has suggested that steel is a bad material for firearm receivers. Further more, you are welcome to disagree with those who believe aluminum and polymer have proven to work as suitable materials for firearm receivers.
However you do not possess the ability to peer into the minds of others.
Simply because you disagree with me doesn't mean that I worship at the alter of all things new. Nor does it mean that I approve of all things new.

My attempts at sarcasm were obviously lost on you.

GOPHER SLAYER
04-11-2020, 07:41 PM
I understand sarcasm very well and it is always lost on me. I can live without it.

bigted
04-12-2020, 10:14 AM
What ??? An ENTIRE 3 page post with NO PICTURES???

GOPHER SLAYER
04-12-2020, 03:56 PM
What ??? An ENTIRE 3 page post with NO PICTURES???

Ted, since I am partially responsible for the length of this thread, these pictures are for you. With one exception, the holsters were made by me.

Wayne Smith
04-12-2020, 04:22 PM
No pictures because I have an e-mail that the gun has shipped it hasn't hit my shop yet. Thus I don't have it to take a pic of.

Wayne Smith
04-18-2020, 12:26 PM
Just picked it up. Ordered 500 Berry's bullets from Cabelas and they are backordered for a week or so. No matter since all the ranges are closed.

JeffG
04-18-2020, 11:01 PM
I have one of the revised R51’s. Love the look and feel. It has also shot just fine. It shoots a little low so have some heavier rounds to try, just not got to it yet. I try not to shoot it too much, trying to keep it pristine. Teardown for cleaning is not the easiest but not a big problem.

sigep1764
04-19-2020, 12:18 PM
How do you feel about the plastic grips on some of those "classic steel" firearms you've had for years? :kidding:

GOPHER SLAYER
04-19-2020, 02:34 PM
I know, to some of you the sight of all those beautiful steel pistols is like showing a cross to Dracula but to me and many others they are eye candy. As for the two with white epoxy grips, I lye awake nights worrying about them. They are of course easily replaced should I wish to. I did keep the walnut grips.

Idaho45guy
04-19-2020, 07:47 PM
I know, to some of you the sight of all those beautiful steel pistols is like showing a cross to Dracula but to me and many others they are eye candy. As for the two with white epoxy grips, I lye awake nights worrying about them. They are of course easily replaced should I wish to. I did keep the walnut grips.

Myself and plenty of other people have a deep appreciation for the craftsmanship and beauty of a deeply blued classic revolver, but also carry a polymer striker-fired compact pistol because it is smarter and more efficient.

I love this pistol:

But rely on this one to defend my life with:

I love this old beater:

But rely on this one to get me safely to work and the woods and back in comfort:

GOPHER SLAYER
04-19-2020, 09:11 PM
Idaho45, I appreciate what you posted but answer me one question please, as honestly as is humanly possible. If for some reason you could only keep one of those two pistols would it be? No fudging now.

Texas by God
04-19-2020, 09:45 PM
My grips ain’t plastic, they’s Gutta Percha! Look it up.....

Idaho45guy
04-19-2020, 10:31 PM
Idaho45, I appreciate what you posted but answer me one question please, as honestly as is humanly possible. If for some reason you could only keep one of those two pistols would it be? No fudging now.

It depends.

If I had to sell one for money, it would be the Sig since my dad gave me the Uberti. But, if I had only one pistol to rely on for self-defense and utilitarian reasons, the Sig would be a keeper.

GOPHER SLAYER
04-20-2020, 02:41 PM
Idaho, you're fudging. What I intended in my question was, you could only have one pistol for your shooting, whatever type it was. No qualifiers. Since this thread has morphed into including trucks I will relate my experience this morning. While driving home this morning, after having a delicious breakfast at Mickie Dees I stopped at my faforite garage to see about a brake job for my car. I had the work done and when it was done I asked the owner a question. I him asked if he was offered a new truck and had his choice of a 1970 or a 2020 model, which would he take? He replied, the 1970 and I would not have to think about it for a second. A friend of mine has just bought a new pickup and while he likes to drive it, he is not happy about the fact that he cannot work on it. You cannot even check the transmission oil . There is no dip stick, The tranny is sealed for 100k miles. You can start it with you cell phone from inside the house. I think that has been standard for several years. If the wiring loom ever burned up in a new vehicle it would cost mega bucks to fix. I bout a 1969 Ford F100 in 1976 for 1K, drove it for 39 years and sold it for for the same price. I am not saying that these new polyester guns don't shoot well. They do. I have shot some very small groups with a Glock. What I am saying is, they would shoot just as well if made of steel. There are a few companies who make them that way.

35remington
04-20-2020, 08:10 PM
Since a pistol is primarily a self defense and utilitarian piece I’d say Idaho gave you a good answer. Just sayin,”

gpidaho
04-20-2020, 08:29 PM
I'm just not that hung up on steel. Yes I own a few all steel except for the grips weapons. Just took delivery of a new Beretta APX. Fits my hand perfectly, Doesn't need throated as most striker fired pistols do and shoots to point of aim with my cast loads. That and under $400 what's not to like? Gp

GOPHER SLAYER
04-20-2020, 09:12 PM
I'm just not that hung up on steel. Yes I own a few all steel except for the grips weapons. Just took delivery of a new Beretta APX. Fits my hand perfectly, Doesn't need throated as most striker fired pistols do and shoots to point of aim with my cast loads. That and under $400 what's not to like? Gp I am very hung up on steel. I love the iron age. They discovered you could make steel out of it.

Wayne Smith
05-26-2020, 07:21 PM
No pics yet but yesterday had a chance to get out in the country and did fire three magazines of my best friend's 115gr reloads through it. Only one FTL that wasn't my fault, and I think that was a magazine problem. Still waiting on Cabela's to send me Berry's bullets for it.

gpidaho
05-26-2020, 07:40 PM
Wayne: Like I mentioned before I'm the somewhat dubious lucky owner of two of these second try R51s. They do need to have the cast bullets seated deeper than I'd like because the lack a proper throat but seem to handle these loads ok. One of mine has about a thousand rounds through it and the ftf's have smoothed out a bit and are rare. It's not the most comfortable 9 to shoot and the real treat is when you field strip and clean the R51's. You'll see what I mean. Good luck, I hope it works for you as the cost has come down A LOT from when they were first released and that's a good thing. Gp

elmacgyver0
05-26-2020, 07:50 PM
I prefer steel guns myself, but that doesn't mean I don't take an occasional jaunt to the dark side.

Lagamor
05-26-2020, 08:28 PM
I have an R51 and I broke the magazine springs by only loading 5 at a time for the first 500 rounds. Haven’t had a failure in a very long time.

Baltimoreed
05-26-2020, 08:33 PM
My preference has always been steel and walnut but I do have some aluminum in my safe. Happy to say no plastic except for some plastic stuff hanging off the aluminum.

Drydock
05-26-2020, 08:39 PM
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=final+scene+of+%22inheirit+the+wind%22&&view=detail&mid=499EAF0D5365F40626D2499EAF0D5365F40626D2&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dfinal%2Bscene%2Bof%2B% 2522inheirit%2Bthe%2Bwind%2522%26%26FORM%3DVDVVXX

Wayne Smith
07-07-2020, 03:23 PM
Thought I'd update - Cabela's finally got the Berry's 124gr bullets in and I now have 500 of them. I have loaded 100 and shot about 95 of them - with only two smokestacks with 4.3gr AA#2 (+P load) - and I figure this is expected and normal for a new gun. When I have about 500 rounds through it I expect it will have settled in.